Cruise control retrofit / warranty

Nathan

Does anyone know.... if I get a cruise control retrofit done, can it affect the vans warranty (it still has 13 months to run)? My local dealership was pretty vague, stating that it 'could', but of course they aren't overly helpful and won't fit it themselves!

Not sure about the warranty Nathan, but I had CC fitted to my van by Professional Retrofits. OE parts used and works exactly as if factory fitted. Its a stalk switch replacement, wiring loom and then the body control module gets coded using VCDS so that the vehicle knows its fitted.

Provided it's fitted properly don't see how it could have any effect on warranty

There are places that fit the OE system so it can't affect your warranty so long as they are bona fide and certificate the job.

Thanks for the replies..... the official line from VW is very similar..... here it is for anyone else with concernsScreen Shot 2017-10-22 at 09.32.29.png

Hahaha
In 2014, VW UK messed up their configurator and anyone ordering a MY14 Highline had it delivered without the cruise control fitted. Several hundred vans affected. Retrofitting would have needed a replacement stalk and a body control module in most cases - expensive.
So VW found an aftermarket cruise control that looked like it came from a christmas cracker. A hideous thing that did not integrate into the MFD. VW said retrofitting factory cruise was impossible, highly dangerous, likely to cause fires, was not type approved and every other bullshyte excuse they could think of. I took mine to HazyDayz - not cheap but VW dealers use them - and they fitted factory cruise no bother.

Looks like VW tell a different story when they are not footing the bill.

You could still buy the LHD kit in Europe and have support for it (you can buy a LHD kit in the UK but no support for it).
The reason the UK importer removed it from sale for RHD is they did have a van fire when someone didn’t follow the instructions correctly.
The only other thing to be mindful of is any factory software updates done for totally different reasons due to campaigns or revisions at the dealer or by Roadside Assistance could return your engine (or BCM) ecu to factory settings which would need a simple recode via VCDS or similar to restore CCS function.
The dealer/RA would be blocked from doing this as it was a retrofit so the system 42 server won’t show the van as having CCS PR code when it left the factory unless an SVM has been applied to update the server. As RHD retrofit is no longer allowed in the UK (it used to be), that won’t happen which is why they say it can’t be officially done, their hands are tied.

Last edited:
Back