DIY ambient lighting

Deaky

Life’s too short to drink shite beer
VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Got bored today so while I’m waiting for my genuine ‘velle doorcards I had a go myself. They look pretty good. They’ll be up for sale shortly :thumbsup:

ADB8E049-DC38-453A-899C-4C3B696E164C.jpeg

Which LED’s did you use? I assume they are indivual ones in holders rather than strips?

I may get some and do some experiments...

@YellowHound sorry mate I missed your first request. They are connected to the instrument lighting circuit that runs to the window switches. Blue/grey is +ve and brown is -ve. Currently, I think they are a little too bright, I’ve ordered some 1k resistors to dim them down a little

@YellowHound sorry mate I missed your first request. They are connected to the instrument lighting circuit that runs to the window switches. Blue/grey is +ve and brown is -ve. Currently, I think they are a little too bright, I’ve ordered some 1k resistors to dim them down a little

Thank you!
Where did you order your resistors from?

Like this. Looks good. I've veen trying to source the colour LED that BMW use for their down lighting on the overhead courtesy light unit. It's somewhere in between orange and red. You can get orange. You can get red. Just can't source that inbetweeny colour.

Anyone know of a supplier?

@Deaky How did you get on with the resisters? Did 1k give a nice subtle result?

Yes @Ed Webb the resistors dimmed them down nicely. They're off the van now but over the weekend I'll hook them up to a psu and take some photos. Look out for them in the for sale section :thumbsup:

@Deaky having a crack at these tomorrow. :) One question though.
Did you have 1 resister per circuit ie. Leaving the feed and then branching out to the LEDs or 1 resister per LED?
I've had an idea for puddle lights but more research required :speechless:

Did you have 1 resister per circuit ie. Leaving the feed and then branching out to the LEDs or 1 resister per LED?
Use 1 per LED.

for god's sake....will you lot pack it in! I want all this interior ambient lighting but don't want to turn my van into a smouldering blob on my drive! But if anyone's thinking of doing a (total) idiots guide.....that'd be great! @Deaky.....have you also illuminated the interior door handle pull....and do they come on with the headlights or just on opening the doors (and then time out)? Either way.....bl**dy marvellous....respec' to all of you!:thumbsup:

The leds I got already have a resistor attached so you can hook them straight to 12v. I added one 1k resistor to the feed :thumbsup:

for god's sake....will you lot pack it in! I want all this interior ambient lighting but don't want to turn my van into a smouldering blob on my drive! But if anyone's thinking of doing a (total) idiots guide.....that'd be great! @Deaky.....have you also illuminated the interior door handle pull....and do they come on with the headlights or just on opening the doors (and then time out)? Either way.....bl**dy marvellous....respec' to all of you!:thumbsup:
@mopardave they come on with the side lights. Yes, I added a white led to the door pull handle. The pic further up the thread was taken before I added the extra resistor to dim them down a little. I’ve since fitted caravelle door cards so the ones above will be for sale shortly. :unsure:

I’m with @mopardave this is getting silly now. How can us mere mortals keep up with this level of coolness without idiot guides. Deaky master classes required with Beer payment :thumbsup:

I confess I have a light fetish (ask the family) and this isn’t helping my condition :cry:

Back