[Guide] DC-DC Charger (for leisure battery) -- How I Done It --

I've just bought Travelvolts leisure battery, ctek, wiring bundle etc.

What I'd like to ask some nice fellow, is what would be a good solid crimper/stripper set?
Is this ok?
Wire Crimper Stripper Set Meterk Multifunctional Crimping Tool With Carbon Steel Support 0.1-6mm² Adjustable Crimping Range Comfort Grip Terminals Connectors Ratcheting: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools
I have that set. I bought it after I’d done a fair bit of frustrating crimping and can certainly report that it made the remainder nice and easy. If you haven’t pressed ‘buy’ yet then have a look at the hexagonal crimpers for price

Thanks Ads, I've never heard of hex crimp tools before. I was already confused looking at gas blow torches, now thats another spanner in my works. :) No, i hadn't pressed 'buy' just yet. I liked that tool as it also had a stripper and came in a zip folder. (i'm shallow and like tidy tools)

I have both similar to those but I also have one of these, as the one you showed can be a bit severe and cut through strands where as the one below is better for the smaller wires.
1594112054765.png1594112063574.png

STRIP-02a.jpg
I've actually got one of these and tbh it works pretty good. I've a crappy old draper crimper which I've used over the yrs on my old t2, but i'd like to do a professional job rather than my usual tidy amateur. Plus its new tools and thats always great. :)

Added a hex crimp to my purchase. I'd generally solder wires for ferrules, mainly because id always get a rogue wire stabbing my finger and because its tidy. But that looks neater crimped. Butane heat shrink torch next...prob a chef one as theyre cheaper.

Last edited:
I've just bought Travelvolts leisure battery, ctek, wiring bundle etc. What I'd like to ask some nice fellow, is what would be a good solid crimper/stripper set? Is this ok? Wire Crimper Stripper Set Meterk Multifunctional Crimping Tool With Carbon Steel Support 0.1-6mm² Adjustable Crimping Range Comfort Grip Terminals Connectors Ratcheting: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools
Looks like a decent set. I have the same stripper which is good, I only use for stripping, i don’t use the crimp bits inside the handles. The crimper looks to be the same as one my brother has and i borrow occasionally, again it’s decent. I don’t think the crimper will do the large eyelets you will need to put on the main battery cables though. For all the smaller cables on the distribution side it will be ideal.

I bought TV's wiring kit too. I assumed it (and it certainly looks so) already has the large eyelets crimped on. That said, I dont mind buying tools and thanks for pointing out something I haven't got and may well need later on. :)

bit of a different one today . . .

with all this loverly sunny weather (aug 2020) i though i would utilise the shed solar system to charge up the new Lifpo4 battery box.

see the shed setup here:

and the lifpo4 battery box here:

so the idea is im going to use the twin 100ah SLA battery bank via a DC-Dc charger to charge the LifePO4 . .

heres the setup.

20200811_132858.jpg

I've got the Victron Orion 30A dc-dc charger, fitted with Anderson connectors.

20200811_132909.jpg

which is connected to the bus bar for the batteries . . .

20200811_132911.jpg

which is charge from the roof top solar array vis this Victron 100/20 MPPT , , , ,

20200811_132916.jpg

once connected, then enabled vis the APP & Remote loop . . .

we have this . . . 30A charge rate,

20200811_132904.jpg

which was great . . . . . but things soon started to heat up . . . .

withing 5mins the heat from the Victron was serious . . .

check out the Alien vision:

flir_20200811T133617.jpg

this thing was boiling !!!!

flir_20200811T133721.jpg

far too hot too touch , , , , ,

flir_20200811T133806.jpg

But why . . . . . ?

well we can see here:

The SLA 2x100ah battery bank was happy & fully charged @ 12.6v and being float charged but the mppt solar @ 13.2v . . . .

BUT . . . . . becuase the Lifepo4 will MAX charge from ANY charger upto almost 100A we maxed out the Victron orion @ 30A.

This then in turn started pulling 30A from the battery bank.

which caused volt drop . . .

you can see below the solar was adding 14.2A into the mix, b ut it wasnt enough.

Screenshot_20200811-133224.jpg

you can see the volt driop here on the BMV . . .

when drawing 27A the battery bank was being drawn down to 12.2v.

1597173857928.png

but the Orion was trying to charge the lifepo4 at 14.6v . . .

which caused this scenario . . .

The shed battery bank volt drop was down to 11.9v @ 40A (orion input)

and the output was 14.3v @ 30A (orion output)

1597173927049.png

The reason the orion was gettingf so hot was due to the volt drop and the extra current being drawn to try and boost up the voltage to charge the Lifpo4.

Conclusion . . . .

This just goes to show how rubbish standard/sealed lead acid (SLA) batteries are, if you plan on pulling large currents.

they are fine for some basic fairly lights , but thats just about it.

They cant keep up with the current demand and just sag the voltage.

This also goes to show why AGM batteries are much, much better . . . . (much less volt sag under load, and a higher static voltage)

and also shows how awesome the Lifepo4 batteries are and how quickily they can be charged . . . . .

so:

Dont bother with standard SLA, heavy duty, deep cycle etc etc etc batteries for leisure applications.

Only look at AGM or better . . . .

Consider Lifepo4 if you are a power monster =]

Happy Summer peeps . . . .

** NEW PRODUCT **

a 30A version of there 50A dc-dc/mppt monster.

DCC30S 12V 30A DUAL INPUT DC-DC ON-BOARD BATTERY CHARGER WITH MPPT

1597774450079.png

DESCRIPTION
Designed to give you options, the Renogy 30A Dual-Input DC-to-DC MPPT On-Board Battery Charger can charge a service battery in two different ways. The multi-stage charger can utilize connected solar panels or an alternator linked to a starting battery. While your vehicle's alternator prioritizes your starting battery, this unit will allow your solar system to charge your service battery first! It's the smart way to keep yourself fully charged and off-grid longer! With multi-stage charging and multi-chemistry functionality, Renogy's DC-to-DC MPPT Charger has you covered whether you're using Flooded, Gel, AGM, or Lithium batteries.

If you have any questions regarding this product, please call us at 1 (909) 287-7111 or email support@renogy.com.

KEY FEATURES
  • Designed to charge service batteries from two DC inputs—solar panels and alternator.
  • Built-in Maximum Power Point Tracking (MPPT) to maximize solar power generation.
  • 3-phase charging profile (Bulk, Boost, and Float) ensures your service battery charges accurately at the correct voltage levels to 100%.
  • Built-in Voltage Sensitive Relay (VSR) for easy setup with traditional alternators.
  • Compatible with smart alternators (with variable output voltage).
  • Trickle charges the starting battery via solar panels if the service battery is fully charged.
  • Isolation of the starting battery and the service battery.
  • Temperature and voltage compensation features prolong battery life and improve system performance.
  • Smart Protection Features: battery isolation, over-voltage protection, battery temperature protection, over-current protection, overheat protection, reverse current protection, solar panel and alternator reverse polarity protection.
  • Compatible with multiple battery types: AGM, GEL, Flooded, and Lithium.
  • Compact with a sturdy design, it was built tough for all conditions.
PACKAGE INCLUDE
  • Battery Charger X 1
  • Battery Temperature Sensor X 1
  • IGN Signal Wire X 1
  • RS485 Communication Cable X 1

SPECIFICATIONS
System Voltage : 12VDCBattery Voltage Range : 9-16VDC
Maximum Charging Current : 30ABattery Type : SLA, GEL, FLD, LI, USER
Backup Battery Charging Mode : MPPTCharging Efficiency : Up to 97%
Max. Solar Input Voltage : 25VMaximum Solar Input Power : 400W
Alternator Input Voltage : Traditional Alternator: 13.2-16VDC Smart Alternator (Euro 6): 12-16VDCMaximum Alternator Input Power : 400W
Self-consumption : 60mAOperating Temperature Range : -22°F~149°F / -5°C~65°C
Dimensions : 9.2 x 5.8 x 3.0 in / 234 x 146 x 77 mmWeight : 3.13 lbs / 1.42 kg

WARRANTY INFORMATION
Accessories1-year material warranty

CERTIFICATION
certification1.jpg

I sort of like the way these devices are combining more functions into one box, but it worries me what I would do if I was camping in, say, South Portugal (like we were late last year), and the whole unit packed in.
At least at the moment I have 2 discrete units for alternator and solar charging, meaning if one goes then we have the other.

Pete

I made a timber panel for the front of my underseat chassis. I carpeted it and even used some hidden trim clips to secure it to the front of the base chassis using existing holes. I have velcro'd both my CTEK and my 6way dist/fuse box to the panel as the hook part of velcro grabs onto that 4w stretch carpet very tightly and securely. Velcro is wonderful stuff. Cheap from amazon. I seem to be exponentionally increasing my tools. I've now a cable lug crimper on top of the wire stripper, terminal crimper, heat gun etc that I've accumulated. I'll take photos of my u/s leisure installation at weekend. Now its running fine, I want to rejig the wiring and neaten it up, shorten some cable etc. I may also make a panel to sit tight between battery and the remainder of the space with sides too. My earthing point is looking full, I may make an earth busbar. Can I take my dist/fuse box+ve feed from the ctek connection to my leisure battery? Or connect that straight to the +ve terminal on battery? In which case I may also need a +ve busbar.

Top tip: when cleaning hands of spray glue, dont tip a palmful of isopropyl and rub in like soap. Its amazing how many grazes and scratches and cuts you find on your hands. Jeez that hurt like hell. I may have screamed like a baby.

** NEW PRODUCT **

Renogy 30A version (with built in MPPT)

1600624664362.png

1600624645054.png
DESCRIPTION
Designed to give you options, the Renogy 30A Dual-Input DC-to-DC MPPT On-Board Battery Charger can charge a service battery in two different ways. The multi-stage charger can utilize connected solar panels or an alternator linked to a starting battery. While your vehicle's alternator prioritizes your starting battery, this unit will allow your solar system to charge your service battery first! It's the smart way to keep yourself fully charged and off-grid longer! With multi-stage charging and multi-chemistry functionality, Renogy's DC-to-DC MPPT Charger has you covered whether you're using Flooded, Gel, AGM, or Lithium batteries. Now you can unlock monitoring and control features exclusively using the BT-2 Bluetooth Module and Renogy DC Home App (available in both the App Store and Google Play).

If you have any questions regarding this product, please call us at 1 (909) 287-7111 or email support@renogy.com.

KEY FEATURES
  • Designed to charge service batteries from two DC inputs—solar panels and alternator .
  • Built-in Maximum Power Point Tracking (MPPT) to maximize the solar power.
  • 3-phase charging profile (Bulk, Boost, and Float) ensures your service battery will be accurately charged at the correct voltage levels to 100%.
  • Built-in Voltage Sensitive Relay (VSR) for easy setup with traditional alternators.
  • Trickle charges the starting battery via solar panels if the service battery is fully charged.
  • Temperature and voltage compensation features prolong battery life and improve system performance.
  • Smart Protection Features: battery isolation, over-voltage protection, battery temperature protection, over-current protection, overheat protection, reverse current protection, solar panel and alternator reverse polarity protection.
  • Bluetooth Monitoring Ready! Exclusively available with the BT-2 Bluetooth Module accessory and Renogy DC Home App available on the IOS and Google Play Stores.
PACKAGE INCLUDE
  • Battery Charger X 1
  • IGN Signal Wire X 1

** NEW PRODUCT **

12V 60A DC TO DC BATTERY CHARGER

1600624721443.png

DESCRIPTION
The DCC12 Series battery chargers are the most effective way to charge your auxiliary or house batteries from the alternator/starter battery. Compatible with a multitude of alternator types, the DCC12 offers correct charging for AGM, Flooded, Gel, and even Lithium deep cycle batteries! Featuring a 3-stage battery charger and multiple electronic protections, owners can feel confident that their batteries are being charged optimally and automatically. For added safety to personnel, the DCC12 isolates the input from the output preventing incorrect voltage transmission. Easily install the compact yet sturdy DC1212 on RV’s, commercial vehicles, boats, yachts and many more applications!

KEY FEATURES

• Multi-Chemistry Battery Types: AGM, Flooded, Gel, and Lithium
  • Smart Protection Features: Over-voltage safety, Overheat protection, and Reverse polarity protection
  • Battery Input and Output Isolation
  • 3-phase Charging: Bulk, Boost, and Float
  • Compact, sturdy design, built tough for all conditions
  • Increases run time of loads, such as fridges and lights
  • Overcomes voltage drop caused by long cable runs
  • Prolongs Battery Life
PACKAGE INCLUDES
Renogy 60A DC to DC Battery Charger
RNG-DCC60A.jpg
1 x
DCDC.png

** NEW PRODUCT **

12V 20A DC TO DC ON-BOARD BATTERY CHARGER

1600624971528.png

DESCRIPTION
The DCC12 Series battery chargers are the most effective way to charge your auxiliary or house batteries from the alternator/starter battery. Compatible with a multitude of alternator types, the DCC12 offers correct charging for AGM, Flooded, Gel, and even Lithium deep cycle batteries! Featuring a 3-stage battery charger and multiple electronic protections, owners can feel confident that their batteries are being charged optimally and automatically. For added safety to personnel, the DCC12 isolates the input from the output preventing incorrect voltage transmission. Easily install the compact yet sturdy DC1212 on RV’s, commercial vehicles, boats, yachts and many more applications!

If you have any questions regarding this product; please email supportuk@renogy.com.

Note: Our product department found that there are some errors in the physical manual copy attached to the battery charger sold before March , and now the manual on the website has been updated. Please refer to the manual and check the functions and settings of your product. If you have any questions, please contact us in time.

Note: The DCC12 series battery chargers are incompatible with RTSCC-G1 battery temperature sensor, but we will launch a new sensor RTSDCC-G1 compatible with the DC-DC on-board battery chargers in the near future.

KEY FEATURES

• Multi-Chemistry Battery Types: AGM, Flooded, Gel, and Lithium
  • Smart Protection Features: Over-voltage safety, Overheat protection, and Reverse polarity protection
  • Battery Input and Output Isolation
  • 3-phase Charging: Bulk, Boost, and Float
  • Compact, sturdy design, built tough for all conditions
  • Increases run time of loads, such as fridges and lights
  • Overcomes voltage drop caused by long cable runs
  • Prolongs Battery Life
PACKAGE INCLUDE
Renogy 20A DC to DC Battery Charger
RNG-DCC1212-20.jpg
1 x
DCDC.jpg

** NEW PRODUCT **

Renogy 30A version (with built in MPPT)

View attachment 85762

View attachment 85761
DESCRIPTION
Designed to give you options, the Renogy 30A Dual-Input DC-to-DC MPPT On-Board Battery Charger can charge a service battery in two different ways. The multi-stage charger can utilize connected solar panels or an alternator linked to a starting battery. While your vehicle's alternator prioritizes your starting battery, this unit will allow your solar system to charge your service battery first! It's the smart way to keep yourself fully charged and off-grid longer! With multi-stage charging and multi-chemistry functionality, Renogy's DC-to-DC MPPT Charger has you covered whether you're using Flooded, Gel, AGM, or Lithium batteries. Now you can unlock monitoring and control features exclusively using the BT-2 Bluetooth Module and Renogy DC Home App (available in both the App Store and Google Play).

KEY FEATURES
  • Designed to charge service batteries from two DC inputs—solar panels and alternator .
  • Built-in Maximum Power Point Tracking (MPPT) to maximize the solar power.
  • 3-phase charging profile (Bulk, Boost, and Float) ensures your service battery will be accurately charged at the correct voltage levels to 100%.
  • Bluetooth Monitoring Ready! Exclusively available with the BT-2 Bluetooth Module accessory and Renogy DC Home App available on the IOS and Google Play Stores.
PACKAGE INCLUDE
  • Battery Charger X 1
  • IGN Signal Wire X 1

This looks like a really good alternative to the CTEK250SE. About the same price but with the Bluetooth connection to manage it. Similar VOC (25V) on the solar side so won’t be suitable for large solar installations but still a great looking option.

This looks like a really good alternative to the CTEK250SE. About the same price but with the Bluetooth connection to manage it. Similar VOC (25V) on the solar side so won’t be suitable for large solar installations but still a great looking option.
Yep.

25v voc.

But your be able to parallel up the panels to either 15A or 30A if it the same as the 50A dc-dc.

1600794054513.png

@andys

did you see this . . . . .

i bought one to open up.

Is there a consensus of opinion on which 3 way b2b charger is the one to go for yet...??
Is the Bm2 the best phone app also
Newbie needing advice soz

Back