Cadac Cookers - which model?

I have a Cadac Safari Chef 30 which is taller but seems to be otherwise quite similar in function except that it uses a 500 G gas cylinder (I think you can add a double regulator for the same cylinder or a triple 227 G pack but I don't bother and have never researched it any further). It's alright but I would prefer to cook on charcoal however that's often not allowed so gas is the next best. In terms of gas consumtion, I reckon you would be OK as the 500 G cylinder seems to last me a long time and on the basis that the 227 G is not a long way from half that....

We have the safari chef 2 and love it. It’s compact and easily fits back into its little carry bag to be stowed in the van or carried to the beach. We use the 500g gas cylinders which are cheap (£25 for 6 from go outdoors) and one cylinder lasted a whole 15 day Scotland trip doing breakfasts and evening bbqs.
It can be placed on a table if you want to cook at a comfortable height.
Downside is it’s quite small so only really good for 2 people I’d say.98E4B70A-F271-4BA1-9B02-4EE7A5255677.jpeg68B02660-BF53-4AD9-BDC3-4C995F98B0F3.jpegC976CEF0-0CC9-4700-AE2B-B1A1D42F1592.jpeg

Todays cook up...

The Jetboil is great..... For two large coffe cups, but when you need to make 4-8 cups of tea the kettle had to come out.

So we first boiled up a full kettle on the pot rings on the CADAC. While doing toast on the flat plate.

Then swapped the pot ring for the grill plate.

Now we have tea and coffee all round with a full complement of bacon and sausage sandwiches to boot.

I'm happy with that.
:mexican wave:

20220604_101919.jpg20220604_101906.jpg20220604_101837.jpg

After denying the existence of gas as a fuel for any BBQ all my life, I'm now coming to the conclusion that for European travel it might be the only way to go on the basis that you can't use charcoal (AKA real man fuel) on most continental campsites. On that basis and with Cadac seeming to be the go to option, has anybody got experience of the Cadac Safari Chef Compact 30? I like the idea of the 227 g cylinders but do wonder how long one would last whilst cooking up a few chops etc.
This is the one: Safari Chef 30 Compact
There's a video on there as well.
Just joined the Cadac Gang and bought one of the above! The RRP is £140 but I did a bit of googling and found it for sale in various places for £100, £115 and £125 whereas my local camping store (Attwools, Whitminster) were asking £135 - after a bit of discussion, they agreed to £115 and also knocked 10% from the cost of a lid for the pan. All in all, I was quite happy to pay that as we're away from Monday and I probably couldn't have got one delivered in time anyway.

Further to my previous post above, I christened the new Cadac last night by cooking a couple of pork chops in a lemon and thyme marinade (SWMBO prepped them). I think I still prefer cooking over a real barbie but you can't deny the sheer convenience of lighting the thing and being able to cook just a few minutes later (especially in a situation where charcoal's not allowed) - the chops were absolutely delicious though so I might be on the slippery slope. That said, I'm glad the Mrs did the washing up.
20220611_194214.jpg

We have the safari chef 2, but the burner/ignition setup is a poor design with a plastic ring used to insulate the burner from the chassis, a bit of a weak point.
so yesterday we bought the new Carri chef 50 (new name for the 2) being larger and up off the ground and is a better design and better built.
we also have a jet boil and a jet boil Helios for boiling rice fast etc.

Just weighing in to say that we started with a Cadac carri chef which I used for over 10yrs before it died and then got the Carri chef 2, which we've also had for a few years now.
Outstanding piece of kit, really versatile I use it all year round in the garden to cook sausages, bacon, fish, chicken etc and make stocks. Then it's loaded up and is taken camping (inc trips over to France). I have 2 regulators/hoses, one for Propane (patio gas) and one for Butane (Camping gaz) and take the size appropriate gas bottle for length of stay.

The 2 cook 2 pro is now £89 at go outdoors.

The question I have is will this hotplate run OK with the single cadac regulator - no plans for additional appliances?

We’re used to a single halfords burner and the gas seems to last quite well albeit suffers from slow vapourisation when its cold. We can get a jacket for the C500 canisters!

Well the good news is my addiction to awnings seems to be under control now. The bad news is cadac's are now slowly building up in my collection. Looks like I'll need to start another support group. :oops: :)
Can I join?

Would you like to join my

"Tent collector's club,"?

Though we have decided "The chief advisor & I" that we will get a different van to convert to a camper, ... And keep the dellmassive wagon as it is........ That could signal the end of tent club? - but that won't be for a while. Need to rob a bank or something to pay a van and conversion.

Last edited:
Had a Cadac 2, wasn't one for cooking on my knees. So placed on a reasonable table. Having lost 2 meals over the side and down the awning. Got rid ASAP. No more ruined dinners or scrubbing walls of curry and greasy fry ups.
Disposable BBQ, no cleaning just dump, no storage, no gas, no regulators. Better taste, and a bit of warmth on a cool evening.

We have the safari chef 2 and love it. It’s compact and easily fits back into its little carry bag to be stowed in the van or carried to the beach. We use the 500g gas cylinders which are cheap (£25 for 6 from go outdoors) and one cylinder lasted a whole 15 day Scotland trip doing breakfasts and evening bbqs.
It can be placed on a table if you want to cook at a comfortable height.
Downside is it’s quite small so only really good for 2 people I’d say.View attachment 159264View attachment 159265View attachment 159267
same its a great bit of kit

Looking at the cadac 2cook pro, dimensions given cm (32x57x10) and want to fit /sit into the top of my kitchen pod which has a rear aperture for the gas . With the gas attachment being on the side of the cadac what's the overall length dimension including the gas fitting either standard or a quick release . Thx

Back