The Road Is Loooooong...

WelshAl

Hi all.

This was not only the most expensive car I've bought but also the most specific and the smallest pool to choose from.

We are in Banbury and travelled south and north, eventually finding one outside Nottingham which was spot-on, even had the right colour.

I took my time and waited until we'd seen just about everything in our price range between Swindon and Swaledale.

HPI checks taught me about stocking loan finance with dealers, which gave me a bit of a jolt when the HPI check failed, thought it was sorted by calling the finance company.

So after 2 months and about £300 in costs, we found the right one.

upload_2019-6-11_23-59-19.png
open

open

We were taken by the Edition 35 versions for sale as the paint is nice and the two-tone leather seats are nice, but they're expensive for what they are.

In the end we went for an Executive spec 180 with high-ish mileage but in good condition and our favourite colour.
And toys. Oh, the toys.

So far so good, it's a thirsty beast but comfy and OK to drive.

We love:
  • Ride height; hedges, what hedges? You feel good when you're up high.
  • Leather seats; stains, what stains? The leather is good quality and in good condition after 7 years.
  • Sat Nav; no more getting lost because the phone battery died.
  • Touch-screen radio; soooooooo easy to use.
  • Twin side doors; great in car parks, excellent for access to the toddler / dog / mother in law (delete as applicable).
  • Electric sliding doors; top gadget, fun to use even with repair bills an ever-present worry in mind.
  • Key fob sliding door actuation; woohooooooo!. When you become a parent and give up your hobbies, past-times, TV viewing habits and in some cases friends, little things like this can bring a tear of joy to your eye.
  • Sliding seats; no more kicking mummy's chair when we want to stop / eat something else / get some attention.
  • Captain's Chairs; So comfy! And with arm-rests!
  • Removable seating; seems like a great idea. Doesn't look easy or light, but seems a great idea.
  • Arm-rests; it bears repeating. Sooooooo gooooood.
  • DSG gearboxes; OK, it's not a sports car but still it feels rapid, and I no longer have to change gear in the interminable traffic jams which mar all car journeys these days.
  • Air con; natch. Even use it on cold days. Because I can. and it's Dual Climate so I have my own fans for the first time. Now I know how Tom Jones feels; old and gray but coo-oo-oooool.
  • Roof-mounted rear air con; Yay! more buttons for toddler not to reach and shout about, but nice to have in the back for when I get relegated to looking after the vomiting dog / child / mother in law.
  • Towbar; removable, so no more smacking my shin. I was getting tired of that. Loving the idea of this, but at 20mpg it will be a blue moon in hell before I hitch anything up. Unless I get told to, of course.
  • Sliding cup holders; I know, where have I been? In older, cheaper cars of course!
  • Sliding table in the back; love it. Mini-shopping trips easily accommodated, and there are more cupholders!
  • Turning wing mirrors; Look! They turn upside down! Do it again!
  • Overtaking warning; there's a setting to allow the indicators and parking sensors to tell you when someone is passing you and on which side. It is electable, so traffic jams won't turn your Caravelle into an outdoor disco.

We don't love;
  • Carpet; lovely carpet, but it's a dirt magnet and so we will have to fork out for mats. Everywhere.
  • DAB Radio; can't get a signal for love nor money, unlike our Touran. Hope it's not aerial damage. DAB radio not covered in owners' manual!
  • Cup holders for espresso; they're a bit shallow, aren't they?
  • 20mpg; who does, it will spur me on to become a slower driver. Environment 0, Safety in built-up-areas 1.
  • VW Lighter sockets; why do they have those silly spring-loaded covers which always break? And why is it in the cupholder tray ? Are VW ashamed of electrical goods?
  • No USB; Sadly, there's no USB socket so you have to plug a 12v charger into the socket in the cup holder...
  • Glove box; only silk gloves to apply as there's no room for anything bigger. Its tiny! Learn from Ford!
  • Electric windows; or rather the lack of them. They would have been welcome in the back sliding doors. If VW can build a W16 engine, surely this shouldn't be out of their reach?

I can't wait to see how it does as a second vehicle, and as we intend to go camping this summer it will be tested to the max. Fingers crossed.

Welcome to the T6 Forum, don’t worry about having a T5 we’ll still talk to you. I may even wave when I see you cruising around Banbury, albeit it sounds as though you are unlikely to wave back as you have child/ dog/mother in law distractions.
Only a couple of miles outside Banbury myself.

Hi all.

This was not only the most expensive car I've bought but also the most specific and the smallest pool to choose from.

We are in Banbury and travelled south and north, eventually finding one outside Nottingham which was spot-on, even had the right colour.

I took my time and waited until we'd seen just about everything in our price range between Swindon and Swaledale.

HPI checks taught me about stocking loan finance with dealers, which gave me a bit of a jolt when the HPI check failed, thought it was sorted by calling the finance company.

So after 2 months and about £300 in costs, we found the right one.

View attachment 45120
open

open

We were taken by the Edition 35 versions for sale as the paint is nice and the two-tone leather seats are nice, but they're expensive for what they are.

In the end we went for an Executive spec 180 with high-ish mileage but in good condition and our favourite colour.
And toys. Oh, the toys.

So far so good, it's a thirsty beast but comfy and OK to drive.

We love:
  • Ride height; hedges, what hedges? You feel good when you're up high.
  • Leather seats; stains, what stains? The leather is good quality and in good condition after 7 years.
  • Sat Nav; no more getting lost because the phone battery died.
  • Touch-screen radio; soooooooo easy to use.
  • Twin side doors; great in car parks, excellent for access to the toddler / dog / mother in law (delete as applicable).
  • Electric sliding doors; top gadget, fun to use even with repair bills an ever-present worry in mind.
  • Key fob sliding door actuation; woohooooooo!. When you become a parent and give up your hobbies, past-times, TV viewing habits and in some cases friends, little things like this can bring a tear of joy to your eye.
  • Sliding seats; no more kicking mummy's chair when we want to stop / eat something else / get some attention.
  • Captain's Chairs; So comfy! And with arm-rests!
  • Removable seating; seems like a great idea. Doesn't look easy or light, but seems a great idea.
  • Arm-rests; it bears repeating. Sooooooo gooooood.
  • DSG gearboxes; OK, it's not a sports car but still it feels rapid, and I no longer have to change gear in the interminable traffic jams which mar all car journeys these days.
  • Air con; natch. Even use it on cold days. Because I can. and it's Dual Climate so I have my own fans for the first time. Now I know how Tom Jones feels; old and gray but coo-oo-oooool.
  • Roof-mounted rear air con; Yay! more buttons for toddler not to reach and shout about, but nice to have in the back for when I get relegated to looking after the vomiting dog / child / mother in law.
  • Towbar; removable, so no more smacking my shin. I was getting tired of that. Loving the idea of this, but at 20mpg it will be a blue moon in hell before I hitch anything up. Unless I get told to, of course.
  • Sliding cup holders; I know, where have I been? In older, cheaper cars of course!
  • Sliding table in the back; love it. Mini-shopping trips easily accommodated, and there are more cupholders!
  • Turning wing mirrors; Look! They turn upside down! Do it again!
  • Overtaking warning; there's a setting to allow the indicators and parking sensors to tell you when someone is passing you and on which side. It is electable, so traffic jams won't turn your Caravelle into an outdoor disco.

We don't love;
  • Carpet; lovely carpet, but it's a dirt magnet and so we will have to fork out for mats. Everywhere.
  • DAB Radio; can't get a signal for love nor money, unlike our Touran. Hope it's not aerial damage. DAB radio not covered in owners' manual!
  • Cup holders for espresso; they're a bit shallow, aren't they?
  • 20mpg; who does, it will spur me on to become a slower driver. Environment 0, Safety in built-up-areas 1.
  • VW Lighter sockets; why do they have those silly spring-loaded covers which always break? And why is it in the cupholder tray ? Are VW ashamed of electrical goods?
  • No USB; Sadly, there's no USB socket so you have to plug a 12v charger into the socket in the cup holder...
  • Glove box; only silk gloves to apply as there's no room for anything bigger. Its tiny! Learn from Ford!
  • Electric windows; or rather the lack of them. They would have been welcome in the back sliding doors. If VW can build a W16 engine, surely this shouldn't be out of their reach?

I can't wait to see how it does as a second vehicle, and as we intend to go camping this summer it will be tested to the max. Fingers crossed.
Welcome pal. Cracking write up and full of detail.
The Van's are full of compromises as is every vehicle but I hope you grow to love it. I have had much better vehicles, from performance cars to Van's but I enjoy this one more than all of them put together...cant put my finger on why strangely enough!!
Enjoy the ride

Back