The old EGR and DPF chestnut

KiwiT6CFCA

Hi there fellow T6 owners,

So I have a question that I'd really appreciate your feedback on.

I have a 2015 CFCA T6 Multivan.
I've now reconditioned the engine and had a new turbo fitted, thanks to the corroded EGR cooler that we all know about.

My mechanic blocked off and deleted out the EGR function.

I have the van back now and am driving it regularly.

I notice a lot of white smoke at times particularly while accelerating from a stop. It varies when this happens but it's not always. When I stop and park the van and hop out there is a real weird metallic dry burning smell.

Also as I travel across the country (New Zealand) and the DPF amber light usually comes on somewhere during a long drive. I usually shift the transmission to manual and drop down a gear while the DPF burn does its thing. No matter how long I drive for, (hours even) the fault light doesn't go out. When I stop and turn off the van it's always gone though.

So I'm thinking that all of this is likely to be a blocked DPF. I'm keen to remove this myself and have it cleaned.
I have seen some very good DIY cleans online and with the amount already spent on my van, I'll give this s go myself. I'm a Maintenance Fitter. Not a mechanic though.

Do you think I'm on the right track?
Hasa any of you had similar problems?
What was the fix?

Thank you for reading this far, I appreciate any advise.

Cheers!

Hi there fellow T6 owners,

So I have a question that I'd really appreciate your feedback on.

I have a 2015 CFCA T6 Multivan.
I've now reconditioned the engine and had a new turbo fitted, thanks to the corroded EGR cooler that we all know about.

My mechanic blocked off and deleted out the EGR function.

I have the van back now and am driving it regularly.

I notice a lot of white smoke at times particularly while accelerating from a stop. It varies when this happens but it's not always. When I stop and park the van and hop out there is a real weird metallic dry burning smell.

Also as I travel across the country (New Zealand) and the DPF amber light usually comes on somewhere during a long drive. I usually shift the transmission to manual and drop down a gear while the DPF burn does its thing. No matter how long I drive for, (hours even) the fault light doesn't go out. When I stop and turn off the van it's always gone though.

So I'm thinking that all of this is likely to be a blocked DPF. I'm keen to remove this myself and have it cleaned.
I have seen some very good DIY cleans online and with the amount already spent on my van, I'll give this s go myself. I'm a Maintenance Fitter. Not a mechanic though.

Do you think I'm on the right track?
Hasa any of you had similar problems?
What was the fix?

Thank you for reading this far, I appreciate any advise.

Cheers!
I have looked into having my EGR deleted/blanked when my All In extended warranty expires. I have a trusted independent garage staffed by ex VW techs lined up to do the job. They won't simply delete the EGR, they insist that the DPF/AdBlue system must also be deleted at the same time, otherwise problems occur down the line. Which would seem to be the case in point.

In the case of the CFCA (180ps) the Tafmet EGR delete solution is well proven, there’s plenty of info on the Forum and the equipment has been installed for years in some cases without any issues.

I have looked into having my EGR deleted/blanked when my All In extended warranty expires. I have a trusted independent garage staffed by ex VW techs lined up to do the job. They won't simply delete the EGR, they insist that the DPF/AdBlue system must also be deleted at the same time, otherwise problems occur down the line. Which would seem to be the case in point.
Hmmm. I actually thought about removing it altogether as that's not illegal here.

In the case of the CFCA (180ps) the Tafmet EGR delete solution is well proven, there’s plenty of info on the Forum and the equipment has been installed for years in some cases without any issues.
OK thank you, I'll search for those and read up!

Can you get a Carista OBD port diagnostic? In the UK available through Amazon. This will show the state of the DPF.
I don't have one of these but I see there are some for sale in overseas online market places. Do you know an affordable one that will do this job?

Def a DPF issue I had the same on my old 5.1 Sportline until I blocked and deleted EGR, removed DPF and fitted Milltek exhaust. The van then ran smoke free but still drank oil

CFCA + DPF + EGR = White smoke + Drinking oil . Thanks VW for such a crap engine!

IMG_8140.jpeg

Def a DPF issue I had the same on my old 5.1 Sportline until I blocked and deleted EGR, removed DPF and fitted Milltek exhaust. The van then ran smoke free but still drank oil

CFCA + DPF + EGR = White smoke + Drinking oil . Thanks VW for such a crap engine!

View attachment 220488
Thanks for that! I'm hoping I won't get the smoking after either cleaning or deleting my DPF due to the engine recondition. It's not losing any oil currently.

View attachment 220488
You van looks great by the way! That is the curse of these vans, they just look better than every other van out there. I like the blacked out wheel look. I might do that in the future.

You van looks great by the way! That is the curse of these vans, they just look better than every other van out there. I like the blacked out wheel look. I might do that in the future.
Show us your breakdown and tow truck photo.......I'm sure many of us have one of these. We were fully loaded, Mum Dad and 5 kids off on holiday..

20230103_182735.jpg

Hmmm. I actually thought about removing it altogether as that's not illegal here.
Then you’ll need to find another oil cooler / oil filter solution it’s combined with the EGR. I believe it is possible to fit the oil cooler/filter from another model engine.

Recovered for drive shaft failure resulting in new dsg box - warranty expired! Also recovered twice for EGR issues! Still love these vans

IMG_6885.jpeg

Back