DIY ambient lighting

I wired them in parallel and drilled the holes from the back :thumbsup:

Fitted my Ambient overhead light today. I'm not very good at dismantling my van but this was a very straight forward job and took 30 mins to do. Hardest part if fishing the wire through the dash to the light switch.

Thanks @saxoboy for the light, kit and instructions.:thumbsup:

£5 worth of parts for£35...thats a decent profit margin someone is making!

Was gonna say there same! I bought a bag of LEDs to do this for a couple of quid, with mounts. The time and cost is in making that wiring loom.
Presume then that's 2 LEDs for the footwell and one each for the door pockets?

Hi Guys.....these are the parts we all need.....I guess its just where you want to install them, that's the issue (how long do you need the wire tails??).....come on....someone must be able to create a kit for us....

5mm Pre-Wired 9v-12v Flat Top Wide Angle LEDs. | eBay
50Pcs 3mm 5mm 8mm 10mm Black Plastic LED Lamp Diode Holder Bulb Clip Bezel Mount | eBay
2.8mm Connector Plug Socket Set 2/3/4 Way Pin Male&Female W/Wire Motorcycle Car | eBay
2W Power Metal Film Resistor 1% Tolerance 1 Ohm - 1M Ohm | eBay

The resistors needed to dim the brightness down....even when installed into the ambient wiring these LEDs are bright ;)

I’m fighting this mod but fear I will succumb soon. Damn it I’m broke.

Hi Guys.....these are the parts we all need.....I guess its just where you want to install them, that's the issue (how long do you need the wire tails??).....come on....someone must be able to create a kit for us....

5mm Pre-Wired 9v-12v Flat Top Wide Angle LEDs. | eBay
50Pcs 3mm 5mm 8mm 10mm Black Plastic LED Lamp Diode Holder Bulb Clip Bezel Mount | eBay
2.8mm Connector Plug Socket Set 2/3/4 Way Pin Male&Female W/Wire Motorcycle Car | eBay
2W Power Metal Film Resistor 1% Tolerance 1 Ohm - 1M Ohm | eBay

The resistors needed to dim the brightness down....even when installed into the ambient wiring these LEDs are bright ;)

If someone is gonna knock up kits to sell they would be better off buying a load of LEDs (without the resistor inline), bezels and resistors required for the desired brightness...it will work out loads cheaper and probably look a little nicer as the wiring can be made to length etc as opposed to extending pre-wired jobs.

As an aside and probably not practical for multiples for production but a handy tip to prevent a focused beam is to ruff up LEDs with sandpaper as it helps defuse the light.

What size cabling you guys using to make up the loom?

Also how many leds are people using for the footwells?

Last edited:
Hi all

Love what’s been done on here. I’ve bought the kit you mentioned already @Gregga and plan to install it for the pocket LEDs. What’s the brightness like on those LEDs? Do they still need a resistor even though it’s a purpose built kit?

I’m also planned on fitting puddle lights to the wing mirrors on the courtesy lighting circuit and so thinking about connecting the white LED in the door lever from the courtesy circuit too. Would this work with the same components as mentioned for the ambient?

Finally has anyone got any photos of how and where they fitted the resistor?

Many thanks in advance!

Hi all

Love what’s been done on here. I’ve bought the kit you mentioned already @Gregga and plan to install it for the pocket LEDs. What’s the brightness like on those LEDs? Do they still need a resistor even though it’s a purpose built kit?

I’m also planned on fitting puddle lights to the wing mirrors on the courtesy lighting circuit and so thinking about connecting the white LED in the door lever from the courtesy circuit too. Would this work with the same components as mentioned for the ambient?

Finally has anyone got any photos of how and where they fitted the resistor?

Many thanks in advance!

Ambient brightness is perfect for driving at night - no glare or distraction with the Red kit I fitted. Not really visible at all in daylight but wasnt expecting to see it at day time.
The kit is fully dimmable via the rotary controller on the dash so can dim it down if needed anyway.

Back