Dsg oil and filter change

I've just done mine today, I'm off on a big trip on Saturday (Northumberland 250) and wasn't sure when the previous owner last did it. I have a couple of queries...

Draining all went well, swapped the filter no bother, other than I've lost a 24mm socket somewhere and it's wedged, can't find it but I can hear it rattling!

Filling seemed to go ok, I got the van as level as I could (stuck a spirit level on the roof and seemed to be in order) and followed the procedure, ran it up, went in each position for 3 seconds, and waited for the temp to get up to 40 degrees as reported by VCDS.

I was expecting to find something like an adaptation in VCDS for dynamic level checking but couldn't find it - is there a procedure the box goes through or is it just a case of getting it up to temperature? I checked that with the measuring values.

In any case, once up to temperature, no excess came out, just an occasional drip. This was with the engine still running. It got 6 litres in it, with just a bit left in the filling pipe but not 300ml.

I took it for a spin to the shop (about a mile) and took it steady just in case. Possibly a touch jerky at first (or my paranoia) but it seemed a lot smoother on the way back. There feels like a bit of a jerk between 1st and 2nd, but it seems to mostly miss 2nd and go straight to 3rd anyway, it's only at low speed it ever seems to go 1st to 2nd. It may well have always done that, I'm not sure.

I need to get the 24mm socket out tomorrow and put the undertray back on so was planning on re-checking the level anyway - have I missed something, is it going to blow up on my way to Northumberland on Saturday, can anyone put my mind at rest please?!

Ok, so just to clear up my previous post above...

I ordered another bottle of transmission oil and, using the special tool and vehicle jacked up level, inserted it into the gearbox. Went through the procedure again, and it emptied out approx 0.7 litres. So, mine required 6.3 litres to fill it. It may be due to mine being a T5.1 and having a different capacity, but the kit I bought (filter, 6L of oil, sump plug etc) stated it was compatible with my vehicle. Some others supply 7 litres though. Who knows!

I'm probably 500+ miles into it now and all is going well. I've also done the resetting of parameters for the box, and shifting seems to have now improved.

The procedure for resetting was found on another forum, but for anyone interested, this is what I did. The box makes some 'interesting' noises, and once the procedure is complete, upon selecting 'D' nothing happens, but don't panic, cycle ignition and all is good.

Procedure:
Engine at idle
Transmission P
Park brake active
Car level horizontal
Transmission oil 65°C

Choose "Basic setting of transmission" > [Go!]
Wait for "Finished correctly"

I realise that this is not the crafter section. However, I am considering buy a higher mileage auto/dsg crafter. It does not seem to have had any gearbox services. Are the intervals the same for the crafter gearbox please?

I realise that this is not the crafter section. However, I am considering buy a higher mileage auto/dsg crafter. It does not seem to have had any gearbox services. Are the intervals the same for the crafter gearbox please?
Not the same as for Transporter.
Oil change every 200.000 km for automatic gearboxes AL550, AQ450 - installed MY17 onwards.

Just wanted to say that I've just serviced my 7 speed DSG and 5.75ltrs came out and it required 6.25ltrs to go back in.

I put 6 litres in and nothing came out so put another litre in and measured what came back out. What I suprised me was the flow out the drain was constant and then nothing, whereas on my Skoda Superb there is a lot of sputtering after full flow (not just the pulses of the pump), and it is when the sputtering starts that is when you cap it off. With the T6 I just capped it off after full flow. Van was level BTW.

The only other thing to note is that on my 204 with Webasto heater, there is not enough room to get the filter cover out, either from the top or bottom and so I had to change the seal on it near to where it lived. I recommend you have a pick to hand if you have the same

Back