Colour coding Startline bumpers

mike

I've been asked a couple of times now what it takes and costs to turn this:

t6-new.jpg
into this:

IMG_20170224_155720846_HDR.jpg

First, there are two ways to do it: paint the existing one piece bumper or replace the whole lot with highline parts.
There is a third way, get VW to build it colour coded in the first place - Good luck with that.
I went for the second option, replace with highline parts.
Now all you have to do is convince the local VW parts department that you really do want to buy a load of bits that aren't fitted to your van. I had to drag them into the showroom and point out the differences between a startline and highline before they got it.
To be fair, once he got the idea he was quite enthusiastic and even offered a discount without being asked.

Rear:
Reflectors from the original rear bumper are re-used.
Note: I have a tailgate, parts are different for twin doors.
7E5 807 417 C GRU, bumper cover, £220.
7E0 807 322 D GRU, trim for D-pillar (right), £43.
7E0 807 321 D GRU, trim for D-pillar (left), £42.

I have rear parking sensors, fitting these involves drilling four quite large holes in the nice shiny new bumper and bonding on the mounts removed from the old bumper.

Front:
The only parts that can be re-used from the original front bumper are the fog-light trims, everything else is junk.
Note: Some parts are different if front parking sensors or ACC are fitted.
7E5 807 221 C GRU, bumper cover, £235.
7E5 807 241 GRU, cover for towing eye, £8.
7E5 853 651 C 041, radiator grill, £188.
7E5 853 683 9B9, vent grill (left), £26.
7E5 853 684 9B9, vent grill (right), £26.
7E5 853 678 A 9B9, vent grill (center), £36.
7E5 853 065 9B9, coverstrip (left), £6.
7E5 853 066 9B9, coverstrip (right), £6.
7E5 853 761 9B9, coverstrip (center), £40.

I don't do shiny chrome so went for the standard grill, rather than the caravelle one, and managed to pick up a good second hand one from someone who likes his bling. It's also worth asking around to find someone who has replaced the lower grill trim strip, £40 for that center section is outrageous.

Painting cost £450.
So altogether about £1200 with the VAT, but I think the result was worth it.

Disclaimer: These are the parts used to convert my van, yours is almost certainly different. eg the D-pillar trims were changed on the actual build date of my van. Please don't rely on the part numbers given there is a good chance I've mistyped.

That does look a hell of a lot better Mike but in all fairness is quite pricey to do i think

2 questions.....

1- Don't you think the spec of the highline is worth the £4.5k over the startline then ? and the difference would be a lot less with good discount

2- Couldn't you just remove the bumpers and paint them ? They look very similar apart from the paintwork ? Careful masking around the plastic pieces you want to keep black etc

Just my 10 bobs worth Mike :thumbsup:

I do believe that the startline bumper is a single moulded piece that includes the grill, whereas the trendline and highline aren't.

It does seem an expensive way to do it - however if you don't want to spend the extra on a highline, then is probably an efficient way of getting much sleeker bumpers. £1.2k, v's £4.5k, horses for courses I guess.

Reactions: Bub
You are correct Davey, they are a one piece bumper on the Startline but the mould looks pretty much the same

Thats why i suggested masking of those areas and colour coding the rest... Just a thought thats all :)

It wasn't that I didn't want a Highline, I ended up adding most of the Highline spec options to a Startline base vehicle anyway.
I just wanted Summer Blue and the only way VW will build it that colour is as a Startline. I don't know why and neither do the dealers.
I did get a feeble excuse from one about "colour not matching" but they couldn't explain why the same colour looks fine on a Polo.

Adding colour coded bumpers to a Startline is a £600 option which makes the £1.2k a little easier to justify.

And don't forget the endless hours of extra 'fun' you get with the Configurator if you select a Startline :) So many more decisions to make....

I did consider masking and painting the original bumpers. But they are a textured finish and while you can de-texture, it does push the paint costs up a bit.

Yes, maybe I could have saved a bit by painting the original bumpers but it wouldn't have been quite right.
Having just spent 30K+ on buying it, one more isn't too bad (or so I keep telling myself.)

It was just the way I got the van that VW wouldn't build for me. I wanted a Summer Blue Highline and I was going to get one, despite VW...

Last edited:
Totally get it, great colour, and if that is what you want there is always a work around to make sure you can get what you want. Like you say, total VW nonsense as to why you can get that colour in one model but not another.

Being a painter myself I will always recommend painting only smooth primed Bumpers.
Textured bumpers personally are an absolute pain in the ass to paint. So much work involved and it never sticks long term. Might look goof for a year or so but the primer sinks and reveals the texture and or peels even with the proper use of plastic primers and etc.

I usually buy pre primed smooth Bumpers and respray that way. Far less prep work involved too.

use raptor paint if you want the swamper look - its hard wearing, textured anyway and tough as nails.

Being a painter myself I will always recommend painting only smooth primed Bumpers.
Textured bumpers personally are an absolute pain in the ass to paint. So much work involved and it never sticks long term. Might look goof for a year or so but the primer sinks and reveals the texture and or peels even with the proper use of plastic primers and etc.

I usually buy pre primed smooth Bumpers and respray that way. Far less prep work involved too.
purchased my t6 without doing my research… looked impeccable in showroom (second hand) drove it home from Birmingham and the paint had cracked close to number plate, it annoyed me so had it resprayed and now less than a year later it’s peeling and cracking again. My advice avoid spraying the start line bumpers

Makes perfect sense - I was considering a shuttle with commercial bumpers and then buying Highline bumpers.
Was lucky that a Highline Kombi appeared in budget and search radius so went with that in the end.

Back