DIY table in sliding door

Adrian Lenard

My T6 has a table that has one folding leg and clips to attach it to a rail along the front of the cabinets. It’s a bit of a pain to store when not in use, and I’d like to mount it in the sliding door - a bit like the Loc8 table. I don’t reckon it’s beyond my skills - but has anyone done this already that I can learn from? And does anyone have the definitive measurement of the depth I’ve got to play with in the door cavity? I’d really appreciate any advice! Thanks.

Worth reading this thread. I made my own solution, which has since been upgraded to my own version of the Loc8 idea. Cost me sub £100

Worth reading this thread. I made my own solution, which has since been upgraded to my own version of the Loc8 idea. Cost me sub £100
That’s just brilliant. My table has a T-bar at the bottom (like an ironing board) so getting it to clear the door bar is going to take some thinking through. I may need a custom table making up. As an aside, do you have any problems with the increased weight pulling the locating plugs out of the door trim when you slam the door shut?

Where do you store it now? Have you got barn doors or tailgate as that’s somewhere else to put it
It goes behind the drivers seat, which is okay but I like the idea of using this wasted space. I thought about using the tailgate but a) there’s a pull-strap right in the way and b) the tailgates a bit high (I’m not the tallest chap in the campsite) and fiddling with catches at full arm’s stretch while holding the weight of the table doesn’t sound cool to me…

That’s just brilliant. My table has a T-bar at the bottom (like an ironing board) so getting it to clear the door bar is going to take some thinking through. I may need a custom table making up. As an aside, do you have any problems with the increased weight pulling the locating plugs out of the door trim when you slam the door shut?
I refitted the leg slightly off centre to ensure it cleared the door bar.
Assuming locating plugs = hidden clips? The card maybe suseptable depending on the strength of the hidden clips. If you do suffer any issues the add a few tidy self tappers.

See pics of the table and card. Both are now redundant and living in the garage!

3F4B5F74-77D7-4CE3-9568-20EE06DD185B.jpeg

1FD1F75A-42A3-4117-8B81-C0247D84CDA5.jpeg

As mentioned earlier, I made my own Loc8 solution. I now have a stand along table stored in the door.

I've done my own mod on the sliding door on four vans now. I fit the table for a Reimo table leg into a recess in the door card. The door structure has to be modified a bit to enable this space.

As mentioned earlier, I made my own Loc8 solution. I now have a stand along table stored in the door.
any pics @Wills ? i saw your 1st effort and im just seeing if i can get two table to do this for ours - one for the slide one for the other side.. the table i have found is slightly larger than the cali one though.. 90x60..
i cant get loc8 here in swiss, and these tables cost only 100chf each so if i can get it to work i will :)

The standard ‘fir tree’ clips on the door card are not enough to secure when the extra weight of a table is added. I suggest using HD Velcro strip to back up the clips.
Be careful that the door card / table do not contact the rear wheel arch when opening the sliding door.

The standard ‘fir tree’ clips on the door card are not enough to secure when the extra weight of a table is added. I suggest using HD Velcro strip to back up the clips.
Be careful that the door card / table do not contact the rear wheel arch when opening the sliding door.
I found tougher black plastic clips were man enough for the job.
any pics @Wills ? i saw your 1st effort and im just seeing if i can get two table to do this for ours - one for the slide one for the other side.. the table i have found is slightly larger than the cali one though.. 90x60..
i cant get loc8 here in swiss, and these tables cost only 100chf each so if i can get it to work i will :)
Pics below. I hope they help.

50C4237C-B046-4B5A-BCD4-FC352AE58A6D.jpeg

53428D34-9D9C-4346-9549-0A9E2619539A.jpeg

9077860A-064E-4F26-8217-2A9BB98947E8.jpeg

FCE2BA5D-C62C-4221-91C5-0F86B4F65201.jpeg

Ok that's great thanks @Wills. Can I pester you again - what are the dims of this table? It looks v like the one I can find locally.

I made the new door card using a similar approach to my earlier version. 3.6 ply, then building out the table surround area to suit. See links to original thread Table ideas
The dimensions are 860 x 500mm.
tip, if you want to edit your original post just hit the edit button and once happy, hit save.

FE0752AC-6A50-4294-968B-2B96550EAA54.jpeg

Back