Gas for Jetboil and cadac safari

Strettyp

VIP Member
T6 Guru
This might be a dumb question and I considered testing it but before experimenting with gas and a naked flame I thought I would ask the collective knowledge on here

I have a Jetboil and Cadac safari chef 2

I am almost out of Jetboil gas and was wondering if I could use the same Coleman c500 canisters I have for my cadac

The Jetboil can says it's an 'isobutane/propane' mix whereas the Coleman is a 'butane/propane' mix

My uneducated guess is that the isobutane burns more intensely than boring old butane, hence giving the Jetboil the speedy boiling capability, and so using the Coleman with the Jetboil will be not great

Anyone confirm one way or t'other? Much obliged

I've used any old c500 in any of my cadac / jetboil.

All work fine, it just as you say different mix for lower temps.

more good stuff . . .

Isobutane is an isomer of butane that's produced industrially as a more ozone friendly refrigerant and aerosol propellant.

It's got a slightly lower boiling point around -10 so it's better in low temperatures and more resistant to the (in)famous pressure fade of basic butane canisters as they chill themselves.

They'll both burn pretty much the same on a warm day, but a mix with isobutane will cope a bit better on cool days. Isobutane also tends to burn cleaner so you have less sooty marks on cookware.

Back