Cleaning Up My Rear End

A couple more little changes to my rear end:

Changed the tow bar with less now on show below the bumper.

Removed the spare wheel and carrier.

I might remove the rear towing eye too, but not sure yet.

View attachment 74875
Looking nice. Where did you get your rear bumper protector and side bars from please?
Your car looks really shiny too! Was it just cleaned or has it been machine polished? Do you find it an easy colour to keep/look clean? Cheers!

Looking nice. Where did you get your rear bumper protector and side bars from please?
Your car looks really shiny too! Was it just cleaned or has it been machine polished? Do you find it an easy colour to keep/look clean? Cheers!
Hi, thanks. Bumper protector was on when I bought it, side bars are from van style. They do the bumper protector too.

Angled Trapezoid Sportline Style Gloss Black Sidebars - VW T5 T6 - Vanstyle

VW T6 T6.1 Tailgate 2015 ABS Bumper Protector - Vanstyle

It’s been machine polished and ceramic coated by a detailer. The colour shows dirt quite quickly, but the ceramic coating makes cleaning it easier.

Hi, thanks. Bumper protector was on when I bought it, side bars are from van style. They do the bumper protector too.

Angled Trapezoid Sportline Style Gloss Black Sidebars - VW T5 T6 - Vanstyle

VW T6 T6.1 Tailgate 2015 ABS Bumper Protector - Vanstyle

It’s been machine polished and ceramic coated by a detailer. The colour shows dirt quite quickly, but the ceramic coating makes cleaning it easier.
Nice. Is machine polishing expensive? I've heard that ceramic coating is.
Did you need to modify anything to fit those side bars or did they just fit as is? Mine will be a 6.1 so do you think that will make any difference as well? Is your protector carbon effect?

Nice. Is machine polishing expensive? I've heard that ceramic coating is.
Did you need to modify anything to fit those side bars or did they just fit as is? Mine will be a 6.1 so do you think that will make any difference as well? Is your protector carbon effect?
The plastic under trays need a little trim to fit the side bars, easy enough with a sharp Stanley knife or Dremel. It’s a very straightforward bolt on job.

My bumper protector is standard textured black and is very similar to standard vw grills etc. I didn’t want a carbon one because I have no other carbon on the van and I like things to match. Strictly speaking it should be gloss black because all my other plastics are, but I figured that would just get scratched too easily.

As for the detailing, I’ve linked you to a post of mine in another thread that discusses prices etc.

I don’t know what your experience was @ChrisR but I found the instructions for the cutouts on my sidebars to be wrong and OTT. I would recommend test fitting and measuring yourself instead of following the instructions. They only need the smallest of trims

I don’t know what your experience was @ChrisR but I found the instructions for the cutouts on my sidebars to be wrong and OTT. I would recommend test fitting and measuring yourself instead of following the instructions. They only need the smallest of trims
Much like you did bud, I just trimmed them to suit and ignored the instructions. The other thing that was missing from the instructions was guidance on which mounting bracket to fit where/which way round. It’s obvious which go to the back and front because the bolt positions are different, but did you find that depending which way round you fit the brackets it moves the bars back or forwards?

I fitted all brackets so that the bars were as far forward as they would go which gave me even spacing to the front and rear arch.

I think mine sit closer to the front than the back :oops:

not sure why they are short anyway, I was going to get straight ones as they were full length

No they are central

I saw someone got them the wrong way round before. I think it may be more of a problem with LWB, I thought that was clear from the shape of the brackets but don’t know, probably just lucky on that day

I’ve bought some tinting film too, might have a go at rear lights, brake light and reflectors, not sure yet though.
Spray tint is your friend, tried wrapping mine and the finish isn't good enough for OCD kinda people:geek:

Spray tint is your friend, tried wrapping mine and the finish isn't good enough for OCD kinda people:geek:
I thought about spray, but I’m not 100% sure I’m going to like the tint, so I’ll wrap them, see whether I like the look or not and if I do and the finish isn’t good enough, then I’ll spray them. :thumbsup:

Yeah I’ve got some film to wrap the reflectors too. I had a quick go at it. Now looking for a pro!
Just had two goes at putting tint wrap on the reflectors :oops: not an easy job, so going to find someone with a lot more experience than me as it needs to be good. Failing that it will be spray tint:)

Here you go, the 3rd brake light is the same tint level as the rear lights, just looks darker because of the angle?

20200626_205645.jpg

Are the main rear lights OEM VW tinted or have they been sprayed?
Bought them 2nd hand, I thought they were oem tinted but the previous owner had them wrapped professionally, that's what started off the rear tinting fetish :whistle: :rofl:

Back