Uninterruptible Power Supply UPS for the home

t6blo

VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Posting here as not directly related to Transporters….

Anyone got a UPS or backup power at home? @Dellmassive probably has some experience here :whistle:

I have just moved over to full fibre (FTTP) for our home internet and this includes my home phone being moved from a traditional copper landline to Digital Voice - in other words my home phone is now VoIP.

In the event of a power cut I now have no internet therefore no landline either.

I’m all for modern tech but this seems abit of a risk - especially if the mobile network goes down too.

So thinking about backup power……

• My internet equipment (including ONT, router, switch and wi-fi access points) runs from my little network cabinet in the loft. It uses 240v draws a constant 34W.
  • Ideally I’d like a run time of several hours rather than minutes.
  • For ease I probably need to present 240v to the cab8net rather than trying to work out/make adapters to step down the voltage to supply each device.
I could just buy a UPS like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/CyberPower...fos.d7e5a2de-8759-4da3-993c-d11b6e3d217f&th=1

But was wondering if there was anything I could do with a leaisure battery and invertor to achieve the same thing?

You could put something together with a battery, inverter and charger, but it will be far cheaper and simpler to buy a unit like the one you have linked to.
You just need to do the power calculation to calculate what capacity UPS you need.

I have a couple of low capacity UPS devices at home to keep WiFi hubs running, but I need a runtime of tens of minutes not hours.

Pete

I have had one for several years, similar to the one you linked to.
I used to have a large capacity NAS that reacted very badly to any power outage, which is why I bought it. It powers all my computer equipment in my office.

How often do you have power cuts? I know living in Essex can be a bit primitive :))) but are they really that regular to warrant this setup? Especially if your concern is if the mobile service is down too. If the mobile network is down because it’s a widespread power issue would the internet not also be down?

We had an issue with the power in our street a few years ago (I know, crazy that these can happen in Herts too #feelyourpain) and so the power was out for a day or two and we found it quite fun, like camping out in the house. Takeaways, candles, board games, no work etc, it was great. Having said this if it would have lasted a few hours longer we would probably have been trying to stab each other with the blunt end of a candle but as a one off event it was alright. Used the van battery do help charge some stuff and the noco starter was used throughout.

I have a cheap APC Back-UPS that I got off ebay, (about £30) took the small internal battery out of it and added an external battery port, now have two large 90Ah 12V batteries connected in parallel alongside it in the loft. It runs my CCTV system in case of power cuts. Should last a couple of days. I've been thinking of adding another 4 batteries to it and running my combi boiler (also in the loft) off it as well.

You may have power running things at your end, but the scenario you set out suggests that it wouldn’t connect to much once outside your house (especially if the mobile providers are out!)

I would focus more on how your kit could handle a sudden loss of power or lightening strike nearby

you mean these. . . ?

Home UPS with 3pin and IEC sockets. - 1500VA / 900w

they run the servers, switch, router, pc, screens. etc etc.

ives about 15mins to enable correct shutdown and power notifications to be sent out.

1707563462136.png1707563478092.png

been running since 2018 & 2019

About this item​

• 6 x Battery and Surge Protected outlets - 4 x IEC + 2 x UK
  • Automatic Voltage Regulator (AVR) and EMI, RFI, Surge and Spike Protection
  • Phone/Fax/Modem/DSL/Network Protection and Auto-Restart/Auto-Charge
  • LCD Status Monitor/USB and Serial Ports
  • GreenPower UPS Technology

1707563517215.png

you could hack together a 12v battery and inverter setup.

but tbh,

the best thing is a "fit for purpose" UPS.

APC is a known brand, amongst others.

i use CyberPower myself.

Thanks all for your replies.

@cgtmiles Essex is a dodgy place lol :whistle:
@Pete C @YellowHound my usual approach is to cobble something but they make UPSs for a reason to do the job I guess :thumbsup:
@Grim Reaper external port sounds interesting
@JOG well yes, I guess you are right.
@Dellmassive the ones you have are the pure sine wave version, there is a cheaper one too.

Off to order one of them what @Dellmassive has :cool:

One of these with some 30A Anderson connectors wired to where the original battery wiring went to. I also added a second fan inside the case to keep things cool in the heat of the loft.

I love these UPS hacks.

I see a YT vid the other week where a guy hacked in a 100Ah lithium battery for extended run time on his 600va UPS.

Similar idea, but they used the sb50 Anderson conection.

Back