Burst egr pipes

Jimm

VIP Member
help appreciated please. CXGB engine, ca.55k miles.

Had rear egr pipe replaced under warranty 2 months ago (hole in it) and now front one has completely come away from its flange - see pic. Sadly warranty expired a month and a half ago!
What causes these to go? Material Fatigue? Bursting under pressure?
Where I’m going with this, is do I have a chance of claiming this front pipe failing is a symptom of a greater problem that occurred during the warranty period, that also caused the rear pipe to fail, so therefore problem not properly fixed under warranty?
Long shot?!
Thanks,
Jim

1D5765E3-EC95-4BE6-8B06-845C34669317.jpeg

8FA065FC-9654-466B-9B5E-EF931FABCD02.jpeg

Very long shot, but no harm in trying. Failing that £60 and fit yourself as it is quite accessible apart from the rear bolt but still doable. Did mine.
You can also do a temporary fix using rad weld, just dont rag it!

Very long shot, but no harm in trying. Failing that £60 and fit yourself as it is quite accessible apart from the rear bolt but still doable. Did mine.
Yeah it’s more the concern that there’s a bigger problem lurking that caused them to go. Got a big trip in Europe coming up soon so don’t want nasty surprises. The forum is littered with tales of EGR-related woe! Cheers

I would suggest it's not been fitted properly, dilbert has tightened up 1 end and then pushed the lower end to line up with the holes putting stress on the pipe.

It's a simple DIY task on the front pipe, you will need a m8 or m10 star bit, some extensions and for the opposite end a t25 or t30 torx but a 1/4 drive ratchet and some long extensions. The lower screw is awkward to reach.

Back