Ecoflow Delta 2

When used with a solar panel (the EcoFlow 220W one in this case) the unit can actually lose charge. Let me clarify:

Obviously, when switched off, no charge is lost. But if a solar panel is connected it seems that as soon as there is enough daylight for the solar panel to output something, this turns the unit on. At this point, the unit can be using more than the solar panel is providing. So if it is a dull, cloudy day, it seems that the solar panel keeps the unit on while not providing enough power to cover the residual needs of the unit.

Hence, if left with the solar panel connected over several cloudy days, while the unit will switch off each night, the solar panel output turns it on come daylight and, overall, the unit will lose power.

I’m using with a 155w panel. My EF is always on, but 12v and 230v is turned off (I turn them on/off via the app when needed). The only thing drawing power from the EF is a. itself and b. the Wi-Fi dongle plugged into the USBA port on the front. This typically pulls around 1W continually.

So even on a cloudy day I am seeing 20-30w coming in and full sun over 100w - this is more than enough to fully charge the EF every day replenishing the 15% or so it uses since last charge/over night.

What I am finding though, is if the EF reaches 100% by lunchtime for example, I am not clear at what point the solar kicks back in - I would have hoped it kept trickle charging it to maintain 100% but it seems what actually happens is it register fully charged to 100% and then either waits a period of time or until the percentage drops again to say 90% or 95% - by which time it is dusk and so it doesn’t recharge until the sun comes up the next day.

Is this how a leisure battery and mppt would behave too?
I wonder what would happen if I had a bigger load on the EF - would charging kick back in during the afternoon?

When used with a solar panel (the EcoFlow 220W one in this case) the unit can actually lose charge. Let me clarify:

Obviously, when switched off, no charge is lost. But if a solar panel is connected it seems that as soon as there is enough daylight for the solar panel to output something, this turns the unit on. At this point, the unit can be using more than the solar panel is providing. So if it is a dull, cloudy day, it seems that the solar panel keeps the unit on while not providing enough power to cover the residual needs of the unit.

Hence, if left with the solar panel connected over several cloudy days, while the unit will switch off each night, the solar panel output turns it on come daylight and, overall, the unit will lose power.
Good to know and makes sense. I now feel the need to experiment!

I’m using with a 155w panel. My EF is always on, but 12v and 230v is turned off (I turn them on/off via the app when needed). The only thing drawing power from the EF is a. itself and b. the Wi-Fi dongle plugged into the USBA port on the front. This typically pulls around 1W continually.

So even on a cloudy day I am seeing 20-30w coming in and full sun over 100w - this is more than enough to fully charge the EF every day replenishing the 15% or so it uses since last charge/over night.

What I am finding though, is if the EF reaches 100% by lunchtime for example, I am not clear at what point the solar kicks back in - I would have hoped it kept trickle charging it to maintain 100% but it seems what actually happens is it register fully charged to 100% and then either waits a period of time or until the percentage drops again to say 90% or 95% - by which time it is dusk and so it doesn’t recharge until the sun comes up the next day.

Is this how a leisure battery and mppt would behave too?
I wonder what would happen if I had a bigger load on the EF - would charging kick back in during the afternoon?
In case anyone was interested, I have answered my own question by experimenting…..

Once the EF has charged to 100%, it will turn off charging. This is expected. The drain of the device itself and the 1W of my Wi-Fi dongle will then drain it slowly over time.

It seems the 1W is not enough to trigger it to kick back in automatically later in the day, but it will the next morning and recharge via solar to 100%.

So, if charged to 100% e.g. in full sun by lunchtime, and then draining down to say 92% by tea time, if I use the app to simply toggle the inverter on, wait 20 secs and then toggle it off (there is nothing plugged into the 13a sockets), this is sufficient draw for the EF to kick the solar charging back in and it will charge it back up again until dusk.

Guys I am going to call this out. I am about convinced the Ecoflow is not as efficient or as usable as my Jackery.

2 examples

1. If I left it switched on overnight with no load the Ecoflow drains as above 21% over 12hours but the Jackery didn’t do that.

2. this morning I have a very flat leisure battery. I plugged the Ecoflow in to the van inverter SOC 98% and its topped to 100% & switched it off. However even though the Ecoflow was full it still draws a lot of power. The van inverter left switched on, no load, pulls 0.45a. so it is not that. I did this many times with the Jackery with no issue. When full it just stopped taking any load.

All in all a good piece of kit but it does have some flaws that I never saw in the Jackery.

Faulty....

I checked my EcoFlow app as I do most days to ensure the solar is charging the battery bank. Showing 100% - nice.

Checked it again about 2 hours later and it is now showing 0% and the battery failure symbol is flashing :mad:

After some head scratching, if I power it off, wait 5 mins and then power it back on, it briefly shows 95% on the display and then after 10 seconds immediately jumps to 0% and battery failure symbol flashes again.

FFS

Faulty....

I checked my EcoFlow app as I do most days to ensure the solar is charging the battery bank. Showing 100% - nice.

Checked it again about 2 hours later and it is now showing 0% and the battery failure symbol is flashing :mad:

After some head scratching, if I power it off, wait 5 mins and then power it back on, it briefly shows 95% on the display and then after 10 seconds immediately jumps to 0% and battery failure symbol flashes again.

FFS
I had similar last week. I had to charge it to 100%. Immediately start to discharge it down to zero. Recharge to 100% again down to zero again and back to 100%.

A real pain but it worked.

Thanks, that’s what they have responded with too.

Not sure how I’m supposed to discharge it when it won’t stay on for more than 5 seconds though - unless the outputs still work?

Thanks, that’s what they have responded with too.

Not sure how I’m supposed to discharge it when it won’t stay on for more than 5 seconds though - unless the outputs still work?
I have found that leaving the solar permanently connected eventually confuses the BMS to the extent that the unit requires a full discharge (ignore the stated charge % - discharge it until it shuts down) and recharge to 100% to reset things.
I’m not sure how EcoFlows new PowerStream balcony solar system gets around this, but that does appear to have a unit (micro inverter) between the solar panel and the power bank, so maybe that has a better BMS in it?

I have found that leaving the solar permanently connected eventually confuses the BMS to the extent that the unit requires a full discharge (ignore the stated charge % - discharge it until it shuts down) and recharge to 100% to reset things.
I’m not sure how EcoFlows new PowerStream balcony solar system gets around this, but that does appear to have a unit (micro inverter) between the solar panel and the power bank, so maybe that has a better BMS in it?
I've ordered a power stream.... It's in 5weeks lead time.

It's basically a 800w micro inverter... And when used with a delta or other can be used a UPS.

Let's see.

I've ordered a power stream.... It's in 5weeks lead time.

It's basically a 800w micro inverter... And when used with a delta or other can be used a UPS.

Let's see.
I am also thinking about ordering one, but I am not sure how, exactly, it controls the feed into the house ring main? So if your house is (for arguments sake) totally switched off, does the Powerstream back-feed into the national grid??? Do you need to actively manage it depending on the load?

So roll-on 5 weeks and another @Dellmassive "How I done it" (you should copyright that phrase!) report... :)

I had similar last week. I had to charge it to 100%. Immediately start to discharge it down to zero. Recharge to 100% again down to zero again and back to 100%.

A real pain but it worked.

Thank you for the suggestions.

This morning, after leaving it off all night, it appears to be working again :rolleyes:

I have it plugged back into the solar panel and it is charging again - albeit at only 35w as it is overcast. No sign of the battery failure symbol.

Obviously don't want something unreliable but will try draining it and then letting it charge back up. It has been working perfectly recharging to 100% every day on solar for about 1.5 months.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
Lots of threads about the Ecoflow but has anyone tried any other manufacturer? - ie. Anker, Bluetti, Aferiy. I think the eco is the only one with an app so is this why its so popular or is it better than these others?

Just wanted to add that the jackery is not without its kink, I’m happy with my unit but if left for a few months self discharges while still showing a full battery and requires a full recharge to sort itself out, I think all these types of units can have minor BMS glitches or an inability to monitor minor currents etc

Lots of threads about the Ecoflow but has anyone tried any other manufacturer? - ie. Anker, Bluetti, Aferiy. I think the eco is the only one with an app so is this why its so popular or is it better than these others?
I had the Jackery 1000w which I swapped for the Ecoflow Delta 2. Upside is it has an 1800w output and can charge at up 1200w. The app is great making it more functional ie change charging speed turn the USB,AC sockets innit off Uber the web. .

The Jackery had better efficiency in its usability. For example if I leave the Delta 2 AC switch on it took 21% overnight with no load the Jackery did not do that. But a slow charging speed at 150w. 7hours from 0 to 100%.

Just wanted to add that the jackery is not without its kink, I’m happy with my unit but if left for a few months self discharges while still showing a full battery and requires a full recharge to sort itself out, I think all these types of units can have minor BMS glitches or an inability to monitor minor currents etc
Both the Jackery and Ecoflow have done that to me as well. They all need a calibration charge at some point.

No, I've delayed the purchase. I've reconfigured the leisure set up and purchased a different portable fridge- working well with the 200w solar panel.

Back