DVLA - Changing V5 to increase number of seats

Hello, I have a 5 seat T6 showing as 3 seats on the V5. Are there any advantages to correcting this with the DVLA?
My insurance company stipulated before I had the rear bed/seat work done that the number of seats on the V5 would need to be be updated for me to be insured to carry passengers beyond the 3 up front.

I bought my van new November 21 from Salop Vans and it had 6 seats with windows, the V5 said van with 3 seats, I filled the V5 in and sent it off to DVLA, weeks later I had a letter from them wanting proof of the 6 seats and side windows and if they didn’t receive qualifying information they would leave it as a 3 seater van.
Anyway I had all the info from Salop vans stating all genuine VW seating and safety certificates, I also took pictures of the inside and out side and exactly 11 weeks from my initial contact with the DVLA I received a new V5 stating van with 6 seats and side windows.

John.

I bought my van new November 21 from Salop Vans and it had 6 seats with windows, the V5 said van with 3 seats, I filled the V5 in and sent it off to DVLA, weeks later I had a letter from them wanting proof of the 6 seats and side windows and if they didn’t receive qualifying information they would leave it as a 3 seater van.
Anyway I had all the info from Salop vans stating all genuine VW seating and safety certificates, I also took pictures of the inside and out side and exactly 11 weeks from my initial contact with the DVLA I received a new V5 stating van with 6 seats and side windows.

John.
Strange the discrepancies with the DVLA. Ours was 3 from factory, simply filled out the V5 and sent it stating 6 seats. Came back within a few weeks, no questions asked?

Strange the discrepancies with the DVLA. Ours was 3 from factory, simply filled out the V5 and sent it stating 6 seats. Came back within a few weeks, no questions asked?
Likewise, our 2 seater PV was converted to a 5 seat camper, sent off the V5 with the additional seats, no supporting paperwork, came back within a couple of weeks as a 5 seater.

Good evening to all the members of the best forum on the internet.

I have had a seat fitted in the rear that takes my number of passengers from 3 (panel van) to 5 (camper conversion, Cascade Solace seat). I’ve got the test paperwork and need to notify DVLA, then my insurance company. The DVLA website just says ‘send documents’ with no specifics. Has anyone been through this process, and what did DVLA need? If I was to guess, I’d say a photo, a receipt and a copy of the test certificate.

Any advice gratefully received.

Chris
I have a camper conversion done by summer campers and I only just noticed my v5 only has 3 seats on it although in all the time I have had van I assumed the rear seat belted seats could be used. I informed dvla and they have answered refusing to alter number of seats stating that ONLY THE MANUFACTURER can do this so it is pretty pointless having the seatbelts in the first place.

I have a camper conversion done by summer campers and I only just noticed my v5 only has 3 seats on it although in all the time I have had van I assumed the rear seat belted seats could be used. I informed dvla and they have answered refusing to alter number of seats stating that ONLY THE MANUFACTURER can do this so it is pretty pointless having the seatbelts in the first place.
They have changed ours in the TGE from two (van supplied with single front seats) to four within the past two weeks. I did send pictures of the interior when I asked for the changes.
The new rear seats are a professionally fitted VW/MAN front double seat with the extra seat belt fitted.

Reactions: CAB
Looking at our V5 it shows 3 seats yet we have 5 belted seats in total and the insurance was quoted on the basis of a camper conversion with 5 belted seats. We bought the van already converted and I have habitation certificates, instruction manuals etc but cannot find a crash test certificate for the seat.
Just pondering whether to fill in the V5 and send it off with no paperwork or leave as is in case they come back and say they need a certificate? Seems hit and miss reading the posts above although more common just for it to sail through?

we had v5-3 seats panel van.

had the front bench swapped to a captain,
added OEM kombi 3 rear seats,
added rear side windows,

all done by previous owner.

sent off pics and garage receipts for the kombi seat fitting work.

v5 come back as 5 seats van with side windows (done in 2023)

Strange why they won’t entertain my van. Poss because yours was done by VW.
Ours (kombi seat s) was done by a coach works company.

Windows and captain was self fitted by previous owner.

Vw didn't have any involvement

The V5 on my panel van stated 3 seats from new, even though there was only 2.
After a 2-seat bench was fitted in the back, I sent off the V5 requesting a change of details to 4 seats and my V5 was updated accordingly.
I can’t remember sending any supporting documentation with it either.
But it would be your insurance company that would be most interested in crash test paperwork - and then probably only if you tried to claim.

More likely youve found an idiot at the DVLA who doesn't know what they are talking about.

Try the simple approach, send the V5 back with no other info with the number changed and see what comes back.
this what i did the first time. My garage has also confirmed that this is the correct info .. who knows but i will try making a phone call to dvla

Reactions: CAB
Sounds like you got a moron at the desk but I wouldn't t rule out DVLA moving the goalposts again as they have got form. Like others, my van was originally 3 seats on the V5 but I had it amended to say 5 after the conversion to a camper with bed and two extra belted seats. That was however some time ago (I think 2019 but certainly after they changed the rules on 'Motor Caravan / Van Side Windows' which has been done to death elsewhere on T6F!).

As other have said, something’s not right here. If you’ve got the test certificate, photos etc it should be straightforward. Mine was back in about a week or so with a new V5 showing 5 seats. Think I included the invoice for the work too. The converter should help you with this.

Reading this with interest.
I sent mine in last Thursday all I done was say that I now have 6 seats and windows. no certs or photos sent in so probably be asked for more info. Shall let u know how I get on.

Reading this with interest.
I sent mine in last Thursday all I done was say that I now have 6 seats and windows. no certs or photos sent in so probably be asked for more info. Shall let u know how I get on.
At the risk of forming a mob and harassing the DVLA I might pull my finger out and send mine off too - what’s the worst that can happen?

Change vehicle details on a V5C registration certificate (log book)​

Changes you need to update​

You must update your V5C if you change any of the following:

• colour
  • engine
  • cylinder capacity (cc)
  • fuel type
  • chassis or bodyshell (replaced or modified) - adding side windows
  • seating capacity
  • weight of a large vehicle, for example goods vehicle or campervan

on v5 sections.

D5 - Van/Side Windows.

S1 m- seats including driver 5

++++++++++++++++

just to clarify . . .

i sent in the V5 with a covering letter asking the DVLA to change the seats from 3 to 5 and to add the rear side windows ( as the windows are needed to make the belted seats official apparently) - with pics of the van,seats,windows. plus invoice copy from the garage that done the rear seat fittings.

the V5 come back within a week or so.
1709278192055.png

the windows are needed to make the belted seats official apparently
Interesting.
I have not got side windows in my van and I had the V5 changed from 3 seats (incorrect as it only had 2) to 4 seats and, as I said, I don’t remember sending any paperwork in with mine either (it was probably 2019). However, I’ve just checked, and my V5 always stated Van/Side Windows (its a panel van with a glazed tailgate) so maybe that is why it wasn’t questioned?

Back