Anyone used these SAE Weatherproof sidewall connectors before?

ceej

VIP Member
Hey all,

This connector came up in my Amazon feed today. Was actually wondering if anyone used anything like this before. Keen to hear if they are indeed waterproof and if they are actually any good.

Was thinking of using this as a quick connect to extend lights into the Awning.

Any thoughts?

I’ve got one, planning to use it to connect to the solar connectors on my Ctek as I’ve got no requirement for a solar panel yet but wanted the ability to connect a mobile/folding one in the future if required.

Not installed it yet but it seems decent enough. Gauge does appear to be 12awg as advertised (photo comparison to some other 12awg cable I’ve got). I’d say it’s probably splash proof / would be fine in the rain and would probably withstand a hose or similar. Hope that helps.

25A8C46F-DB52-487E-A28C-D1D58D6EC00E.jpeg

9F14DBEC-6709-4FF2-B0FC-C0E7FF6C2F0D.jpeg

that’s super helpful thanks!

Are you planning on installing this on the exterior of the van on inside?

Just on the inside next to my 12v sockets etc and then I’d run cabling to the solar panel through the side window or something. Not the neatest solution but it works for what I need.

Just a thought about alternative solutions...I've cabled up a dedicated (fused) wire to the battery which terminates in a DIN socket. My solar input (from portable panels fitted with a charger) goes directly into this. The benefit is that I use an adapter for the DIN and have a cig lighter socket available when needed.

1661433559056.png

Just on the inside next to my 12v sockets etc and then I’d run cabling to the solar panel through the side window or something. Not the neatest solution but it works for what I need.
Ah ok, I was thinking of using something like this next to my electric hook up. But worried about how weatherproof it really is.

Just a thought about alternative solutions...I've cabled up a dedicated (fused) wire to the battery which terminates in a DIN socket. My solar input (from portable panels fitted with a charger) goes directly into this. The benefit is that I use an adapter for the DIN and have a cig lighter socket available when needed.

View attachment 170193
That’s not a bad idea!
i was just hopeful that I could find something for external use. But might have to scrap that., unless I mount something in the engine bay.

That’s not a bad idea!
i was just hopeful that I could find something for external use. But might have to scrap that., unless I mount something in the engine bay.

The rear door(s) close over the cables no problem at all.

I'd go for a XT60 panel mount with a dust cover over the SAE types.
Low voltage 12V doesn't really need IP65 protection as the voltage isn't high enough to warrant it.
When the male side of the connector is in place the connections are protected by the plug shape, the dust cover goes on when there's nothing plugged in.
I have a couple of Anderson connectors secreted in the space above the sliding door rail above the door for my 12V feed out to the awning, no weather protection and they work just fine.
IMG_20220831_110738.jpg

Last edited:
I'd go for a XT60 panel mount with a dust cover over the SAE types.
Low voltage 12V doesn't really need IP65 protection as the voltage isn't high enough to warrant it.
When the male side of the connector is in place the connections are protected by the plug shape, the dust cover goes on when there's nothing plugged in.
I have a couple of Anderson connectors secreted in the space above the sliding door rail above the door for my 12V feed out to the awning, no weather protection and they work just fine.
View attachment 170744
That is utterly genius location!

Back