Adding Rear Speakers to OEM Headunit and enabling Fade

It definitely should be a single bit tick. However, it's not beyond the realms of possibility that the coder pasted in a longer chunk of hex that they thought worked which inadvertently changed another setting. I've seen this before on this forum, people recommend a long code for stuff like dipped headlights because that's what they happen to have when in reality it's a single bit change and changing more than that can have unexpected results.

I'm not saying this is what happened in this case, just that we should at least be in a position to discount the possibility given the change in audio did appear to happen straight after the coding, which is rather a coincidence!
I wonder if the amplifier option has been ticked?

@Wors did he backup or give you a copy of the before and after scan/coding ?

I wonder if the amplifier option has been ticked?

Exactly, if there's an option for that which would switch the rear output to low-level then that would probably result in the symptoms described.

Is there an option to swith the rear channel tot amp mode? That sounds reasonable.

I don’t have a back up. :-(

Is there an option to swith the rear channel tot amp mode? That sounds reasonable.

I would either:

a) Speak to the coder and clarify whether he definitely made only a single bit change only for the fader. Try and determine whether he could have inadvertently (or intentionally if he somehow thought you had an amp) changed the rear outputs to low-level. If he can't confirm he made a simple one bit change only, and goes one about long-coding and hexadecimal codes, there's a chance he's changed more than intended!
b) Try and find a friendly VCDS-toting forum member who would be kind enough to take a look for you.

not specifically, there is just a tick for amplifier installed.

We found ticking the amp setting made no difference to volume in the Past, it may only flatten the built in EQ to send a cleaner signal to the amp which is then EQ’d to make it sound better .

just coding for fader is a one tick box, and does not affect the sound.

Thanks for the information. I have an appointment next week for an other job and I will ask him to show what he has done and if it is possible to undo the change and than check the sound quality again. I will keep you updated. The information is very usefull.

We found ticking the amp setting made no difference to volume in the Past, it may only flatten the built in EQ to send a cleaner signal to the amp which is then EQ’d to make it sound better .
I have checked the EQ and it is still noticeable when I change the settings.

I don’t know if anyone has said this, but have you checked your wiring? At the back of the head unit and into the rears?

The sound you describe reminds me of the sound of an audio jack not fully plugged in.

Perhaps a little disappointing, but no cause has been found. Undoing the changes and programming the fader again did help. Thanks for the support.

Reactions: mmi
No part number as VW don’t sell them anymore
Just search JPT or junior power timer and you should find some

Hello Deaky, great help on the ceiling LED lights.

I have installed 2 rear speakers and used the retro loom but the head unit has no fader.

Any advice would be greatly received

I have installed 2 rear speakers and used the retro loom but the head unit has no fader.

It will need coding via VCDS or Odis

Yup. Very easy with VCDS. Two minute job. Worth it to not have to listen to Encanto on loop.

Yup. Very easy with VCDS. Two minute job. Worth it to not have to listen to Encanto on loop.
We Don't talk about Bruno!!! My garage ticked the 6 speaker 4 channel option for me but nothing changed regarding fader. I have an amp connected. Is there anything else I could try. It would be really helpfully for a screen shot of the settings. Any help greatly received. #Waiting for a miracle.

We Don't talk about Bruno!!! My garage ticked the 6 speaker 4 channel option for me but nothing changed regarding fader. I have an amp connected. Is there anything else I could try. It would be really helpfully for a screen shot of the settings. Any help greatly received. #Waiting for a miracle.
How recent? May require a day or a restart of the stereo system?

Also, how have they wired in the speakers? Some converters (idiots) piggyback the door speakers rather than wiring directly into the available channels at the back of the head unit. It’s annoying but not very difficult to pull the head unit out to check.

Back