DSG - Optimisation & Fault Fixing

chriscroft

15 years of VW T 'ing
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Since we got our Vel Exec in July 2016, probably the only issue we've had with it, to mean anything, has been the DSG gearbox when setting off in Reverse Up-hill.
Sometimes, when either of us jumps in it, when we've parked it facing downhill, and had to reverse out of a tight parking spot; the DSG clutch doesn't engage properly, and you end up revving the engine significantly higher than you would like to, then the clutch engages and you shoot-off in reverse, momentarily without proper control.
You are then in a situation of going for the brakes to regain control, and you can be effectively left-foot braking because you don't want the clutch to disengage because the hill-assist has now disconnected; with the potential to roll forward into any obstacles; and as you left-foot brake the engines revs automatically drop away, disengaging the clutch, allowing the van to role forward.......ah.

I've taken the vehicle twice to the dealers but just can't get the vehicle to replicate the issues, as I'm always looking for a similar set of circumstances. We have a tow bar, and trying to reverse onto a tow ball particularly on a hill or muddy ground is also very tricky to control properly and not damage the bumper by overshooting. I pointed out to the dealer that an accident was waiting to happen. We did whenever possible avoid hill parking spots, and if we did have to park on one find plenty of space, and/or reverse into the spot, so a forward gear would be all that was needed.

This summer in a strange set of events involving a slightly panicked driver (The Mrs) who had just set off in the van, and realized she had left her jacket with her new i-phone in the pocket hung on a fence post in a busy area. The situation was made about 1000% worse as she tried to turn the van around in a national trust car park, she came across 5 pathetic woke car parking attendants dressed in something approaching Nuclear-Biological-Chemical suits who totally overreacted and effectively blocked the Mrs's path, resulting in her having to park up facing downhill. Anyway, the result was in trying to reverse out with 5 daft carpark attendants stressing the situation the van rolled forward into a single low metal post (not really visible from the parked position)
IMG_6979.jpg
At least the coat and i-phone were recovered OK,

Then 3 weeks later I was parked at a busy retail park in the van on a slight incline with the nose facing downhill against steel bollards (should have reversed into the spot, but an adjacent car was over to one side); by the time I got back to the van a large panel van had parked next to me, so I was blind to one side. i engaged reverse and tried to creep out (but the van revs need to be increased far too high to engage the clutch) when a lady with a pushchair appeared from behind the parked panel van. It was a scary situation and could have ended badly. In any normal circumstance, she would have seen me start to creep backwards; but the DSG clutch didn't do that, and we went from nothing to a sudden lurch.

So that was it, I had to sort the DSG clutch once and for all. Having seen Oli's posts @BognorMotors regarding the TVS DSG-remap, I immediately pm'd Oli, and we had a good chat.
So my Van has now had a TVS DSG remap (and engine ECU remap, just for the hell of it ;) ), and to say the van is a totally fixed 100% is an understatement, It drives like a totally different van.

Reverse is perfectly controlled by just the throttle, on any gradient/terrain
If I choose to left foot brake, I now can (Launch Control:D:eek:, well sort of), without the engine revs automatically dying.
The changing pattern is more optimized
I seldom need to use sport mode, as the DSG better understands and responds to driver and terrain inputs. If you floor the throttle the van now responds as if in sport mode by dropping multiple gears, yet cruises just the same.
The Engine & DSG gearbox now feel fully Optimised

A new unpainted bumper was only £300+VAT from TPS + an insert (which I think is good value).
But more importantly, this will not happen to us again :cry:, and the van is no longer a menace to other highway users (well, mostlyo_O)

It has only just dawned on me the reason I couldn't get it to replicate the problem at the dealers, was the whole bunch of circumstances that have to be in place, such as posts to roll into just 100mm away from the front dumper; vehicles and pedestrians all around you etc etc which affects how you control the vehicle.

I would not hesitate to contact Oli if there is any aspect of what I've said that resonates with you.

Last edited:
While I didn't have the same issue, I did have issues with the DSG and it's setup.

I recently had my 150 DSG TVS tuned by @BognorMotors .
I've been holding out on a "review" of the TVS but over the last few weeks I've clocked up some more normal millage.

It's a great investment even on a standard engine, it makes progress far swifter and smoother.
Holding revs longer into the range meaning when the next gear is selected it hits the power band for that gear.
It doesn't keep holding the gear to long, sometimes it would hold the gear far to low into the rev range, causing judder which can't help clutch and engine/exhaust.
Now the engine often goes over 2k rpm which it rarely did before. I haven't found any negative effect on MPG, so this use of higher revs can only be a good thing for engine/EGR.
It now pulls off better, has the right gear when needed on roundabouts and corners. It main aim isn't to get into 7th gear as soon as possible.
If I were to be highly critical I'd like it to get into 7th at 59mph, I live on some fast 60 roads and it tends to hold 6th but I haven't seen an impact of this on MPG but the van is more eager as it's in peak torque.
I'm 100% happy with the TVS and highly recommend it, shame it's not standard.

I like the sound of some aspects of this, but I don’t like the idea of it hanging on to a gear too long when you’re accelerating, I often find mine takes too long to change up, and not to go into 7th when it reached cruising speed would do my nut in, I’d put it into Sport if I wanted it to do that. But I do like the idea of better pickup and low speed manoeuvrability.

Changes are a lot faster, it doesn’t hold the gear to long. Torque peaks at 2.2k, changes are performed at or just after peak torque. It makes progress so much quicker. Instead of changing gear and rpms dropping to 1400 and the engine struggling to get rpms up again. It changes gear and rpms are at 1600-1700 ish so closer to peak torque and easier to gain further rpms.

I had the same concerns but after driving my normal duties it’s completely put to rest.
Your welcome to test drive mine if your around Banbury or Kidderminster.

I like the sound of some aspects of this, but I don’t like the idea of it hanging on to a gear too long when you’re accelerating, I often find mine takes too long to change up, and not to go into 7th when it reached cruising speed would do my nut in, I’d put it into Sport if I wanted it to do that. But I do like the idea of better pickup and low speed manoeuvrability.
You're welcome to test drive mine also

It drives your DSG how you would a manual. It’s a fantastic upgrade for any DSG/stronic gearbox, that I guarantee will transform the drive. Comes with a money back guarantee.

It’s great to hear so much positive feedback on this modification.

Before I took it on as a business, I throughly researched it, and even added TVS to my own car (AudiRS3)at my cost, to test it extensively before investing in it as a business. We thoroughly test any product before we offer it to to market.

We became a TVS dealer weeks before the 1st lockdown, and did our first customer flashes during April. Since then, even with both lockdowns, we have carried out in excess of 55 flashes, with every single customer 100% satisfied.

Back