Dsg oil and filter change

While I appreciate that not everyone has the time or inclination to do it themselves, I’m sorry, but I can’t believe that anyone is paying £140 to change the oil on one of these vehicles.
Today I bought 21 litres of Shell Helix Ultra Professional AV-L 0W-30 and 3 filters for less than that, that'll do 3 oil changes with the best oil I could find for the VW diesel motor.
I could have gone even cheaper with the oil suppliers own brand equivalent (Smith & Allan Unelite VX 5W-30) for less than half the price of the Shell stuff but as it’s a newish car and I’d like to keep it in the best shape I can I went with the more expensive stuff @ £45 per oil and filter change.
I’m sure I wouldn’t charge anyone £100 to do the work. I’d be embarrased to present them with a bill like that.

While I appreciate that not everyone has the time or inclination to do it themselves, I’m sorry, but I can’t believe that anyone is paying £140 to change the oil on one of these vehicles.
Today I bought 21 litres of Shell Helix Ultra Professional AV-L 0W-30 and 3 filters for less than that, that'll do 3 oil changes with the best oil I could find for the VW diesel motor.
I could have gone even cheaper with the oil suppliers own brand equivalent (Smith & Allan Unelite VX 5W-30) for less than half the price of the Shell stuff but as it’s a newish car and I’d like to keep it in the best shape I can I went with the more expensive stuff @ £45 per oil and filter change.
I’m sure I wouldn’t charge anyone £100 to do the work. I’d be embarrased to present them with a bill like that.

I've always maintained all my previous vehicles, from all my BMW's, previous vans, and my own MH. I did this simply because i'm old school. and don't like the new service schedules, long life filters, long life oil etc. I prefer to change parts when I think they need changing, not when the service schedule tells me. This might be over-servicing an engine, but i've yet to own a vehicle that's given me any major trouble.

However, as I recently found out when I sold a much newer vehicle, my approach has an adverse effect on the residual value. It makes no difference if you know what you're doing, and makes no odds if you have invoices for all the best parts and oils, pictures of your dash with the dates and miles etc. That dealership stamp, or any official stamp in general is all the next owner is interested in. No stamps, means a very hard sale, or a big reduction in value.

So, although I might agree with some of what you've said, I cannot be bothered with the hassle at the end of my T6 ownership, so mine goes into VW for all it's servicing, albeit reluctantly.

How much oil is required to refill DSG during its oil change?
I know there is a dynamic oil level verification procedure, but approximately how many liters?

Reactions: mmi
I bought 6 liters, but I am wondering how much should come out after completing dynamic oil level verification procedure.
And effectively how much should have stayed inside of DSG unit?

6ltrs volume Dsg oil and filter - 40k 3yrs (6ltrs)

Engine is off. Do not start engine!
Unscrew oil drain plug -3-.
Unscrew oil level pipe -1- and allow oil to run out
Renew oil seal -2-.
Screw in oil level pipe -1- hand-tight

Observe screw-in depth
Unscrew oil drain plug -arrow- of mechatronic unit.
A further approx. 1.2 litres of oil will run out
Renew oil seal -arrow- of bolt.
– Fit new seal onto oil drain plug -arrow- of mechatronic unit,
and screw in oil drain plug to specified torque

Before opening, shake bottles containing dual clutch gearbox oil
Screw adapter -A- from adapter for oil filling - VAS 6262 Ahand-tight into inspection hole.
– Fill 6.0 litres of oil.

Hold the bottle upside down higher than the gearbox, with hose
connected and tap open, to allow the oil to run out of the bottle
and into the gearbox.

48.JPG

T6 Service Intervals & Inspection, Flexible & Longlife

Thanks mate but it still doesn't say how much of this 6 liters is going to come out during dynamic oil level verification procedure.
I do understand the principle of this process but I would like to know how much oil should come out (approximately).

Reactions: mmi
Don't know what the vw system does, a mate looked it up on his autodata software which gives him service instructions on pretty much all cars, briefly talked me through it, so from memory... Drain, then fill until is running back out (i.e. Level with the tip of part 1 in the description above) then start engine and run through the gears, P, N, D, S. Pausing a second on each one (not actually moving but moves the fluid through the different areas of the gearbox) then recheck the level, top top until running back out (can't 100% remember if this last part was while running but don't think so)

Will see if I can get him to print his info as could be useful for those without the vw software

which system/s are you using to do the : dynamic oil level verification procedure ?

the OEM description above just says drain from items 1,2,3 and then remove Mechatronic drain plug . . . . which will drain out an additional 1.2ltrs.

so im assuming most of the 6ltrs will drain out before refilling.

it then goes on to say: (Pages 137-141)

49.JPG 50.JPG 51.JPG 52.JPG 53.JPG

Okay, done ;).
Approximately 4.5 litres comes out of the DSG sump plus 1.2 litres out of mechatronics.
Then 6 litres go in of which approximately 0.3 litre comes out during dynamic oil level verification procedure.
So the answer is, DSG unit holds approximately 5.7 litres!
Big thanks to @Dellmassive & @buchanan84 :thumbsup:

Hi @Dellmassive . I see the procedures above do not make any reference to replacing the DSG oil filter. Does the T6 7 speed DSG box have a filter? If so, is there a replacement procedure and is a VW part number quoted?

Thanks!

D.

Back