When is a van not a van ... ask HMRC!

You really couldn't make it up.

Vivaro combi is a van
Transporter combi is a car

HMRC is in total chaos and unable to interpret the rules that they themselves have drawn up.

Guess sales of Vivaro Kombis are about to sky rocket then. Won't be long before the manufacturers get involved so probably not over yet.

I read this in the article "Obviously the VW Kombi and Vauxhall Vivaro have been classified but what about all those other double-cab alternatives?" so......?

a van becomes a van once the payload is over 1000kgs, that's a T32 Kombi, the other t28/t30 are cars because payload is below the magic 1000kgs payload

Last edited by a moderator:
a van becomes a van wants the payload is over 1000kgs, that's a T32 Kombi, the other t28/t30 are cars because payload is below the magic 1000kgs payload

This is for reclamation of VAT, the issue really is for the BIK. Whether you pay as Company Car or Company Van.

The difference is over 1100 a year more in tax :(

Chrisfraser is correct. A vehicle can be classified differently for VAT than it is for benefit in kind. Joined Up Goverment? Purrrrleeeeze
And don't drive your Kombi on a dual carriageway at over 60mph because Plod has his own ideas about what is a car and what is a van.

Easiest way to deal with it is to say No Private Use Whatsoever and make sure you have a nice car that you can use for pleasure. Anyone who has driven a T32 over the shyte road surfaces in the UK is doing it because they have to.

Tax inspector says you are using your kombi for pleasure trips......you show her the Aston Vantage and ask her what she would rather drive on a day out.

Make sure you can show how you pay for the upkeep of the Vantage....

Payload is calculated one way by VW and another by HMRC ! it is possible for some T30 variants to pass the one ton payload ! the following is just my opinion and clearly I could be wrong but bear with me, VW use an unladen weight for calculating payload which includes 75 kilos for driver and 90% fuel load, HMRC I believe use kerb weight which there definition is no persons and a full tank of fuel and adequate liquids for its propulsion, taking a Kombi T30 SWB Highline 150PS manual which has a gross vehicle weight 2055 minus 75 kilos for driver =1980kilos plus the extra 10% fuel which is 7 litres @ .845 kilos = 5.92 kilos so gross vehicle weight now 1,985.9 kilos giving a payload of 1014.1 kilos.

Now cleary this is cutting it a bit fine but I think this passes the 1 ton payload test and VAT 100% reclaimable, I also think your case is strengthened further if you have a bulkhead behind passenger seats for the load area which with the measurements I have is slightly bigger than the passenger area.

I would agree that a T32 gives a bit more peace of mind on some models, however LWB 4 motion dig etc its not happening due to the significant gross vehicle weights

Always wondered if the the Hmrc line about the vehicle having "passenger doors" (note the plural) would be significant in an interpretation. As standard the Kombi only has a single door to the rear seats.
None the less, will be making sure ours is used for business only to be on the safe side.

"a vehicle with side windows behind the driver and passenger doors..."

So if you have a kombi with a payload >1000kg; and reclaim VAT; and off-set if from income/corporate tax:
But then use it at the weekend for leisure use, does that by definition become a problem with HMRC; The van becomes a part non-commercial vehicle by use?

So if you have a kombi with a payload >1000kg; and reclaim VAT; and off-set if from income/corporate tax:
But then use it at the weekend for leisure use, does that by definition become a problem with HMRC; The van becomes a part non-commercial vehicle by use?

Using it for leisure is when 'Benefits-in-Kind' kicks in so yes, that's when HMRC would be interested.
For a van, it's only around £60/month - so not really an issue - for a car it's significantly more.

If it's business use only, it makes no difference what HMRC want to classify it as.

Just as a side issue, for people claiming business only, it's probably best to be careful what kind of pictures you post of your van on the internet - never know who's snooping.
Would hate to see anyone get in trouble.

Using it for leisure is when 'Benefits-in-Kind' kicks in so yes, that's when HMRC would be interested.
For a van, it's only around £60/month - so not really an issue - for a car it's significantly more.

If it's business use only, it makes no difference what HMRC want to classify it as.

This is where the new confusion is setting in from the court case. The vw's that coca cola had they claim were actually cars so should have been charged car rate BIK.

This would put the figure for a high spec one into the 1600+ per year area

The BIK covers the income/corporate tax v allowable business expense; But does it cover the VAT part of this issue?

Vat is completely separate. Totally different set of rules and pretty much black and white.
Does that mean if you have reclaimed VAT on a Kombi, there is no problem (VAT liability wise) using it for leisure at the weekends/holidays etc?

Does that mean if you have reclaimed VAT on a Kombi, there is no problem (VAT liability wise) using it for leisure at the weekends/holidays etc?
Vat liability ? Vat has nothing to do with the benefit in kind rates you pay to legally use your business vehicle for private use.

Back