Bt Phone Scam

Roadrunner

Grape Yellow Beach
T6 Legend
Got one from BT Technical today. My wife answered thinking it was our son phoning from work, she noted a local number and then was asked about our broadband. She past the phone to me and on the other end an Indian sounding guy asking how I was and told me he was from BT Technical, I replied I did not use them. His answer was that they supplied services to all the other suppliers. Not mine I knew as it is the old NTL World fibre. He then babbled on about broadband security but by then my wife was gesturing to cut the call so I said sorry I cannot understand you and hung up. Checking the area code which was for where we live was right but it started 313 which does not look right fro around the area I live, It should start with a 65 or higher.
Watch out for this one it was our area code followed with 131862 on the end. :mad::mad:

I always reply with " Awfully sorry but I don't speak english". This then rolls into a 10 minute conversation where the scammer is keeps getting more and more irate saying to me "You're speaking english now".

If they are trying to sell you broadband, tell them you're scared of spiders so you don't want the web in your house. Again, it hilarious listening to them trying to explain that the world wide web has nothing to do with spiders. I just keep protesting until they finally give up.

1 final one. I had a scammer trying to persuade me to give them remote access to my computer. When she said open windows, then blah blah, she asked what I could see. I replied The fields and some cows, she didn't quite understand and I kept saying other things I could see through my window. She only twigged when I asked if I could close my windows as the house was getting cold.

I have too much free time and need to get out more.

Last edited:
Some great fun can be had with these people. If Im bored I keep them chatting for as long as possible then say someone is at the door can they hold for a minute, then go off and do something else leaving them waiting.

The use of “local numbering ranges” is part of the scam to make you feel comfortable, as we’re used to the international call scams.
These ranges are leased off BT and are non-geographic numbering ranges and accessed by off shore dross.
I like to ask them to hold on for a minute. Then walk off for a while. Wastes their time holding on

Some great fun can be had with these people. If Im bored I keep them chatting for as long as possible then say someone is at the door can they hold for a minute, then go off and do something else leaving them waiting.
I used to do this before kids when I had free time. I’ve kept one in the phone for hours while watching telly. You don’t even need to talk or pay attention most of the time but the key is to judge when they are going to give up and then you start talking. If you start the call by pretending you are not tech savvy they think they’ve got you and you can literally get away with anything. I made them go through the process of connecting the remote access then made out after a while that I’d confused the computer for the microwave.

You can really take the piss and have a laugh safe in the knowledge that you are stopping them from actually getting through to a vulnerable person.

So do your civic duty and keep them talking!

Simpler times:)

all this talk of wasting the spammers time sorta reminded me of this guy....he literally had the guy on the phone all day!

I has the "we're calling about your accident" call a while back. I played along, then she asked me what injuries I sustained. The conversation went something along the lines of...

Me - They were pretty bad
Her - Oh dear, but what sort of injuries?
Me - They were fatal
Her - Oh dear, but what sort of injuries? Did you have to take time off work?
Me - I couldn't work with fatal injuries
Her - So what sort of injuries did you have?
Me - Do you know what fatal means?
Her - Yes of course.
Me - I don't think you do, I suggest you go and ask your supervisor.
Her - Give me a minute please...
Her - He's not available at the moment. Can you describe your injuries please?
Me - I had fatal injuries.

And so on...

Eventually...

Me - Is your supervisor available yet?
Her - Yes, one moment please.

30 seconds later...

Her - Click. Prrrrrrrrrrrrrr

The guy called me on the phone asking if we needed new windows I kept in chatting and listening to him for about half an hour. In the end. I said can you ring back tomorrow I’ll call the council see if they agree for you to fit them, he put the phone down LOL

• Haha
Reactions: CAB
I had this phone call as well. I gave him the details of the neighbour I hate.
What this scam is about? Can’t understand

• Haha
Reactions: CAB
It could be a genuine window company that employs a telemarketing firm, or a way of getting a 'surveyor' in to eye up your telly for a later visit, or to get a deposit out of you.

Back