DIY ambient lighting

Yes, if you connect the, to the blue/grey wire in the door cards they will dim with the dash lights.
Hi @Deaky
Just wondering about putting a variable resistor in? That way could manually adjust the lights to the brightness I like and just leave and leave the control inside the door card.
Something like this.
3590S Rotary Wirewound Precision Potentiometer Pot 10 Turn Variable Resistor 2W | eBay
Not sure hi technically minded you are? Hopefully someone could point me in the right direction!:thumbsup:

Love this historic data. Just ordered some of those LED's so I can have a go myself. Listen for the bang and look for a plume of smoke from the MK area!
Thanks @Deaky and the crew.

Got bored today so while I’m waiting for my genuine ‘velle doorcards I had a go myself. They look pretty good. They’ll be up for sale shortly :thumbsup:

View attachment 16548
Hello Deaky

Firstly, it seems so weird calling you Deaky, this has been the nickname of my eldest daughter since she a little un (she is almost 30 now).
Is Deaky anything to do with your surname?
Everyone calls me Deaks as my surname is Deaker.

Anyway, I have a question for you about the led placement.......

I can see you have put a white led in the door lever part (white), is it facing forward and behind the lever hinge point?
Did you but one in the top handle part or not?
The middle section, is that two LEDs?
How many are in the bottom section?

I was thinking of flush mounting the LED in a 5mm hole and held with a dab of hot glue from the back instead of using a bezel, but not sure.

Sorry for so many questions

TIA

Deaks :)

Hello Deaky

Firstly, it seems so weird calling you Deaky, this has been the nickname of my eldest daughter since she a little un (she is almost 30 now).

I can see you have put a white led in the door lever part (white), is it facing forward and behind the lever hinge point?

I was thinking of flush mounting the LED in a 5mm hole and held with a dab of hot glue from the back instead of using a bezel, but not sure.

TIA

@Deaky

Hello Deaky

TIA

Hi Mate

LOL I have to do a double take every time I see your name. My surname is Deakin so I'm known as Deak, Deaks or Deaky :laugh:

Middle and lower pockets have 2 led's in each. There is a single red in the top handle - If I was doing this again I wouldn't bother with this one. The passenger side will catch your eye when driving.
The white one in the lever is by the hinge pointing towards the front of the van.

Best thing to do is put a sticker where you want to place the lights then sit in the drivers seat an look if you can see any of them. If you can't - happy days. You'll probably want to put a resistor in series to dim them down a bit too :thumbsup:

Any way of ramping up/down the brightness of the courtesy light circuit a bit slower for a bit more of a premium feel?

Hi Mate

LOL I have to do a double take every time I see your name. My surname is Deakin so I'm known as Deak, Deaks or Deaky :laugh:

Middle and lower pockets have 2 led's in each. There is a single red in the top handle - If I was doing this again I wouldn't bother with this one. The passenger side will catch your eye when driving.
The white one in the lever is by the hinge pointing towards the front of the van.

Best thing to do is put a sticker where you want to place the lights then sit in the drivers seat an look if you can see any of them. If you can't - happy days. You'll probably want to put a resistor in series to dim them down a bit too :thumbsup:
Thanks for the info and tip on led placement. I remember having a 3rd party hands free thing in the car that almost burnt my retinas out every couple of seconds with worlds brightest blue led.

Wolfgang is away having the floor and windows this week, but I’ll have a bash at the leds in the doors when he’s back.

Hello.
Did you use a connector to connect the leds to the exciting wires, so that it can be unplugged if removing the door card?

(Exciting wires. Lol)

cheers for that. Also do you cut the existing wires and make a three way joint or remove sheath and wrap and solder?

3 way soldiered and heat shrink insulation

Thanks Deaky, I will order what links to the parts have been put in the thread. Thanks again.

Hi Mate

Hi Deaky

As the weather is so shite at the moment, I thought I might give the LED s in the door cards a go this weekend.
How did you drill the holes in the door cards for the LEDs, there is not much room to get even a small drill in there??
I have 5mm red LEDs for the pockets, and a 3mm white LED for the door/pull latch

I was thinking maybe this dremel right angle drill head would do it......

Did you wire yours in series or in parallel?
In a test mock up I had them wired in parallel, with a 1k resistor on the white led behind the door pull latch.

Thanks in advance

dremel.jpg

Back