Cali conversions - what did you use for a 'multiflex board' to make the seat into a bed? And toppers

Skyliner33

VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Legend
As the title suggests, Im looking for ideas from people who have done a California conversion.

Specifically what you used in place of a "multiflex board" (are Cali ones called this?) to use to convert the Cali bench seat into a bed. If you bought one, where from as I cant seem to find any online?

Also when you had done this what mattress topper did you get?

Links and pics would be appreciated.

Thanks

@bobbybasic

Great idea for a thread @Skyliner33

There’re some ideas dotted around this forum and the internet, but this part of the cali-bed solution is definitely the trickiest to solve.

I’ve done a fair bit of research into this, I’ll pull everything together and add it here soon.

My California seat was fitted by Exploria, and they provided the bed shelf and upholstery as well. I use a 5cm Duvallay topper as well.
7FB6F0AD-C5C8-42E5-B742-517BB1C1D084.jpeg

C98BF0E3-AA8B-439D-812A-D480FA5650BF.jpeg

@Skyliner33 - I have a Cali Beach. Let me know if you want any pics or measurements of my “multi-flex”. Remember, mine will be a full-width multi-flex as it is a Beach

@Skyliner33 - I have a Cali Beach. Let me know if you want any pics or measurements of my “multi-flex”. Remember, mine will be a full-width multi-flex as it is a Beach
Thanks for the offer @JOG. I will do but its more the twin seat bed I will need. :thumbsup:

Reactions: JOG
I have a 6.1 Coast. This has a board on a ratchet system. My OH knew I'd want to buy one as soon as I saw the "lounge" position.

Thanks. Did you find that today? I can’t remember those turning up in my searches. Wonder if they would install my rails and sell me a ply floor. I need to phone them tomorrow.
Hi Jon
I routered a multi flex board I work and bought the rail brackets from forum member but a readily available on eBay

Hi Jon
I routered a multi flex board I work and bought the rail brackets from forum member but a readily available on eBay
Hi, unfortunately I don’t have the skill to router a board. Well, not to a decent standard. Most of the stuff I see on eBay is for Caravelle seat which is taller?
Any more info?

Hi, unfortunately I don’t have the skill to router a board. Well, not to a decent standard. Most of the stuff I see on eBay is for Caravelle seat which is taller?
Any more info?
I will ask my CNC programmer to see if you can find a drawing or I can get him to do a Caravelle board and then you cut it to the required with. The one he did for my Caravelle was a good fit. It was about and inch from the side and tailgate, leaving enough room to carpet but not loose your pillows ha ha

I will ask my CNC programmer to see if you can find a drawing or I can get him to do a Caravelle board and then you cut it to the required with. The one he did for my Caravelle was a good fit. It was about and inch from the side and tailgate, leaving enough room to carpet but not loose your pillows ha ha
Thanks, I’m not sure where I would find a drawing, will have a search. I don’t think a velle board cut down would work against the Cali seat.
Mine is slightly different than the one in @Shaun Witts pictures, but i think the profile is very similar.

Thanks, I’m not sure where I would find a drawing, will have a search. I don’t think a velle board cut down would work against the Cali seat.
Mine is slightly different than the one in @Shaun Witts pictures, but i think the profile is very similar.
I used to have. T6 cali, how does yours differ the the standard cali seat. As I remember all the plastic trims are all the same so it would only be a matter of trimming widths and possibly depth and they would only be straight cut

I used to have. T6 cali, how does yours differ the the standard cali seat. As I remember all the plastic trims are all the same so it would only be a matter of trimming widths and possibly depth and they would only be straight cut
Mine is a standard Cali seat but the back is different To the one above. The head rests fold down out of the way For example.

Here's the info I've gathered on Cali bed conversions focussing on the rear bed extension. Some of this I have posted before, some from other users. The aim is to have everything in one logical place. I will add to this post as/when I remember:

Conversion companies offering the Cali bed option

Ecowagon - Campervan Conversions South West | VW Cornwall | T6 campervans UK
New Wave Custom Conversions - https://www.newwavecustomconversions.co.uk
Mal-VW - VW T6 T6.1 transporter sales, campervan conversion south west
Scenic Campers - Scenic Campers
VW Worx - Long Wheel Base Luxury

Aftermarket Bed Extensions

Maxx Camp (RHD version available on request) - Bed Extension | Accessories | Shop | MAXXCAMP
Squergo - Lattenrost-Heckablage VW California T5/T6 - für Untenschläfer - squERGO

Smart Ideas, Hacks & Mods

Flexible Bed Extension - Projekt: flexible Bettverlängerung
Ecowagon's Flexible Bed Extension -
6.1 Extension Raised Bracket - Bettverlängerung erhöhen, T6.1 Ocean und Coast
Removable Extension -

eBay Listings

Original VW T5 T6 California bettplate Bed Extension 7E7067133 7E7067101 | eBay

Reference videos & images

6.1 Style -
NWCC Van Tour -
Ecowagon Van Tour 1 -
Ecowagon Van Tour 2 -

vw-conversion-van.jpg

45264057104_8aec3b4a32_c.jpg

VW-Coast-slide-9.jpg

Exploria.jpg

Mal VW.jpg

NWCC.jpg

Last edited:
Mattress & Comfort

The 6.1 bed extension board sits below the level of the bed, so a thin mattress (5-7?) is used to bring it level with the seat. Or a topper with a thicker section for the extension.
In this thread, Motor Psycho (which is a great username) has made a bracket to raise the extension to bring it level with the seat, gaining storage space but sacrificing 7cm of comfort.
Bettverlängerung erhöhen, T6.1 Ocean und Coast (If you can't read German then Chrome is the best browser for translation IMO)

1A119727-1EA0-434E-98B2-88C6A1CA0D63.jpg

3EBCF000-2EDB-41D8-A06A-4829EDB066D9.jpg

2068564F-B816-47C7-8304-4BF1A05A0C6D.jpg

DSC02926.jpg

DSC02931.jpg

DSC02933.jpg

IMG_0448.PNG

IMG_0449.PNG

IMG_0450.PNG

IMG_0451.PNG

IMG_0452.PNG

IMG_0453.PNG