Cadac Cookers - which model?

No problem.

A little tip when you are set up, especially with the longer pieces of hose - when packing away/disconnecting, try and keep the open/male end high as you coil the hoses before connecting the ends together to trap as much of the gas as you can and always connect the open end first (the other end is self sealing on disconnect) - it's surprising how long it can take to get gas through 5 metres of hose.
Today’s top tip. Like it.

What size Cadac do people suggest for a family of 3 occasionally cooking for an extra child. We have a job in the van for boiling potatoes etc and LPG point fitted at the rear.
So will be using as BBQ\ hot plate \ oven.
I want it small so we don't have to use up room when it's packed down but I'm not wanting to cook in shifts and spend all night over the grill.

What size Cadac do people suggest for a family of 3 occasionally cooking for an extra child. We have a job in the van for boiling potatoes etc and LPG point fitted at the rear.
I want it small so we don't have to use up room when it's packed down but I'm not wanting to cook in shifts and spend all night over the grill.
There is 3 of us and we have managed with the Grillogas for the last few years. However, there have been times when a larger one would have been better so we have recently upgraded to the larger Carri Chef 2. When packed up there is not that much difference in size.

As @Davenjo suggest carri chef 2.. is ideal

Thanks

Just the advice I was after.

What extra do people actually use. I will use it as an BBQ mostly but also an oven and generally cooking outside.

Thanks

Just the advice I was after.

What extra do people actually use. I will use it as an BBQ mostly but also an oven and generally cooking outside.
I use the chef pan the most followed by the pot stand. We also use the paella pan quite a lot (some people don't bother with the chef pan and use the paella pan but the problem with that is you can't use the lid with it). Bought the pizza stone but so far had mixed results - it might be OK with a ready made pizza but I like to make my own dough, etc. - the dough tends to burn before cooked properly - will stick with it though.

Cheers

The web sites are a bit naff for working out what comes with the set up as a standard and what each thing is used for. Anyone got a good link as the Cadac page isn't great.m
To start off I think need chef pan, flat hot plate type thing and some griddle type plate that the fat can drain through
What's a braai pan?
Anyone tried roasting a whole chicken as the photos? That seems ambitious to get it warm enough?

I have ceramic pizza stones for the house already as we do our own dough. So I'll try those first. They get better with age as they get seasoned absorbing oils etc. They are now a very dark brown almost black and you can feel how smooth they are now to the open porous surface when new. Water just runs off. They are now very hydrophobic. When using them at home I've always put a liberal coating of flour on the stone before adding the the dough as well. All this seems helps them not stick and cooks the dough slower.

You might want to try using them at home a bit more to see if they can becomes seasoned quicker. You could even try rubbing with oil and cooking them on a low heat without a pizza. I suspect the Cadac has a more direct bottom heat than the oven at home so I can see why they might stick eespecially if newer stone is used.

Cheers

The web sites are a bit naff for working out what comes with the set up as a standard and what each thing is used for. Anyone got a good link as the Cadac page isn't great.m
To start off I think need chef pan, flat hot plate type thing and some griddle type plate that the fat can drain through
What's a braai pan?
Anyone tried roasting a whole chicken as the photos? That seems ambitious to get it warm enough?

I have ceramic pizza stones for the house already as we do our own dough. So I'll try those first. They get better with age as they get seasoned absorbing oils etc. They are now a very dark brown almost black and you can feel how smooth they are now to the open porous surface when new. Water just runs off. They are now very hydrophobic. When using them at home I've always put a liberal coating of flour on the stone before adding the the dough as well. All this seems helps them not stick and cooks the dough slower.

You might want to try using them at home a bit more to see if they can becomes seasoned quicker. You could even try rubbing with oil and cooking them on a low heat without a pizza. I suspect the Cadac has a more direct bottom heat than the oven at home so I can see why they might stick eespecially if newer stone is used.
We tend to use semolina and/or polenta to coat cooking surface and on the pizza peels to aid release. Your pizza stones will be fine - I used to have a couple that were well seasoned as you describe but gave them away when I built a wood burning pizza oven, complete with terracotta tile cooking base, in the garden - cooks pizza in about 90 seconds - that is now redundant though and targeted for demolition as the dome is cracked and I prefer using my big green egg now.

The Braai pan is the slight concave cooking pan that made Cadac's famous - think of it as a very shallow wok - I have never tried using one because it doesn't fit with the sort of things I cook - the chef pan, in my opinion, gives you a lot more versatility.

I've never tried roasting a chicken but no reason why it wouldn't work though.

Decide which pans you want and then look out for a combo deal that has most of what you want. This is the one I recently bought as a replacement for my Grillogas:- https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cadac-Carr...pID=41Zk5--PAvL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

I've tried polenta and semolina even a little bit in the dough and it gets too crispy. Normal finely ground pizza flour works well for us.

Cheers for the Safari link but I'm after the grill chef 2.....

With a chef pan and a couple of griddle hot plate affairs.

I've tried polenta and semolina even a little bit in the dough and it gets too crispy. Normal finely ground pizza flour works well for us.

Cheers for the Safari link but I'm after the grill chef 2.....

With a chef pan and a couple of griddle hot plate affairs.
Use 00 all the time for pizza.

Chef pan is great for a (mega) fried breakfast - get the tapas bowls and you can do beans, etc. as well.

Got to love a mega fry up.
Tapas bowls!! this thing has more extras than a BMW!
Remind me why have I got a 2 ring hob in my van?!

Ha Ha:cool:

We use the double burner inside for rice/spuds/ pasta etc
But always try to cook Al Fresco when weather is good..... always gets other campers looking and smelling.
Beer/Wine or G&T in hand and.......aaaaah! Kick back!

20180616_192054.jpg
Bought 2 pork chops..... biggest, cheapest and by far the tastiest ever!
Cadac is great....Have all variations of grill plates and all are brill and v easy to clean.
However didn't do a great job the other night cos had drunk too much !!

I'm after an external stove with a couple of gas rings for cooking the likes of fry-ups, stews, stir-frys and such outside the camper.

I'm tempted by the Cadac 2 Cook below.

710.jpg

However, a lot of folk on here have the Safari and seem to swear by them. I'm not sure a Safari would suit my needs i.e sticking a couple of pans on it though.

The 2 Cook seems to offer everything the Safari has in terms of hot-plating food, less the pizza stone and paella dish thing but I don't need them) but also has the benefit of the 2 burners for my pots and pans.

Does anyone who uses the 2 Cook wish they'd bought the Safari and, for the Safari owners, do you wish you had the 2 Cook - or something similar?

Yep, it’s fab:thumbsup: I only use the 2 cook now,

I have a cadac safari relegated to the garage, I don’t think I’ll use it again...

Which means, I suppose it’s up for sale

Yep, it’s fab:thumbsup: I only use the 2 cook now,

Cheers for that. I'm almost certain to go for one, just wanted to be sure I don't have a head-slap moment and realise I'd bought the wrong thing.

Just out of interest, do you run yours off the R 904/907 campingaz cylinders or from propane?

We went through a few 2 burner options including the Campingaz 600 ST (which has a similar set up to the Cadac 2 with griddle plates, etc.) but all disappointed- we finally settled on a Grilogas which was very well used and we upgraded to a Carri Chef 2 at the start of last year. Only one (big) burner but we use it for everything except for boiling water for rice/pasta which is about the limit of what we cook actually inside the van.

We use 907 bottles (usually via van’s external hookup) with a couple of propane cartridges in reserve as backup for when it gets too cold for butane and/or the 907 runs out. Quick release couplings enable you to readily switch as required.

Back