Camper King

Personally I would take anything that a company writes about itself with a very large pinch of salt. They are hardly going to say “we are not all that” are they. So their words mean nothing, it is unrestricted customer reviews that tell you everything you need to know; not those carefully vetted ones that make it through to their website, but completely unassociated forums such as this.

Personally I would take anything that a company writes about itself with a very large pinch of salt. They are hardly going to say “we are not all that” are they. So their words mean nothing, it is unrestricted customer reviews that tell you everything you need to know; not those carefully vetted ones that make it through to their website, but completely unassociated forums such as this.

I agree with the customer reviews, and everything I have read elsewhere (Google search etc) is positive (Apart from the insulation part on here!)
but the 'Testing the product' statement came from their website (about us) pages, if they don't actually do any of this then surely this is false advertising, and would make them liable to prosecution for false claims?

Forgot to mention the other day that California's aren't insulated either.

Just read that too !!
lots of conflicting views on other forums as to whether insulating is good or bad (trapping water in the walls with insulation) this I believe is why VW don't insulate the Cali?

For me, if I was looking to spend that amount of money with someone, I'd be concerned with anything less than perfect. I'd be looking to speak with owners with a years usage under their wheels, and soaking up any real world feedback.

The claim on the website simply reiterates that one van owner (probably the founder) had a few holidays in the cold and hot one year before taking it commercial. That's neither dishonest nor misleading, and goes on to suggest that's what drives them.

If you're in doubt, go to somewhere else. It's not as if they do anything unique, after all.

It's very true that they have their story well worked out.

Insulation, or no insulation, the one I inspected was low quality in terms of the standard of work.

I visited Camper King and spent about three hours there, they were charming and enthusiastic about their product, I don’t recall his name but he was one of the two top men spent time with me answering questions. They opened up several vans for me to look around leaving me to it, and under supervision showed me around a van that was in for service. Not sure I would say low quality workmanship, seems on par with plenty of others I looked at, no one can say they hide what they do look at the build in a weekend videos from carfest on you tube the entire process is there to see.
I was set on an Autohaus conversion until I saw one in the flesh in Shrewsbury at which point I was disappointed and Camper King went back to the top of my list.
However I was in Shrewsbury and a chance google led me to Rolling Homes, where I turned up unannounced only to be shown around several finished products and half a dozen part conversions.
You pay your money and takes your choice, would I have been happy with CK or Autohaus?
Without a doubt and both would be better than anything I could have built and both look sharper than my van.
It’s down to budget and personal choice at the end of the day.

I looked at all of the usual suspects and then ended up with a redline. The boss sourced a van specially for me as he didn't have anything in red to meet my needs. I also found out that redline hired all the guys who used to build fairline boats when it went bust. Craftsmanship.
So, I have since found that the insulation isnt great but I spoke to them and worked with them to improve it so i'm getting a new set of insulated panels foc and im upgrading my insulation myself, courtesy of @ROMANY TAMPIN . However, the workmanship so far is really good. No complaints on that score, at all.
If you go there ask for mark, he's the boss, and let him know I suggested a chat. Tell him your concerns and you'll get something better than you would have.
He really picked the right van for me, the rest was fairly standard as I didn't really know what I was looking for but the quality is excellent given that I wasn't expecting a three bridges level conversion ( min £50k excl van! )
And those ex boat builders know what they're doing.

As @Trunkey says, it's about what fits you at the time, you pays your money you takes your chance. Building yourself is the only way to make it better, or go and see Three Bridges... I nearly creamed when I saw those but couldn't justify it and didn't want to source the van myself. Wanted someone to shout at if it was bad. Can't do that from eBay.

trapping water in the walls with insulation)

I was up at Redline a week ago and this is one thing Mark is almost scared of... He's now insulating the panels as the foam he was using holds moisture. That means mould and a potential return. It's a business. He is actually trying to get it right against a cost. They all are in different ways.

Just reading through this thread on the van insulation.
My van which I converted my self, I didn’t put in any insulation only sound deadening and a Eberspacher.
When winter camping in freezing conditions and the front windows open by about 20 mm, it’s spot on! No condensation and toasty warm and the heater backs off to just a trickle over night.
And yes that’s correct the £60+k California does not have insulation either!

Hi, I've been lurking and learning for a while, but thought I'd finally contribute as I have 1st hand experience...

I bought from CamperKings a converted T30 150 Highline LWB in Sept18. I don't have the time to do do a full self install and opted for a route that got me a suitable van quickly and with some degree of warranty if something goes tits up. I did a fair amount of research and looked at quite a few conversions - but for me I could not separate many of the converters I looked at for the same sort of money (looked at likes of Danbury, Bilbo's, few localish guys) so it came down to design and what I thought would suit my use best and they just landed in front.

So far I've been really happy with the van and have used it on about 10 weekend trips since Sept and have had no issues - its even warm on a cold night with the heater ticking over! One bug bear was the cheapo Chinese tyres fitted to the 20" rims - 2 are not actually round so its like having your balancing permanently out; local fitter managed to get them much better with a not insubstantial lead contribution, but I'll swap out soon for some proper rubber when I can; but I had other things to do first - my priority after driving it (slowly!) through he dark winter was to save up so I could swap out the shite VW H4's for a set of OEM H7 units with uprated bulbs; did this a few weeks back and the difference is well worth the ££ and not difficult effort to change them (bought the H7's on eBay). I've then gone on to add side bars, put in the VanKraft dual passenger seat folding bracket (well worth it if only because Mrs C is more comfortable on a journey).

Now counting pennies to buy B14's and H&R ARB's and a solar kit.

I won't recommend these guys or not as I've only directly experienced them so have no context and any feedback I have is only based on my van; it may be different if you get a 'Friday' conversion! All I can say is that I'm not unhappy with the investment I made and nothing is poorly finished or falling apart yet after regular use; but like anything the choice, once made and committed to is what you have to live with so do your research.

Hi, I've been lurking and learning for a while, but thought I'd finally contribute as I have 1st hand experience...

I bought from CamperKings a converted T30 150 Highline LWB in Sept18. I don't have the time to do do a full self install and opted for a route that got me a suitable van quickly and with some degree of warranty if something goes tits up. I did a fair amount of research and looked at quite a few conversions - but for me I could not separate many of the converters I looked at for the same sort of money (looked at likes of Danbury, Bilbo's, few localish guys) so it came down to design and what I thought would suit my use best and they just landed in front.

So far I've been really happy with the van and have used it on about 10 weekend trips since Sept and have had no issues - its even warm on a cold night with the heater ticking over! One bug bear was the cheapo Chinese tyres fitted to the 20" rims - 2 are not actually round so its like having your balancing permanently out; local fitter managed to get them much better with a not insubstantial lead contribution, but I'll swap out soon for some proper rubber when I can; but I had other things to do first - my priority after driving it (slowly!) through he dark winter was to save up so I could swap out the shite VW H4's for a set of OEM H7 units with uprated bulbs; did this a few weeks back and the difference is well worth the ££ and not difficult effort to change them (bought the H7's on eBay). I've then gone on to add side bars, put in the VanKraft dual passenger seat folding bracket (well worth it if only because Mrs C is more comfortable on a journey).

Now counting pennies to buy B14's and H&R ARB's and a solar kit.

I won't recommend these guys or not as I've only directly experienced them so have no context and any feedback I have is only based on my van; it may be different if you get a 'Friday' conversion! All I can say is that I'm not unhappy with the investment I made and nothing is poorly finished or falling apart yet after regular use; but like anything the choice, once made and committed to is what you have to live with so do your research.

Thanks for the reassurance @Crooky. I too have looked at various conversions and the KC one is the one I preferred. If I’m honest, my heart sank when I read some of the comments as I’m about to sink £££££’s into a way of life and was worried about making a huge mistake.

All these comments are based on individual experience @RichDavies82 so take it in the way it's meant. Whatever works for you is good for you. However, wherever you get the van try to make sure they know what condition the base vehicle is in. My converter bought one van that wasn't right for me so I rejected it, but he bought it anyway for a factory build, but found out later the van was a complete dog. They sent it back to the VW dealer.

I was lucky with this, I dodged a bullet. My van is good so far but had I accepted that first one (barn doors rather than my spec'd tailgate), this wouldn't have been the converters fault aside from them not checking the van over fully and properly. That means it's your problem. Experience from all these guys will just make you question a lot more than you would have had you not asked, and will make the experience so much better down the road... Literally.

I’ve just come across this thread and thought I’d add my tuppence worth.

We’ve just bought a T6 that had most of the conversion work done by Camper King and there’s certainly no sign of poor quality or bad workmanship in ours. We absolutely love it. We did look at others and are more than happy with our choice.

Looking to purchase a VW T6 camper from Camper King. Any thoughts on quality and service

I have had one of their conversions for 5 years and would strongly recommend you steer well clear of them. Build quality was very poor. 20 plus snags to start with. Electrics installed were appalling. Still replacing stuff now. Customer service when I went back was very poor. Basically tried to blame me for their shit quality and workmanship. I'd never go bac .

Forgot to mention the other day that California's aren't insulated either.
I was just about to say that calis are not insulated and you would think vw know best .
Also all side windows are single glazed not to mention canvas on poptop
Camper king use insulated carpeting and with snow on ground my erberspacher just cuts in and out occasionally at night .
IMO an airgap in doors is better than damp condensated insulation causing rot later on

Get ready for your diesel heater running on full all night in the winter to maintain a reasonable temp rather than backing right off as it should :)
Rubbish !! In snow my diesel heater rarely cuts in at night !
You lose more than anything through poptop and single glazed side windows
Why do you think California’s are not insulated.

I thought Cali’s had double-glazed rear and side windows?

Back