Cracked EGR pipe

Dom76

I have a 2018 caravelle 204 DSG with only 21000 on the clock, which has developed a crack in the rear EGR pipe, I have called numerous local garages all of whom are busy for the next couple of weeks. So I was wondering if using the van in current state will do any further damage, obviously will have to drive with windows open. Also if I need to do it myself are any special tools required for tight access etc.
Thanks in advance

Don't have the technical knowledge to answer authoritatively, but can say that our Volvo had a smell of fumes for months (I didn't drive it regularly so didn't know) that was due to a cracked or split EGR pipe. The garage replaced the pipe and didn't say anything at all about possible consequential damage - except to my wallet. A few months on and it is still running fine.

I have a 2018 caravelle 204 DSG with only 21000 on the clock, which has developed a crack in the rear EGR pipe, I have called numerous local garages all of whom are busy for the next couple of weeks. So I was wondering if using the van in current state will do any further damage, obviously will have to drive with windows open. Also if I need to do it myself are any special tools required for tight access etc.
Thanks in advance
If I were in your situation I would keep phoning other garages until you get a near date booking.
The split EGR pipe issue is well covered on this forum, have a Search and you find the information you need.

Yeah, there's a whole thread here

I've found keeping the heater off means I don't get fumes in the cabin, I can use it with Aircon switched on and it's fine, just not without Aircon switched on.

On a caravelle getting to the pipe is a tricky job thanks to all the extra coolant pipes, DSG oil cooler etc etc.

Thanks guys have managed to get it booked in for next week, so knuckles are saved and main dealer wont be robbing me just got to take it a bit further out.

I ended up at main dealer in the end. They initially wanted £485, but played on the fact that the car has only 21000 on the clock with full vw history, the part is a known failure which vw know about and have redesigned the part to overcome issues and stated this work should be done on recall under safety concerns due to getting exhaust gases in the cabin. So I pushed for some vw good will, in the end had to pay £160.

Reactions: CAB
The material cost is about £160 for the pipe, gasket and bolts so I assume they gave the labour for free.
yeah probably, on the invoice they made it look like labour and parts were discounted, must just be an accounting thing.

Back