DIY ambient lighting

Just a quick point here, you cannot connect an LED to 12v with no resistor connected it will blow immediately as the resistor is what limits the current that flows through it
If you are unsure and are buying LEDs online (eBay) always buy the ones that are prewired with the resistor already attached (normally hss a small bit of black sleeving in one leg coming out of the LED) these can be connected straight onto a power supply and as above if wanted an additional resistor can be added to dim them down

@mopardave they come on with the side lights. Yes, I added a white led to the door pull handle. The pic further up the thread was taken before I added the extra resistor to dim them down a little. I’ve since fitted caravelle door cards so the ones above will be for sale shortly. :unsure:
If I had my way......my interior (the van I mean) would be lit up like a tarts boudoir! :laugh:

If I had my way......my interior (the van I mean) would be lit up like a tarts boudoir! :laugh:
Mine is! 9 red led's and counting, though I didn't think to put 1 in the door handle part, so thats just been ordered and will be fitted next week!

Think I might put a cob led in the overhead usless bit to give some lighting up on the roof:thumbsup:

That’s it I’m seeing my therapist tomorrow. You lot should come with a health warning. Knowing my luck her couch will be fitted with led mood lighting :cry:

Wish I had the knowledge, would love some of these! Nice little touch

@mopardave they come on with the side lights. Yes, I added a white led to the door pull handle. The pic further up the thread was taken before I added the extra resistor to dim them down a little. I’ve since fitted caravelle door cards so the ones above will be for sale shortly. :unsure:
@Deaky do you know if they could be connected to dash lights so that I could dim them manually?

Yes, if you connect the, to the blue/grey wire in the door cards they will dim with the dash lights.

:confused:
Yes, if you connect the, to the blue/grey wire in the door cards they will dim with the dash lights.

Did all that looks fab!! :thumbsup:
Now I want to put some white lights on the bottom of the door cards that will come on the same as the interior light does when I unlock via the keyfob... thus illuminating the floor! ;)
@Deaky is there anyway to do this?

Last edited by a moderator:
:confused:

Did all that looks fab!! :thumbsup:
Now I want to put some white lights on the bottom of the door cards that will come on the same as the interior light does when I unlock via the keyfob... thus illuminating the floor! ;)
@Deaky is there anyway to do this?
Yes mate. Pick up the red/black wire +12v and the brown/red -12v from the light in the cab roof, take it down the a pillar, through the door bellows to your door card. This will come on with the courtesy light.

I've ordered the LEDs and holders so this is going to be one of my upcoming projects too.

Back