DVLA - Changing V5 to increase number of seats

CJW

2016 T6.0 T32 SL-to-Camper
VIP Member
T6 Guru
Good evening to all the members of the best forum on the internet.

I have had a seat fitted in the rear that takes my number of passengers from 3 (panel van) to 5 (camper conversion, Cascade Solace seat). I’ve got the test paperwork and need to notify DVLA, then my insurance company. The DVLA website just says ‘send documents’ with no specifics. Has anyone been through this process, and what did DVLA need? If I was to guess, I’d say a photo, a receipt and a copy of the test certificate.

Any advice gratefully received.

Chris

Just changing the number of seats won't convince the DVLA to change to campervan.
It's nigh impossible to get from PV to Camper these days.
You can inform DVLA of change in seat numbers by filling in the change on you V5. I did it when I went from 3 to 2 and ill be doing it again soon from 2 to 4.

Reactions: CJW
Hi. Yes, I’m not trying to change it to a motorhome, just the number of seats. The DVLA form says send docs - but which ones?

Hi. Yes, I’m not trying to change it to a motorhome, just the number of seats. The DVLA form says send docs - but which ones?
Just the V5 sent to dvla in Swansea. There’s a section with boxes on where you can change details. One being ‘number of seats’, just adapt this and send it off.

My V5 stated 3 seats from new, but it only had 2. However, I waited until I had the rear (2-seat) bench fitted then sent to V5 off to change it to 4 seats. No issues at all.

My V5 stated 3 seats from new, but it only had 2. However, I waited until I had the rear (2-seat) bench fitted then sent to V5 off to change it to 4 seats. No issues at all.
Mine was exactly the same as yours. Bought new as a 2 seater, V5 said 3, fitted a RIB and asked DVLA to change to 4 seater.
Came back changed within a couple of weeks:thumbsup:
No hassle to do it.

My van was a panel van, purchased and converted by Snug Campers. (3 back seats kombi conversion and bench seat swapped for passenger captain) When I bought the van from Snug Campers he sent a letter off along with the V5 explaining how he is a professional converter and these are the changes he made, when I received the V5 in my name it was listed as 5 seats.

As above, no documentation was needed to change mine from 3 seats to 4.

When I bought our T6.1 last November with 6 seats and windows the V5 came with a 3 seat panel van I filled V5 in and sent it off 11 weeks later they asked for proof and if they didn’t receive it they would leave it registered as 3 seat panel van.
I took lots of pictures and copies of safety certificates and sent them off 2 weeks later new V5 with 6 seats and windows fitted.

John.

When I bought our T6.1 last November with 6 seats and windows the V5 came with a 3 seat panel van I filled V5 in and sent it off 11 weeks later they asked for proof and if they didn’t receive it they would leave it registered as 3 seat panel van.
I took lots of pictures and copies of safety certificates and sent them off 2 weeks later new V5 with 6 seats and windows fitted.

John.
Thank you. I’ll go belt and braces with this approach.

Mine still has 3 seats on the V5 though it has 2 single front and 3 individual rears. Salop Vans Kombi conversion.
It's insured as a 5 seater (pics sent to Brentacre) but has been though 2 MoT's with no problems.
I do know someone who has a Caravelle who took his van in for an MoT with the rear seats out and they pulled him up on it, so maybe if they are supposed to be there and aren't it's worse than not supposed to be there and are?

Thank you. Mine is now a permanent 5. Docs went off with photo evidence, copy of crash test certificate and invoice of seat supply and fit. Will post back here in a couple of weeks.

Hello, I have a 5 seat T6 showing as 3 seats on the V5. Are there any advantages to correcting this with the DVLA?

Hello, I have a 5 seat T6 showing as 3 seats on the V5. Are there any advantages to correcting this with the DVLA?
I would say it is an insurance issue, especially if you are carrying a full complement of passengers.

Mine had 2 captains seats fron new. Yet the V5 said 3 seats. I fitted a double seat in the back, so now the van has 4 seats.
Filled in the V5, sent if off, the new V5 came back with, you guessed it, 3 seats.

Its insured as 4 seats so I'm not that bothered what is says on the V5 if they dont seem to be.

Back