Engine Managment light - DPF

mumx1234

Looking for some advice. We have a 2014 T5.1 converted transporter

Our engine Managment light is on , we were told by the garage that it will need a new DPF, but I am not convinced that it does.

The van has no loss in performance , is good on fuel and has never been smoky in the last 3 yrs we have owned it. We carried out a re-gen and within 60 miles the engine Managment light came back on. Soot reading is very low.

Conducted a smoke test from the rear of the exhaust and get smoke on the up stream and down stream sensor hoses.

Surely if the DPF is blocked you would not receive smoke on the upstream of the DPF?

We have had a new downstream hose fitted , pressure differential sensor & glow plugs have also been changed.

The only the thing we have noticed that it takes a long time to warm up , but is always has been like this since we owned it.

When on the OBD 2 code reader it has the code : P200200 particulate trap bank 1 - efficiency below threshold .

Anybody have any ideas , as I don’t really fancy having the DPF changed out to find the engine Managment light still coming on.

Sound like we will have to have the DPF replaced
That's how it look - based on the sooty tailpipe.

Thanks , is it best to get a genuine one or an after mart one ?
Can't help with genuine or aftermarket question - of course a genuine one is a safe choice.
Meanwhile, what's the mileage of the van (the DPF)?

The only the thing we have noticed that it takes a long time to warm up , but is always has been like this since we owned it.
Coolant or cabin? You mean something like 10 minutes, or more? Does the van have auxiliary heater - is there a Webasto sticker on driver's door?

That's how it look - based on the sooty tailpipe.

Can't help with genuine or aftermarket question - of course a genuine one is a safe choice.
Meanwhile, what's the mileage of the van (the DPF)?

Coolant or cabin? You mean something like 10 minutes, or more? Does the van have auxiliary heater - is there a Webasto sticker on driver's door?
The van has done 47,000 miles owned it since it was 39,000. The coolant , 7-8 miles before it warms up . No auxiliary heater.

Reactions: mmi
Ok, so not yet even close to DPF's normal lifespan re ash accumulation (150.000+ miles)

To me sounds normal.
Thanks , we thought it was strange being low miles, going to take it off and have a look inside , like I said in My original post , it does not smoke, has no loss in performance & is good on fuel , that’s what made us think it was not the DPF.

Reactions: mmi
it does not smoke, has no loss in performance & is good on fuel , that’s what made us think it was not the DPF.
I would guess the DPF still captures most of the soot - there is possibly just a crack which partially lets exhaust gases bypasses the filter. And that small amount of soot in the exhaust is detected by soot sensor. Similar case on a T6 engine was actually measured here:

Back