Disconnecting Battery For A Month - Issues?

@t0mb0 would any particular Battery Master be suitable as an add-on install between a lithium leisure system and AGM vehicle battery? Thanks

@t0mb0 would any particular Battery Master be suitable as an add-on install between a lithium leisure system and AGM vehicle battery? Thanks

Hmmm, well I imagined this simple solution would be fine:

Votronic 3065 StandBy-Charger 12V - Battery Master

But it explicitly says it’s not for a combination of lithium leisure and lead acid starter so more research is probably needed. I don’t know why having a lithium leisure battery would make a difference in this case?

@t0mb0 I saw that limitation on not mixing battery types stated. On another thread we have been discussing one from Solar Sunshine, which I’ll have a look at. Need to check though that I’m not getting a bleed from vehicle to leisure battery or it will all be going round in circles.

Battery Master - Sunshine Solar

@t0mb0 I saw that limitation on not mixing battery types stated. On another thread we have been discussing one from Solar Sunshine, which I’ll have a look at. Need to check though that I’m not getting a bleed from vehicle to leisure battery or it will all be going round in circles.

Battery Master - Sunshine Solar

Those Battery Master type devices definitely only allow current to flow one way - they allow current to flow only when the leisure battery is over 0.5v or so above the starter.

Have a look at this 50W fold up version.

more power + a proper PWM charge controller (which your one doesnt have)

New link on ebay for folding panels.

BlueFusion Portable Folding Solar Panel Charger 50W, 100W, 120W | eBay

screenshot_20190821-114451_ebay-jpg.49308

might help you out over winter months?

though agreed, nothing beats a proper multi-stage charger over winter.
Apologies for the thread ressurection. I have the 50W version of this solar panel on order and want to know if there is an issue with leaving it plugged into my cigarette lighter?

The idea is for it to charge my starter battery. My starter is a Varta AGM, if that makes any difference? I have the factory leisure battery but I understand that this is not relevant until I get around to installing EHU, DC: DC, etc etc.

Last edited:
Apologies for the thread ressurection. I have the 50W version of this solar panel on order and want to know if there is an issue with leaving it plugged into my cigarette lighter?

The idea is for it to charge my starter battery. My starter is a Varta AGM, if that makes any difference? I have the factory leisure battery but I understand that this is not relevant until I get around to installing EHU, DC:DC, etc etc.
No issues.

get a fused 12v plug for the end. (to replace the crock clips)

set controller to SLA/AGM battery type

plug it in and wait for some sun . .

look at getting a battery monitor to see what's going on with voltages and the battery . .

i recommend the BM2 units . .

1615985679951.png

see it done here:

1615985763754.png1615985773357.png1615985782168.png

...... .....
Thanks! What size fuse would I need?
the fuse it protect the cable to the solar controller . . . so 10A should do it.

to make thing easier for myself . . .

i got a pre-made - fused 12v extension cable. . . . . then just cut and joined it. ( or just screwed it onto the PWM controller)

1615990636059.png

According to the manual I found for the controller I should press & hold the only button on the unit until the 4 battery LEDs start flashing .... but they don't do that at all. No clue why.
At least the default is set to a sealed battery so hopefully it's ok. It's quite a grey day here but I can see the volts slowly creeping up (0.01V every few minutes!). Started low (11.6 I think) so I'm glad the charger arrived today ... Sorry for threadjacking by the way.

Back