Crafter (2017-onwards) Alarm / Deadlocks

yorkshirekev

Hi

I'm getting a Crafter to convert and it comes with the Business Pack, which includes the alarm. I'd just like to know what people do when you're actually living in it / at night?
  • Do you just use the internal central locking switch and leave it unalarmed / not deadlocked?
  • Do you double press the keyfob lock button (which I think alarms it outside, not inside, and doesn't set deadlocks)?
  • Do you press the button on the door edge / pillar, shut the door and press the keyfob lock button once?
The biggest problem I see is that with the standard triple seat, it'll not be easy to get to the driver's door from the inside... Then more general questions as to how it works

• If it's alarmed and you open a door from the inside to go out (without unlocking using the keyfob), would that sound the alarm or does opening from the inside disable it?
  • Is the only internal central locking button on the driver's door?
  • Does the alarm even cover the load area?
Sorry for all the questions. I haven't picked it up yet and it's too far for me to go test it out. I'd like to know what can be done beforehand.

TIA.

Kev

If you lock it with the fob it will arm the interior sensors. To use the button on the b pillar you have to open the drivers door, push the button, shut the door then lock with the key. This will disable the interior sensors.

Best thing is to lock the van from inside using the button on the door, this will lock all doors but not dead lock them and will not set the alarm.

If you lock it with the fob it will arm the interior sensors.

Thanks, however I've just seen this in the manual - assuming mine has Safelock, this might prove the best way (my bold formatting):

The SAFELOCK mechanism blocks the door opening levers and the central locking button when the vehicle is locked. This makes it more difficult to break into the vehicle. The doors can no longer be opened from the inside....

• Press the
    a165MK
    button on the vehicle key twice
  • OR: before locking the vehicle, press the
    s138MK
    button once to switch off the interior monitoring function and anti-tow alarm ⇒ Interior monitoring and anti-tow alarm .
  • OR: press the central locking button
    a165MK
    in the driver door once.
The vehicle is locked. SAFELOCK was not activated.

The following applies when SAFELOCK is deactivated:
  • The vehicle can be unlocked and opened from the inside using the door release lever.
  • The anti-theft alarm is active.
  • The interior monitoring system and anti-tow alarm are deactivated.

Surely if the alarm was active, it’ll sound the alarm if you open the door from the inside?
Don't know tbh, am hoping someone knows or can test. It's certainly feasible that VW could code it so that the inside handle deactivated the alarm in the same way a specific fob button does. However, I would think the same as you.

Using the fob is a bad idea, one the alarm is on and 2 you risk locking yourself out.

Assuming the locking system/controls are similar to a T6 then you should be able to run a cable from front to back to replicate the drivers door buttons

May be adding an extra/parallel door switch to unlock/lock the doors when inside.
Hopefully this works also on Crafter ---> Locking doors from the back of the van. ~ Stop me before I do something silly :P

Thanks! (and Pauly). However, it's a nearly new van so I don't want to get into attacking the electrics or other internals to protect what bits of the warranty might still apply when great big holes are cut in the sides I'd also be a bit worried about insurance, as someone in that thread picked up on - you're tampering with security after all

Press the lock button on the fob twice. (Leave about half a second between presses)
The alarm is still set and when you or others get out in the night for a wee, you wake up the whole campsite, as you’ll forget.

Back