Coca Cola Kombi’s and HMRC

Interesting to note that both the Kombi’s in question were fitted with bulkheads

Yep, he’s been told by his firm that it means that HMRC can now back date any revenue due for 5 years:eek:

Having just bought two kombi vans for work, our vans are 5 seats and a bulkhead. We need to transport men to jobs and carry tools. Our accountant has claimed vat back. V5 states light goods vehicle and classed has N1. If it’s for work , then it’s a work van.

DVLA tell us its a van, HMRC tell us its a car ?

Having read the above, IMO it is about been a ‘goods vehicle’ not a van, however it’s about the vans primary purpose, carrying goods / burden or passengers.
How they agreed it’s passenger carrier is beyond me, however it’s in the attached link to the paper.

It's the greyest shade of grey. The verdict was given on the fact that as the kombis had seats that took up load space there was no definitive primary purpose. Crazy rules, frustrating decision. Interestingly the verdict still doesn't set a precedent as it wasn't at the high court and i've seen on a fleet news blog that it doesn't look like HMRC will immediately look to change legislation or rules etc.

In light of this news I had a worried meeting with a director at my work today. I have a build week of week 15 and will be using a T32 Kombi, mainly for work purposes, but with personal benefit at weekends etc. If the ruling were to apply to me i'd be looking at £600 per month CCT rather than £144 per month VBC.

As long as HMRC keep concentrating on big business company vehicles, they will leave hard working SE people alone....

As long as HMRC keep concentrating on big business company vehicles, they will leave hard working SE people alone....

I'm actually an employee of an SME with a fleet of about 60 cars, 100 employees. We generally fly off the radar for legislative matters as we are squeaky clean and pretty much always use the guidelines and recommended rates for fuel and mileage etc. I've had company cars at this place for 20 years and am switching to the van for safety reasons relating to the quantity of equipment that I need to carry. There are no cars big enough for the loads to be carried in the boot, with a row of seats between it and me. Since the decision to go to vans was decided on i have been struggling with emergency measures and have used the pool van or hire van for times when i really need to carry lots of boxes of kit. I cannot wait for my new van to come as it will liberate me at work again. Business miles to private miles is generally 1700 per month to 300 per month. 24k per year in total. I'm hoping to just keep my head down and start paying Van Benefit Charge rather than Company Car Tax when I declare my new vehicle in May.

If only. I've been involved in "discussions" with HMRC for nearly 2yrs now as part of wide-reaching investigation into self employed persons involved in my industry that they would be able to apply elsewhere, and it's not going well. And they're rubbing their hands over the changes in taxation of Personal Services Companies (1 man band or similar size setting themselves up as limited companies for tax reasons) following their successful forcing the IR35 measures through parliament. Things in the tax world are going to get tougher for smaller contractors from next April...

^^ hope it works out for you .... but remember a van will be noisier than a car ...

If only. I've been involved in "discussions" with HMRC for nearly 2yrs now as part of wide-reaching investigation into self employed persons involved in my industry that they would be able to apply elsewhere, and it's not going well. And they're rubbing their hands over the changes in taxation of Personal Services Companies (1 man band or similar size setting themselves up as limited companies for tax reasons) following their successful forcing the IR35 measures through parliament. Things in the tax world are going to get tougher for smaller contractors from next April...

I’m a sole trader ....IR 35 .... HMRC need to be investigating football clubs, radio stations and TV channels ... they ALL break IR 35 rules

^^ hope it works out for you .... but remember a van will be noisier than a car ...
I'm going to love the van, no doubts. I've taken several Transporters on test drives, driven lots of LCV's over the years and am well prepared for it. Thanks for the advice though, been enjoying this forum for a fee months now in preparation. One thing I may do, despite what i just said, is get the front door seal kit, and the dashboard strip too. May as well make it as comfy and quiet as possible asap.

I'm going to love the van, no doubts. I've taken several Transporters on test drives, driven lots of LCV's over the years and am well prepared for it. Thanks for the advice though, been enjoying this forum for a fee months now in preparation. One thing I may do, despite what i just said, is get the front door seal kit, and the dashboard strip too. May as well make it as comfy and quiet as possible asap.

Hum ... I have a high line and think VW forgot to fit any soundproofing ..... it’s noisy on a flat even surface.... on a rough surface with kit on board it’s terrible

Back