Broken headlight bulb retaining piece that spring clip is held by

Whowhobug

Kiwi member
Kia ora
I thought I’d upgrade my headlight bulbs... what a mistake! I followed all the tips on the forum and YouTube videos.
Unfortunately whilst removing the bulb retaining spring clip the notch it goes into broke and flew off.
Without pulling all the headlight out is it possible to use the plastic rear cover and push it against something to hold the bulb in place?
Cut down lolly stick or something?
Any ideas please?

The issue would be the heat given out by the bulb and the alignment of the bulb in relation to the reflector, affecting beam alignment.

Have you got H4 lights? If so, put a wanted advert on the forum for the part, as lots of people have H4 lights spare and they may well be able to post the part to you if it’s detachable (rather than the whole lamp, given your location).

Last edited:
Thanks but it’s the plastic that broke on the light casting and is irreparable. I am not going to fork out for a new light unit so just need some ingenuity to hold the bulb in place.
I’ll have a crack at it this evening.
I’m beginning to wish I bought one of the new Toyota vans as 9005 and 9006 bulbs just twist in without some antiquated bits of wire!

Just re-examined the phone photos and it appears a clip has gone west into the engine bay. The clip seems to fit inside a piece of the plastic housing on the headlight inner surround.
Out comes the magnet.... and maybe off goes the engine under tray!!

Back