Cat S T6.1 - Does this look bad?

Gunship

I'm looking at T6s for a camper conversion at the moment and this pops up right around the corner from me. Never considered anything that's been a previous total loss, but it has all the extras I would like and falls into my price range (just) so it has peaked my interest. I've managed to get hold of the images showing the damage and repair that have resulted in it's Cat S state, but to be honest have no idea if what I'm looking at is good news or bad news, so I thought I would gather some opinion from the people of this fine forum. Here we go:

WhatsApp Image 2023-09-15 at 19.22.12.jpg

WhatsApp Image 2023-09-15 at 19.22.13.jpg

WhatsApp Image 2023-09-15 at 19.22.14.jpg

WhatsApp Image 2023-09-15 at 19.22.15.jpg

I think once repaired you would never know - Repair looks quality - And that's relatively easy where its hit - All replaceable parts - Floor is intact

How cheap is it?
Thanks very much. It's up for just above £26k. I'd guess it would normally be up for around the £32k mark, so around 20% down on price. (102ps T6.1 T32, 50k on the clock).

Should I be worried about the exhaust? It will have taken a whack forwards and I'm wondering if that could have resulted in some damage further forward.

Thanks very much. It's up for just above £26k. I'd guess it would normally be up for around the £32k mark, so around 20% down on price. (102ps T6.1 T32, 50k on the clock).

Should I be worried about the exhaust? It will have taken a whack forwards and I'm wondering if that could have resulted in some damage further forward.
You should be looking for a 25% reduction in price compared to a van that isn't on the write-off register. If you think it would otherwise be £32k, then you should be looking to pay around £24k IMO.

Cat motors are usually worth around 2/3 of retail once repaired but after Covid the prices have been all over the place I would be definitely viewing that before parting with your hard earned make sure you are 100% happy with repairs as it has sustained structural damage (cat s)
I would also check with insurance as some company won’t cover a previous total loss

Pretty sure that PV will have the ‘shorty’ exhaust that ends in front of the rear axle, so it should be well out of the way. Worth a quick look underneath.

Impact can cause damage away from the obvious collision area, in addition I would be checking mounts in the engine bay and under the van.

I would check insurance implications first, and bear in mind that in the future if you sell it, as a cat S it may be harder to sell, and for a lower price than otherwise, so the initial savings diminish. VW's paintwork warranty (for what its worth.. ) would be void.

Seems very overpriced to me , resale will be greatly affected and as others have said insurance and VW warranty will be greatly affected too

That’s nothing compared to what Matt Armstrong does!
However, I agree it seems expensive for a basic powered PV with that age/ mileage

Back