Charging Leisure Battery at home?

T6ChrisO

AutoCAD engineer
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Hi all,

I have no understanding of battery charging etc so Im going to ask a potentially stupid question....... Is there a way I can charge my leisure battery at home? Reason I ask is that I hire my camper out and if people have stayed off grid, the battery always comes back really low. Now if my next customers also want to be off grid and dont plan on driving far, the battery wont be fully charged.

Hi all,

I have no understanding of battery charging etc so Im going to ask a potentially stupid question....... Is there a way I can charge my leisure battery at home? Reason I ask is that I hire my camper out and if people have stayed off grid, the battery always comes back really low. Now if my next customers also want to be off grid and dont plan on driving far, the battery wont be fully charged.
Absolutely. Just connect it to a smart charger, something like this MXS 5.0 UK

Comes with crocodile clips to attach to the battery or a plug that you can permanently fix to the battery and just plug the charger into.

Absolutely. Just connect it to a smart charger, something like this MXS 5.0 UK

Comes with crocodile clips to attach to the battery or a plug that you can permanently fix to the battery and just plug the charger into.
You're a star mate, thank you :)

Fair enough but offset the cost of knackered battery replacement and it works out much cheaper
Yeah its certainly in my plans for next year, just need to get some money in the business first

Hi all,

Does the van have EHU & a mains charger? If so, just plug it in at home. If not, that’s a gaping hole in your setup tbh.

Its does yes but Id need a commando socket on my wall I'd assume?
Nope, either buy an adapter or make up a short lead with a 13A plug on one end & a 16A blue socket on the other. An essential part of any EHU kit.

If like me the leisure battery isn't somewhere very accessible in my case under the passenger seat.

I didn't want to have to remove the seat every time I wanted to top up the leisure battery so I made up an extension cable by buying adapters that work with Victron battery chargers (the adapter (pigtail thing)) works with other brands as well.

I cut the male end of one of these and attached it to the battery by way of cable through the bulk head and behind the dash under the floor to the passenger seat base. That way I just pop the bonnet, plug my charger in and hey presto the leisure battery is charging.

Highly recommend making it as easy as possible if its a regular thing.

Good luck and if you want any more pictures/advise just ask.

If like me the leisure battery isn't somewhere very accessible in my case under the passenger seat.

I didn't want to have to remove the seat every time I wanted to top up the leisure battery so I made up an extension cable by buying adapters that work with Victron battery chargers (the adapter (pigtail thing)) works with other brands as well.

I cut the male end of one of these and attached it to the battery by way of cable through the bulk head and behind the dash under the floor to the passenger seat base. That way I just pop the bonnet, plug my charger in and hey presto the leisure battery is charging.

Highly recommend making it as easy as possible if its a regular thing.

Good luck and if you want any more pictures/advise just ask.
Thank you! Mine also isnt in the best place so I think my best option is going to be installing a commando outlet Or just buy the 3 pin plug adaptor that was kindly linked above

Back