Day-van insurance comedy - first time cover - £2667.85!

gp t6

VIP Member
So first time van cover went to the default compare website - Quote via Go Compare - £2667.85.

Ooh let me think...

Called A Plan Thatcham - spoke with Callum & Harry - both really knowledgable, £570 inc breakdown and legal cover.

Also quoted Van Cave - as had seen in another post and got a discount too!

So first time van cover went to the default compare website - Quote via Go Compare - £2667.85.

Ooh let me think...

Called A Plan Thatcham - spoke with Callum & Harry - both really knowledgable, £570 inc breakdown and legal cover.

Also quoted Van Cave - as had seen in another post and got a discount too!
Pretty standard behaviour for companies that don't want the business - quote exceptionally high knowing you won't take the quote and not have to be quoted as one of those companies that are renowned for "declining".

My LV Insurance has risen from £260.94 to £377.84, due 3/6/23. Did have a claim in December, so not really surprised, checked the usual compare stuff and nothing close. Driver 50 years 10 plus NCB, no current points, and that is for 4 drivers.

My NFU renewal quote went up 27% this year, I sent them a quick email saying that wasn’t a competitive quote and got a reply 24 hours later stating that they had revisited some criteria and I should be happy now.

My LV Insurance has risen from £260.94 to £377.84, due 3/6/23. Did have a claim in December, so not really surprised, checked the usual compare stuff and nothing close. Driver 50 years 10 plus NCB, no current points, and that is for 4 drivers.
I have the car and van with LV - both vehicles have gone up by around £140 each despite having no claims in the last 15 years and the obvious fact both vehicles are worth less than they were last year.

Like you I’m looking round. I can save a little bit but digging into the detail there is always a compromise against the existing cover.

And politicians and the BoE keep telling us to stop asking for pay rises, bless them.

I know know you can't compare the two, but I was extremely surprised when the renewal came through for my Smart Car last week from Privilege Insurance, exactly the same as last year.

I have the car and van with LV - both vehicles have gone up by around £140 each despite having no claims in the last 15 years and the obvious fact both vehicles are worth less than they were last year.

Like you I’m looking round. I can save a little bit but digging into the detail there is always a compromise against the existing cover.

And politicians and the BoE keep telling us to stop asking for pay rises, bless them.
Had the same with LV, declined the renewal, wife went on and got a quote to see if they are treating new and existing customers the same (as I think the law was changed to ensure?) and the price was cheaper than 2022.

In my opinion LV had treated us well during COVID and 21/22, but seem to be trying to please the shareholders in 23!

Been with LV for years on multicar an was pleasantly surprised (shocked) when we bought the Caravelle last year just after renewal that swapping a £13k XC70 for a £60k VW actually resulted in a small refund after the admin fee (£1)

This year the quote has jumped from £420 to £720 :oops:

Only circumstances that have changed is the windscreen repair on our other XC70 failed so we had to claim for a full replacement last month.

Anyone else seeing similar increases this year?

Mine went up by £100 to £570 including £75 for AV had a phone round everyone apart from comfort the same give or take so renewed

Being quoted a ridiculous price isn’t as bad as being refused insurance as when you supply details to an insurance company you are asked ‘ Have you ever been refused insurance?’
If you lie then it’s just another get out clause to use against you.

Been with LV for years on multicar an was pleasantly surprised (shocked) when we bought the Caravelle last year just after renewal that swapping a £13k XC70 for a £60k VW actually resulted in a small refund after the admin fee (£1)

This year the quote has jumped from £420 to £720 :oops:

Only circumstances that have changed is the windscreen repair on our other XC70 failed so we had to claim for a full replacement last month.

Anyone else seeing similar increases this year?
It's simply supply-side inflation working its way through the whole economy - there have been unprecedented rises in repair and personal injury costs and this is what is driving premiums up significantly.

It's simply supply-side inflation working its way through the whole economy - there have been unprecedented rises in repair and personal injury costs and this is what is driving premiums up significantly.
Agreed and not unexpected, but the near doubling from one of the oft recommended insurers is an unpleasant surprise.

Reactions: Bav
plus I found with both my van and house insurance both companies would not reduce their premiums to match others even by £10

Agreed and not unexpected, but the near doubling from one of the oft recommended insurers is an unpleasant surprise.
And then it’s a vicious cycle as more people seem to decide insurance is an unaffordable luxury yet carry on driving. If/when these folk get into an accident we all pay through increasing premiums.

Over complicated vehicles with more equipment than a space shuttle. I just want a van that goes from A > B everytime without breaking down. I don’t need a radar, automatic braking, lane assist, ……..
The EU have no regard for consumer opinion - we are proles and are expected to do as we are told and be grateful.

Being quoted a ridiculous price isn’t as bad as being refused insurance as when you supply details to an insurance company you are asked ‘ Have you ever been refused insurance?’
If you lie then it’s just another get out clause to use against you.
I may be wrong here, but isn’t the refused insurance situation when your existing insurer decides to refuse to continue your insurance mid term due to changing circumstances/driving offences/claims made, rather than an insurer refusing to quote your proposal for insurance? There’s many factors why an insurer may decline to quote and not all are negatively reflective of you or your vehicle. It can be due to their own insurance pool being unsuitable to you.

I may be wrong here, but isn’t the refused insurance situation when your existing insurer decides to refuse to continue your insurance mid term due to changing circumstances/driving offences/claims made, rather than an insurer refusing to quote your proposal for insurance? There’s many factors why an insurer may decline to quote and not all are negatively reflective of you or your vehicle. It can be due to their own insurance pool being unsuitable to you.
The "refused insurance" question relates to an insurer's express refusal to continue (or start) providing cover due to previous fraudulent activity. Examples of fraudulent activity include things like making a false declaration, staging a crash or attributing a speeding ticket to someone who wasn't the driver.

In this context, you are not deemed to have had "insurance refused" if an insurer simply won't provide you with a quote because you don't meet their current underwriting criteria. If that were the case, no-one would be able to get insurance as there'll always be insurers who don't want your business because you don't fit their acceptance criteria.

Back