Engine light came on while ..

djgriff

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi, I was on the motorway doing 65 in cruise control and the engine light suddenly came on . I had no loss of power and engine sounds smooth. Called the garage I bought it from and they were great said bring it back asap and will get it fixed . However I am 3 months into 6 month warranty and think I would love to be able to check the fault codes and clear them and so on. Could anyone recommend a good fault code checker and where I can purchase one . Love my van and look to have it for many years to come. Cheers
Daniel

In order of cost
Carista
OBDeleven
VCDS

There are others. Carista is cheap and really easy to use, but obv not fully functional coding. Great for fault codes and resetting, as well as dpf soot monitoring and some customisation.

More info on Carista....

More info on VCDS....

I've got OBD11....

Just need to do a write up on it ...

But as @huw169 says it sits in-between the two above.

Start with Carista for the basics.... Then if you need more look into one of the other two.

Yeah I think I would be looking for more than codes, I think the VDCS v-tech looks like a good one, how are you finding the OBD11?
Thanks

Are those all in one systems on Amazon any good? Or a waste of money and time

cool thanks, just purchased one and will see how i get on. Thanks for the advice!

Best

Daniel

There is another thread on here regarding engine lights and cruise control. I have stopped using cruise for long distances as it’s the only time I have had the fault appear.

There is another thread on here regarding engine lights and cruise control. I have stopped using cruise for long distances as it’s the only time I have had the fault appear.
Can you link it?
Maybe egr as that is when it is mainly operational.

Found some previous post but not sure how to link so just pasted the url. Hope it works.

Thanks for link, didn’t realise cruise control was a problem, will check out the thread now cheers

Not seen the thread mentioned but I wonder if the fault is to do with SCR reductant quality/effectiveness?
The past two times my MIL has come on it has been while in cruise (I seem to remember the light came on after changing gear whilst cruise control was engaged) and both times have been Adblue system issues.
I clear the DTC’s and carry on.

Hmm interesting, so my add blue level still states 3500miles till I need to add more. I will be dropping my van back to the garage I bought it from today. See what they say, and take it from there. I imagine they will clear it then say it’s fine ha. Have to wait and see what the outcome is.

Not seen the thread mentioned but I wonder if the fault is to do with SCR reductant quality/effectiveness?
The past two times my MIL has come on it has been while in cruise (I seem to remember the light came on after changing gear whilst cruise control was engaged) and both times have been Adblue system issues.
I clear the DTC’s and carry on.
If you keep clearing them, is this ok to do? i mean is there actually an issue or just a faulty sensor?
thanks

From memory the fault code was saying something like the adblue was having no effect, but I have recently drained, flushed and refilled the adblue tank to try to fix it, I do so little miles I think it may have been on its original fill out of the factory.

just a Note i saw at the weekend .. from Scotty Kilmer on U tube is not to leave the fault finding Dongles / Testers in place all the time

Just do the fault checks and remove from dash or it can Damage or badly corrupt the Engine Management Controller . costing 1000s

garages use proper testers for this type of testing.

just a Note i saw at the weekend .. from Scotty Kilmer on U tube is not to leave the fault finding Dongles / Testers in place all the time

Just do the fault checks and remove from dash or it can Damage or badly corrupt the Engine Management Controller . costing 1000s

garages use proper testers for this type of testing.
thanks for the heads up!

So just got a call from the dealer and he said that the faults (39 of em) some not all, had some reference to low voltage. Apparently all the fault codes have been cleared and they have taken it on 2 drives with no faults coming up at all.. so he wants me to drive it for a week and see if i can get anything to come.. fingers crossed it was something erroneous and nothing to bad lurking in the background.

Cheers for all the help, support and suggestions - will be back to let you know if its resolved

Cheers

Daniel

Back