DPF light on and start up smoke - should I buy?

peteaufc

VIP Member
Hi all, new to the forum (introduced myself over on the new members bit) and looking at purchasing my first Transporter for a camper conversion.

I'm looking at a 2.0L TDI (180bhp) with highline spec / 2015 (15 plate). It's on sale in a dealership, but is being advertised "as seen" as they have taken it as part exchange.

I can see it hasn't been taxed since Nov 2022, and listing says that a DPF light comes on and that there is smoke on ignition. However, I can also see that it just passed it's MOT with no advisories last week (initially failed on a headlight issue, but nothing else mentioned). It also only seems to have done about 3k miles since the previous MOT so has probably been left unused since they got it.

I'm wondering how it could have passed the MOT if the DPF light was coming on and it was producing smoke?

I'm not from a car/van background so have limited knowledge, but I am wondering if the DPF/smoking is a known/serious issue with these vans/engines, or whether it is simply that the van is just needing a good run and getting back into regular use?

Any advice/info/experience that anyone can share would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Pete

and listing says that a DPF light comes on and that there is smoke on ignition.
Welcome.
I think that the trader is being very fair in giving prior warning of these issues but you'd be buying a van with problems and you'd be unable to go back to the trader as they've sold it declaring the existing problems. You've told us you aren't good with the spanners so you'd be reliant on others to diagnose and resolve any issues.
If you're able to get it very cheap and allocate funds to deal with the issue then it might still stack up, but there can be various causes of smoke on first start up.
The 180 variant is known for serious bore scoring / wear which in some cases can only be dealt with by replacing the engine, a £10K job.
Personally I'd walk away from it, a better proposition will come along.

There are too many variables to give you a concrete answer - it could be fine or you could get a bill for thousands.

How many miles has it done, and does the price reflect the “as seen” description.

I would ask the dealer how it got a new MOT with the listed issues.

Pete

Thanks to both of you - I really do appreciate it.

It is listed at £21500 Inc VAT. It has done 78,500 miles. It's highline/sportsline spec. Would that price reflect the issues highlighted?

I plan to discuss further with the dealership today if possible - definitely going to ask how it got it's MOT. It seems a reputable company with v.good reviews (4.9/5 from over 500 reviews) on autotrader (?) and also an AA approved dealership.

It has all of the features/spec on our list - which increases the attraction, but obviously the smoke/DPF light is a concern.

I would definitely plan to get an AA pre-purchase inspection before buying - would that indicate if the bore-scoring/wear issue before I bought, or would that need to get much further in to inspect?

Tricky one.

The dpf light on will normally mean spending money. Either on EGR cooler or a replacement dpf.

It's it a pre adblue version eu5? If so no adblue.

What's the mileage?

FYI the dpf light could have been cleared just prior to the mot ...

But would have come back within a few drive cycles.

Walk away. I’d say that was expensive if it was a perfect example.
I’m pretty sure a trader can’t sell without warranty unless it’s a trade sale. It’s their way of getting rid of something they know will come bouncing back because it’s a demic. No warranty because it’s a part ex is just smoke and mirrors. Where do they think most second hand forecourt stock comes from?

My 2p is it is way to much risk in my opinion.
I would only consider it if I was handy enough on the tools to consider a potential engine (and potentially more) swap. Even then It would need to be cheap enough to make it worth the hassle, 21K or an 8 year old van which will need work doesn't stack up in my opinion. I would want it for more like 10K plus then allow 10K for the work and then you have to ask yourself why not just buy one that doesnt need the work?

I suspect the trader knows the engine is shot, and will cost a fortune to repair. They are hoping someone that doesn't know about the CFCA engine fiasco will take a punt on it.

As it sits now it is a bottomless money pit, which is why the dealer isn’t taking it on. I wouldn’t touch it.

Walk away. I’d say that was expensive if it was a perfect example.
I’m pretty sure a trader can’t sell without warranty unless it’s a trade sale. It’s their way of getting rid of something they know will come bouncing back because it’s a demic. No warranty because it’s a part ex is just smoke and mirrors. Where do they think most second hand forecourt stock comes from?
AIUI, dealers are perfectly entitled to sell without warranty, but consumer law provides some protection (in the first 6 months under) regardless . Having said that, consumer law doesn't cover faults declared at the point of sale, so would be of bugger-all use to the OP.

If it was £10k then yes, £20k dream on. It will be £5k for the DPF and EGR work alone, let alone if the engine is dead/on its way out. £10k for a fully fitted VW crate engine inc turbo, injectors and egr. I paid £16 for a 2014 4motion, dsg BiTDI and think it was £5k overpriced. You did the right thing coming here. For £20k there must be better out there

Back