EGR pipe replacement - OEM or aftermarket?

Jimmock

VIP Member
I need a new rear EGR pipe for my 2017 t6 102hp as the present one has developed the common problem, crack in the corrugated section. Genuine VW part is £160 ! was £40 4 years ago ! It's now modified to be stronger.
Question is do I get genuine VW pipe or an eBay one which is £40 ?
In theory I could buy 4 eBay ones for the price of a genuine one.
Has anyone bought and fitted an eBay pipe and did it last ?
Cheers.

If you post the link you’ve found for the Ebay item it would be easier to compare.

If you post the link you’ve found for the Ebay item it would be easier to compare.
Hi DXX, here's the link for two on eBay , many more like it.

Isn’t that the original design that keeps failing?

Isn’t that the original design that keeps failing?
Hi, no it's not the same as original. Also not the same as new genuine VW. Difference seems to be eBay ones have an over spring with some sort of gauze, the VW one has changed to two parts. One part cast and the other end stainless steel.

Hi, no it's not the same as original. Also not the same as new genuine VW. Difference seems to be eBay ones have an over spring with some sort of gauze, the VW one has changed to two parts. One part cast and the other end stainless steel.
It’s not an ‘over spring’ it’s a press formed bellows to allow for thermal expansion, the gauze is a heat sink as far as I’m aware to reduce stress, commonly used on EGR pipes.

It’s not an ‘over spring’ it’s a press formed bellows to allow for thermal expansion, the gauze is a heat sink as far as I’m aware to reduce stress, commonly used on EGR pipes.
Thanks, I stand corrected. Looked to me like a spring but on closer inspection I can see it's a formed part of the pipe.
Similar to the VW one then but doesn't look as well made, obviously related to the cost.
So I think I'm going for the genuine VW one.

The newest version is also different, it has a cast section. I would double check the PN at a stealer then look online.

The new revision of the pipe is a cast section welded to the press formed section - all in one piece, you can see the weld in the photo.

I would be wary of Chinese knockoff copies. It's such a PITA to change; I would only ever buy OEM product.

The new revision of the pipe is a cast section welded to the press formed section - all in one piece, you can see the weld in the photo.
Thanks, that's the one i've ordered.

These say genuine VW parts and the website is certainly very detailed with access to all the manuals. Are they not genuine VW items? I saw the gauze around them when I was looking at their website and thought I had never seen it before

I got the EGR priced up the other day at GSF and I think the pipes were £50 each. Pierburg ones which I think are OEM anyway.

As per my Facebook response……only the genuine one. Worth getting a set of bolts and gaskets at the same time.
I have posted the part numbers somewhere in the big egr pipe thread on this forum.

I need a new rear EGR pipe for my 2017 t6 102hp as the present one has developed the common problem, crack in the corrugated section. Genuine VW part is £160 ! was £40 4 years ago ! It's now modified to be stronger.
Question is do I get genuine VW pipe or an eBay one which is £40 ?
In theory I could buy 4 eBay ones for the price of a genuine one.
Has anyone bought and fitted an eBay pipe and did it last ?
Cheers.
Hi I had a split egr rear pipe and my T6 was out of warranty I spoke directly to VW Head Office to explain the situation and to bring it to there attention that it was a safety issue as fumes where entering the Cab and I was really happy that they agreed to do it for free under warranty.

Back