T6.1 towing electrics guide pf jones

Shiggi10

Hi

I searched as best I could before posting this but couldn’t quite find the help I needed so thought I would jot down what I found and how it went to benefit others and hope on some help on the last bit.

This is for vans with no trailer prep- I don’t understand (other than tiny cost and weight) why this is not std from VW, it is on other OEMs
Summary- unless you are happy to lose your knuckle skin and spending a Sat am swearing then pay someone! Otherwise, if you are a saddo like me the following might be useful to you!

Top tips

You cannot repin the CAN loop to the towbar module with the BCM in place

Moving the fusebox doesn’t seem an option

I found a few clues saying to remove the cluster and pull the BCM ABC connectors into that void

The headlight switch is a genius- you need to remove to allow the lower panel to come off- push it in as you turn clockwise from off- it will push in and as it revolves it retracts securing pins! Clever!

Be brave with the cluster surround removal- it makes horrible noises as it de-clips but it will come off- use pic below to see where they are. No need to remove headunit or vents

The cluster removal initially stumped me- the trick is to lift it towards you at the bottom (so its at an angle) then pull on the upper clips.

Then be prepared for contortion- feed the BCMs connectors up into the void left by the cluster and depin/ repopulate them as per instructions

Make sure you don’t create a loop in the new circuits to prevent pushing the BCM connectors back

Then reassembly is, as per haynes, reverse of disassembly.

All with battery off!

When I got half way through this last time I was plagued by ACC and feont assist lights but they cleared.

The snag I have now is the trailer wiring all works and the trailer tell tale works too. The issue is, despite several ignition resets, a front assist/ lane assist warning persists. I am hoping this is because I have not used VCDS / other to configure it to be aware of the trailer module. Fingers crossed on that one but I suspect it has some fickle software that still won’t like this conversion- any help / re-assurance on the latter appreciated!

868812DF-5438-4F97-866A-4E9C985B38CF.jpeg

96CB2A77-1D70-4DBA-8C59-EE80FE6AE019.jpeg

376C1C8C-C664-460E-A2C5-3DC75662F07A.jpeg

A3C45AE7-07AB-432F-A670-460F8A83D115.jpeg

3D530EC3-F2D5-47C4-876F-5C267534E3E8.jpeg

Reactions: CAB
Update- used a mates VCDS today to make various ADAS systems aware of the towing module in CAN- very easy and all faults cleared

Hope this thread proves useful to someone out there!

It has indeed proven useful cheers.

Looked for ages for the BCM connectors. The instructions that came with mine suggested they were in the footwell….

Initial tow bar prep point very much agreed with…

Also, (I’m sharing this into the ether as the dogs not too fussed) ‘orange and green’ (pin 46) is just green.

The OP images show the same, so I’ve elected to go brave and assume that in the same vein as the penny pinching of not making this job much simpler, green alone is cheaper, but there hasn’t been a rework that’ll bugger the whole job…

Update. Back together now.

As well as an airbag light and a parking brake warning (that both came on with a half dead battery and attempted start - totally unrelated) I have the same two lane assist and front sensor warnings.

VAGCom will hopefully sort tomorrow as per OP.

Back