battery isolator and solar power

slybacon67

T6 Pro
Hi have recently added solar charger and battery monitor system to my camper and even though their is a split charge relay between starter and leisure battery i was wondering if i should fit a mechanical isolator, my reasoning for this is
1/ not sure it would or could but i dont want to take chance on damage alternator with solor power, solor power does have regulator and dont see why it is any differant from mains hook up charging starter battery.
2/ if starter battery is totally disconnected all solar power would then go towards powering kit and charging leisure battery ,i can then reconnect for when i am traveling to get power from alternator or reconnect if i have suspicions on starter battery level.
should i just let the split charge relay do its job or would an isolator really be required or aid me with off grid power.
many thanks in advance

got some pics of your setup?

a split charge relay is not recomended for a Eu6 T6, a dc-dc charger is prefered.

lets see what you have now and go from there.

as always fuses are the most important thing.

It’s a split charge relay which I am not so sure about but guessing I don’t have a smart alternator. This was all fitted by a professional outfitters. My fear is that when I plug in solar chargers leisure battery is of low charge the charging voltage closes the relay and leisure battery then discharges starter battery before the two batteries eventually charge up.

What's your van spec?

Does it have stop/start?

Does it have adblue?

Professionals have been known to incorrectly fit scr/vsr instead of a dc-dc charger as it's cheaper.

So it should have a dc-dc charger to charge your LB.

More info.

And .....

looking at my engine its a duratic voltage sensitive relay that has been fitted by outfitters, i agree this is not ideal and i will be contacting them and letting them know , from what i have read it basically means my leisure battery is only getting charged for short periods of time. i will investigate further

So it should have a dc-dc charger to charge your LB.

More info.

from reading your article i conclude that i am safe at least ,its not ideal but i believe my system with portable plug and play solar charger should be safe, although my leisure battery will never get a great charge while driving. most of my camping is done on site with 240v hook up although i do plan a week off grid in france during july which is why i bought plug and play solar panel which is simply connected to leisure battery via controller.

So the Durite Split Charge Relay will (should if it's wired correctly) disconnect the Starter battery from the leisure battery when the engine is not running, so if you connect the solar charge controller to the leisure battery, it will top it up while there will be no risk to your alternator.
But as Dell says, a DC/DC charger is the best option for the T6. You can get them with solar input options so it will automatically make best use of the solar panel itself.

Back