Changing Bumpers- How Did You Deal With The D-pillar Panels?

Sabre

VIP Member
T6 Legend
Hi all. I'm still trying to work out how to move on my startline bumper colour change.
Easier option - go back to converter to colour code bumpers (smooth, prime, paint, bake)
Or
Buy a TL highline bumper, get it sprayed and fit myself with the advantage of being able to do the lights too. Obviously then having future options.
Now, for those that made the change how did you deal with the D-pillar panels? Did you hand them unprimed to your sprayer? Did they charge through the nose? Do them yourself? Did you sand and prime them them hand them off with the new bumpers to your sprayer?

Hi all. I'm still trying to work out how to move on my startline bumper colour change.
Easier option - go back to converter to colour code bumpers (smooth, prime, paint, bake)
Or
Buy a TL highline bumper, get it sprayed and fit myself with the advantage of being able to do the lights too. Obviously then having future options.
Now, for those that made the change how did you deal with the D-pillar panels? Did you hand them unprimed to your sprayer? Did they charge through the nose? Do them yourself? Did you sand and prime them them hand them off with the new bumpers to your sprayer?

I don’t think I’m really answering your question here but when I changed out my barn-doors for a tailgate I had to purchase the rear D-pillar panels and rear bumper. I bought both of them new (as second hand prices were nigh on the same as new yet all seemed to have some sort of damage) and they came primed. As I was living with the rear barn-door bumper for a while, I gave the D-pillars a spray with a Halfords rattle can in the interim... the colour match was crap. They had what I can only describe as a green tinge.
The sprayer redone them, along with the bumper, for £125.

Thanks @Ads_Essex
I'm just wondering how best to deal with these panels cos it means taking them off when getting everything else sprayed.... Just need a justification to get new bumpers really :rolleyes: Rather than taking the easier and cheaper way out of getting them painted.

Get new bumpers, even if there aftermarket ones from eurocarparts etc. that are smoothed and primed. Your painter will probably prime them again anyway, but the black bumpers will start to flake sooner or later and you will have to pay to have it all done again.

Thanks @zombie_T6 it'll be a PITA changing them over and getting the paint done but I think you're right in the long run...
Cheers.

OK. I officially hate everyone. I was going to be happy with my industrial looking Startline van, which wasnt going to get nicked over the lowered DSG with 19" alloys...!
However, I have just ordered a new front and rear bumper set... :eek:
:rofl:
Ill get the lights ordered once I have had the bumpers in and painted....

Is it ok to leave these off whilst they are being painted? I'm told they are not sealed so there shouldn't be any issue...

Hi all,
does anyone have a set of these D-pillar mouldings they don't want? I'm replacing my bumpers and they are not cheap.

Assuming you mean “Is it ok to use the van without these fitted?”
then yes.

Thanks @Ads_Essex , taking them off this morning to take to the sprayers...
Phase 2 bumper replacement under way.
Look out for questions about parking sensors next!

Thanks @Fish, I decided to just go for it and put them into the painters with the new bumpers.
IMG_20190316_100005.jpg
These guys are going to do what they can but I'm going to need to replace them at some point so will look out for a set over the next year. Any front-end write-offs will be fair game at the scrap yards. :)

Thanks @Fish, I decided to just go for it and put them into the painters with the new bumpers.
View attachment 39090
These guys are going to do what they can but I'm going to need to replace them at some point so will look out for a set over the next year. Any front-end write-offs will be fair game at the scrap yards. :)
Bang a hinge on one of them, whilst you’re at it, and plonk your hookup socket in there.

:grin bounce:
Picked up my new bumpers today, painted and ready to go. The d pillar panels are already on and look awesome.
Will need to fit next weekend. Good job I live alone, fitting the rear parking sensor mounts in the week, in the front room! :D

IMG_20190325_190551.jpg
This is what happens when you have no controller... The front room becomes the parking sensor fitting space! :D

Back