DIY ambient lighting

5F6C9FE3-0BAE-4AC0-AD5F-B3F07D0551C4.jpeg Got my Caravelle cards from Ebay (Poland), they came with handle LEDs which I wired in. The pocket light had a lens but no light unit. So I wired in a set from Pocket Lights.com - see pic. Doing footwell lights next!

This is exactly the same as mine from what i can tell. Also only have the lens in place so need to find a way of adding a light to it. I'll look into Pocket Lights.com

424182C7-2447-4F48-B8B9-1FC5E7962E94.jpeg
No resistors. Just followed the instructions they sent and posi clipped them into the electric window switch - light circuit. Really straight forward.

Ah ok was looking at making my own. Just wasn't sure on what size LED to use brightness wise. Do you know if they are 5mm or 10mm?

The kit comes with a 6mm drill, so I’d say 5mm LEDs. I put the top one right in the bottom corner facing backwards. The lower pocket is in the middle shining down. They are ok to drive with at night.

Well I finally got around to it and pretty happy with the results. With all the bits mentioned above I built the kit and the brightness matches that of the instruments pretty well.

Thanks all

View attachment 86872View attachment 86871
Here are my lights. Made up the loom etc myself. 6 LEDs in each door (2 white and 4 red). Also fitted mirror down lights. All work perfectly well.

View attachment 70074

View attachment 70075

Hi there,

Will you tell me were exactly you drilled the holes for the led?

it looks very nice

Hi all, First post so be kind. I fancied a try at these door pocket lights. I got the same ones @Keefff above got from eBay. Fitted the passenger side no problem. Just followed the instructions. I hit a snag on the drivers side the instructions said blue/grey for positive no problem. Brown for negative but on the drivers side the feed to the electric windows the brown has a black stripe along it. The instructions said to use feed to the windows. Can anyone tell me if the brown/black is a negative or do I use a brown from one of the other plugs? Thanks for any advice.

Last edited:
Not my night. Got the pocket lights connected and working. Seem to have blown a fuse for the interior lights and tail lights now. Changed the 7.5 fuse and it blew straight away. Any ideas guys? Pocket lights connected to blue/grey for positive and brown for negative. Everything was fine till I fitted pocket lights.

Not my night. Got the pocket lights connected and working. Seem to have blown a fuse for the interior lights and tail lights now. Changed the 7.5 fuse and it blew straight away. Any ideas guys? Pocket lights connected to blue/grey for positive and brown for negative. Everything was fine till I fitted pocket lights.
It points at a short across your new lights. Are the wires sufficiently insulated at the led end? Nothing would blow a fuse otherwise. Might just need a continuity test on a multimeter to check that they are not short circuiting, then you could dig deeper if not .

@Kennymac did you get your fuse issue sorted? I test any wiring/lights I fit off the vehicle first with multimeter or fused 12v supply. Just fitted the van style footwell lights; again a simple job posi-tapped into the courtesy light circuit behind the lower glove box as per info on this forum

@Kennymac did you get your fuse issue sorted? I test any wiring/lights I fit off the vehicle first with multimeter or fused 12v supply. Just fitted the van style footwell lights; again a simple job posi-tapped into the courtesy light circuit behind the lower glove box as per info on this forum
Hi @Keefff no joy I disconnected the leds this morning and still blowing fuses. I seen a guy this afternoon who’s gonna get a look hopefully this week. I haven’t touched anything else so will be interesting to see what’s causing it. Doesn’t help in the meantime though with it being dark so early.

@Keefff do you have photos or details of your testing set up please. Looking at doing this but it would be great to have a way of testing 12v circuits before i put them in the van. Cheers

Hi all,

For the resistors, are these just soldered direct into the cable on the positive side of the LED? Heat shrink around the cable right up to the resistor?

Photos would be amazing if anyone has any!

Cheers,

@Sniggib I have a Halfords power pack with a 12v socket. I have modified a cable with croc clips and 5-amp inline fuse. I didn’t use a fuse initially, but if anything shorted things start to melt pretty quick lol.279F4AD2-51AF-4687-BBA0-C0915E94B039.jpeg

Back