DPF Regen Frequency / Issues / Force discussion.

Crappy throttle response from retarded timing, louder fuel rail sound, stop start disabled, 1k rpm idle, hot exhaust pipes, fans on after engine switched off.
My twin stainless steel exhaust pipes actually expand 2cm out of the bumper during Regen as it gets hot.
It's duration can last up to 1hr depending on the roads/traffic/rpm etc.

... you notice when driving when you hear a different response to the accelerator ... when you stop the minimum remains on 1000 rpm, and the fans are on .... also hear a smell from the exhaust ... lasts about 7- 10 minutes then the minimum passes and returns normal .....
Mine must be broken!!!! It never does any of the above other than the stop start is sometimes disabled but I put that down to a low state of battery charge as it only disabled the stop start for the first couple of minutes of each journey . Never heard as fan at all! And never seen my rpm go upto 1000 at tick-over. I have VCDS so will look to se if it records last Regen info. Cheers

I have VCDS so will look to se if it records last Regen info. Cheers
Interested.

Could you please post the following measurement values (address 01 - Engine)
IDE00432 Particle filter: time since last regeneration
IDE00434 Particle filter: soot mass calculated
IDE00435 Particle filter: soot mass measured
IDE00436 Particle filter: kilometers since last regeneration
IDE01407 Particle filter: fuel consumption since last regeneration
IDE01922 Vehicle distance driven
IDE05493 Air cleaner degree of soiling
IDE06059 Particle filter: oil ash volume​

Also interesting would be the first few lines for ECU from VCDS Auto Scan - similar to following:
Address 01: Engine (J623-CAAC)
Part No SW: 03L 906 019 GQ HW: 03L 907 309 L
Component: R4 2,0L EDC H38 5579
Revision: 22H38--- Serial number: 00000000000000
Coding: 0119401A232401080000​

Mine must be broken!!!! It never does any of the above other than the stop start is sometimes disabled but I put that down to a low state of battery charge as it only disabled the stop start for the first couple of minutes of each journey . Never heard as fan at all! And never seen my rpm go upto 1000 at tick-over. I have VCDS so will look to se if it records last Regen info. Cheers

What year is your van it might have a euro 5 engine in

I'm in the same boat as the others as mentioned, regens constantly, I have a euro 6 transit and that seems to be streets ahead in the regen department, no smell, quiet overrun and the adblue lasts longer!

I have the euro 5 and it normally regent once a tank full about 650 miles . I use miller fuel additive that helps keep them lower as the engine makes less soot. I see vw and bmw are fitting them to petrol engines now but they should self clean better it’s just all the controls for them that could start playing up.
My old Vauxhall Antara 2.2 would take up to 20 miles and burn a gallon of fuel in that time to regen that’s double the amount it would normally use .

The engine will not do a regen if the fuel level is below a certain limit (think it’s quarter of a tank). A number of members have found that their DPF light was coming on and the cause in some cases turned out to be them always running with a low fuel level.
I have to admit that I was skeptical about the low fuel inhibiting regens. Took a while to align regen due when fuel was low and really to “see” it not to happen. But finally managed to confirm this. Anyways I didn’t have the courage/fuel to run till DPF-light. There is some “reserve” in fuel low (light on) before accumulated soot level reaches the warning limit. But definitely can't stay permanently low in fuel. Also the local VW garage confirmed that the regen is inhibited when fuel low light is on.

Some VW documentation about DPF regeneration in thread Multiple Engine Management Faults

Last edited:
Thanks very much for that mmi, I'll make enquiry's about the recall.
Has anyone dealt with Edinburgh Van Centre? Previous van went to Carlisle van centre a few time's but like Buster everything I queried on that van was swiftly brushed aside with the 'they all do that, it's normal' line.
I have had the van at Edinburgh Van Centre a few times for recalls, warranty work and a service and they have been brilliant, Absolutely no probs with them from my point of view.

I am baffled also. With technology the way it is why can there not be a light to come on the dash to say Regen is in process?
Only for the simple reason i have been told it is not good to turn engine off whilst Regen is in process?
Also could someone tell me if Regen is in process how long to finish if driving on clear roads please
Many Thanks

I am baffled also. With technology the way it is why can there not be a light to come on the dash to say Regen is in process?
Only for the simple reason i have been told it is not good to turn engine off whilst Regen is in process?
Also could someone tell me if Regen is in process how long to finish if driving on clear roads please
Many Thanks
If they put a light on every time it was doing a regen, it would just have people panicking unnecessarily! It's only when the restriction in the DPF gets to a certain limit that the light comes on and then you can do something about it by increasing your revs and giving it a longer run.
Regens are normal so if you're not getting the warning light on, just continue doing what you normally do.

My first tankfull in our 2016 204 manual, the van ran like a dream and did around 40mpg, at 70mph cruising over 500 miles - I was delighted!
Since then, it has never done better than 32mpg, and I am wondering if this is down to over-enthusiastic regen? I have only noticed it once, but hadn't been watching for it.
When the van was in at Lookers, Carlisle, they checked the egr was working properly, and said it was, but I wonder...

I was looking at another thread which suggested using Archoil A R6400 D, added to the fuel, to clean the engine and dpf etc.
Might this be worthwhile? If the engine is at all clogged, might the regen be a way of the engine 'clearing its throat'?
And is this regen the reason why T6 fuel consumption varies so wildly from one van to another?
Could the regen system be modified or even disconnected?

Don’t forget that DPF regeneration is normal and essential behaviour. What isn’t normal is the frequency with which regens seem to happen on some T6 engines. My 102bhp model regens are completely invisible to me, but we do tend to do longer journeys.

Pete

happy New Year to everyone!!
.... returning to the discussion, my California 150hp .. regenerates often, I never wanted to make updates of any kind (with another VW vehicle I had problems after update engine control unit ..), a mechanic of the VW, a friend .., he advised me to leave everything so ', he said that if the engine regenerates more frequently' better and '..... in fact controlling the clogging of the dfp, after 23000km and' only 10x100 ....

Hi all, first post from me and I am sure this issue has been discussed but I would like some neutral confirmation of what my local dealer told me yesterday.

Monday of this week my emission control lamp came on, it went to my dealer yesterday to be checked out.
The fault related to the DPF and basically I've been told to drive the vehicle more? I have an 18 plate 102 T6 which we have owned since mid Oct 18 bought it with 100 miles on the clock now has 2000.

So I have been advised I need to do more miles for the vehicle to do its Regen thing so the DPF will be looked after, also told that if the same fault occurs its not covered by warranty neither are DPF filters if they fail??

Left the dealers feeling slightly alarmed, at no point during the buying process was I told anything about this and thought I was buying a vehicle to slowly convert it and do as few or many miles as I liked?

Your thoughts would be most welcome, is it true or am I being spun one??

Many thanks

How many long trips do you do ? By long I mean more than 50 miles at a decent speed.

What the dealer has described is common to pretty much all diesels with a DPF - lots of short journeys clog the DPF and don’t give it a chance to clean itself with a regen.

Have you owned a diesel before ?

Pete

I'm no expert on here as I've only had my van a few weeks but I wouldn't necessarily say it's how many miles you do, it's more about how many miles you do per journey.

Doing a few miles a day as an example is no good for any engine especially modern diesels as its just not getting hot enough.

I think what your dealer is saying is go for a longer drive every now and then to get it up to temp and enable the dpf to clean itself out?

Thanks @Pete C , @RedUn, you are both right most journeys at the moment are short I think that will change when its fully converted.

We had a diesel Skoda before the van and the light came on a couple of times so I took it on an A road left it in a certain gear and got the revs up which clears the filter and the light so why on the van doesn't the same thing happen so I could do the same routine? Instead its the engine emission light that comes on and it needs to go to the dealer and I've been told I will be charged next time?

Also I don't want to drive for the sake of it I'm no eco warrior but what with the fuel consumption the way it is???? You know where I'm coming from...……;)

The fuel consumption is poor because you are doing so many short journeys. We can get 40 mpg in our 102 if we keep the speed down on longer journeys.

Pete

Back