Carista - How I Done It -

Looking for some Carista help please anyone!! I’ve got the dreaded engine mgmt light…

So it’s plugged in and paired, and I’ve changed the Beep on lock setting. So it’s definitely connected…but against “engine” it’s says “cannot connect”. Has anyone had this? Can’t find anything on line for this.

Looking for some Carista help please anyone!! I’ve got the dreaded engine mgmt light…

So it’s plugged in and paired, and I’ve changed the Beep on lock setting. So it’s definitely connected…but against “engine” it’s says “cannot connect”. Has anyone had this? Can’t find anything on line for this.
what year and spec van?

I bought one ages ago and used the free trial to adjust some setting (dial sweep etc).
Can I now subscribe and use the original dongle or do I have to buy another plus a subscription?

I bought one ages ago and used the free trial to adjust some setting (dial sweep etc).
Can I now subscribe and use the original dongle or do I have to buy another plus a subscription?
just subscribe with the same hardware.

Any idea why the carista has a permanent live feed? I thought the ignition needed to be on to run any diagnostics or change any settings anyway?

Any idea why the carista has a permanent live feed? I thought the ignition needed to be on to run any diagnostics or change any settings anyway?
The obd2 port has a perm battery feed.

But the BCM Carista talks too is ign powered.

So you need to remove the dongle when not in use to stop battery drain.

Thanks Dell. In that, would the Carista module actually need to be resoldered/rewired? If you just cut the pin off wouldn't it work OK anyway?

Also, separate but vaguely linked Q. Do I need a Carista subscription to be able to keep an eye on particulate build up?

@benp1 you can check the particulate build up without subscription - I use the beta version of Carista (free to download) to see this - not sure if it can be checked in the ‘normal’ version.

if you cut the pin only it wont work.

but some ppl had made a modification where they have cut the pin and soldered a wire to pickup a IGN feed.

that way it can be left connected permanently.

this link shows you how to mod Carista so it only powers up when ignition on.

this link shows you how to mod Carista so it only powers up when ignition on.

Just be aware that ignition live on pin 1 is a VW group proprietary extension to OBD2 standard connector pinout. Meaning the Carista dongle might not work in other brand vehicles any more after the mod - for me that wasn't a deal breaker.

[1] OBD2 standard pinout OBD II Connector Pinout
[2] VW diagnostic port pinout Volkswagen OBD II diagnostic connector pinout diagram @ pinoutguide.com

Gents........I have the Carista (currently not subscribing) but I was wondering if it can be used on my wife's mini as well......presumably with a new subscription? Also, back to VW........is it wise to force a regen? What are the do's and don'ts?
Thanks guys
Dave :thumbsup:

Back