zebra

T6 Beach 150 DSG
When I got the fog light bits off @Pauly, he said ‘take some photos’, so I’ve finally got around to writing up the fog light install for my Beach. I’ve put links to other videos and threads which explain things better than I can.

Bumper removal

Described many times on the forum and best shown in the frequently mentioned Transporter HQ videos, links below:

Second one shows disconnecting the connectors for parking sensors/fog lights/washers. Although they make it look a little easier than it seems to be the first time! Mine took quite a pull to release which seems to be common from other threads. Put down plenty of protection for laying the bumper face down. Disconnect the battery.

Bumper insert replacement and fog light install

Removing the bumper inserts (blue outline) is probably the most awkward part of this job as there they are covered by some bumper reinforcements (red outline) which are plastic welded to the bumper. This makes getting the inserts in and out a real squeeze, washing up liquid helps lubricate the whole thing.

Overview1.jpg

Release the tabs around the outside and slide it out towards the centre of the bumper. The upper tabs under the reinforcements are the most awkward but stick with it and they’ll come.

Insert1.jpg Insert2.jpg new insert.jpg

Lube up the new ones and slide them in, again it’ll take some effort to get them all the way in. Once in place, the lamps themselves slot in very easily with a locating lug on one side and two T20 screws to hold in place.

Light1.jpg

Engine bay cable routing

Fit the connectors to the lights and route the cable across the bumper towards the driver’s side. If there are parking sensors already then just follow the cable routing. There are clips on the bumper to help retain the cable, but cable ties are needed too.

lampwiring.jpg wiring.jpg

Route cables up the side of the engine bay where the other cables are routed towards the bulkhead. I used some sheathing to protect the cable. It’s easier to remove the top of the air filter box for access.

Removing lower dash

Next remove the lower dash below the steering wheel, this video show’s it best

Remove bonnet release lever, it pulls off easily. Peel back carpet to see a grommet where the bonnet release cable goes through the bulkhead. Use a cable rod to pull cable through from engine bay. Connect the earth lead to the earth stud here.

wiring2.jpg

Connecting to the BCM

(Ensure battery is disconnected)

As you’ll have seen in the video above, the BCM is located under the dash behind the steering column. Get into the footwell and look up and you’ll see two large 72pin connectors, one white and one black.

Release the white connector by pulling the black lever upwards, this lifts the connector up.

BCM4a.jpg

There’s enough slack to pull it downwards a bit to make things slightly easier. Remove the cable tie/tape on the end of the connector. Remove the outer housing by pulling the tabs at the top on both sides outwards, the inner black connector will slide out easily.

BCM1_LI.jpg

Each cable position is numbered. The ones needed are 9 and 10. Insert the wires into their respective slots until they click.

(Note: I found something odd here, although it might just have been me screwing it up. In the manuals, right and left are from the driver’s perspective. Prior to connecting the cables, I got the multimeter out to confirm that the righthand fog light was cable 10 as per the wiring diagram. Later when testing the cornering function, they were the wrong way around. So, it’s maybe worth doing a function test prior to finally buttoning everything up. Pins can be released from the connector block by inserting a couple of straightened paper clips (or the tool if you’ve got one) into small holes on the bottom of the connector block which depress the barbs and release the cable.)

Depending on the set up, you may need a power source which will go to position 11 on the block and be routed to a steady positive connection in the fuse box (SC12 in the VW wiring diagram). Mine already had this in place so wasn’t needed.

Reinsert the connector block into the white housing and redo the taping/cable tie to secure at the top.

Reinsert into the BCM and secure by pushing down the black lever.

Now release the black connector from the BCM and open it up in the same way.

Run the switch wire from the light switch position through the dash to the connector and insert the cable into position 7 on the connector block. I used some cable sheathing to protect it.

BCM8.jpg

Reassemble the white connector, as before, and reconnect to BCM. Route the other end of the switch cable up to where the headlight switch lives. Insert the cable into position 5 on the connector, the side of the connector is the retainer and needs hinging up to insert the cable.

SW1.jpg SW5.jpg

Replace all dash trim and connect up new light switch.

SW6.jpg

Coding

Once everything is back in place some coding is needed to get everything working.

For module 09 (central electronics)

09-21-7 Fog lights installed

09-12-6 Cornering lights installed/active

Other additional options are:

09-21-2 Cornering lights work on turn signal

09-21-3 Both fog lights on when in Reverse gear

09-19-5 Fog light diagnostics

09-21-5 Fog lights disabled with hi beam

09-13-6 Fog lights with coming home lights (unticked)

Check out @Pauly’s coding guide in the downloads section and the following threads

VCDS Tweaks

VCDS Common Alterations Guide

Hope this proves useful to some. Not having done much beyond an oil change before, I found the thought of doing it far more stressful than the actual doing it! Thanks to @Pauly and this forum for the wealth of knowledge and supplying all the bits.

@zebra
Depending on the set up, you may need a power source which will go to position 11 on the block and be routed to a steady positive connection in the fuse box (SC12 in the VW wiring diagram). Mine already had this in place so wasn’t needed.

sorry for the numpty question but i may be doing this in the near future if i go for changing my front & rear bumpers... did you actually need to remove the bcm as in the video above? or just access from below?

and vcds.. not sure which version to go for..

@zebra

sorry for the numpty question but i may be doing this in the near future if i go for changing my front & rear bumpers... did you actually need to remove the bcm as in the video above? or just access from below?

and vcds.. not sure which version to go for..

Hiya, you just need to access it to remove the plugs, sorry if that’s confusing. As for vcds I used obdeleven just because I got it if a guy at work and it was cheaper, worked fine though

Ah ok i didnt know about obdeleven..looks good - you obviously managed to do all you needed with it - is it an interface pc or just phone?

is it unlimited vin's or?

Last edited:
It runs off android and needs a web connection whilst being used. I use my kids’ kindle and a local hotspot through the phone to get a connection, but if you’ve got an android phone then it’s simples. I’ve used it with my other half’s phone too, so you can use your pro account on multiple devices which is handy. It’s great for what I needed and I don’t think it’s VIN limited, but there’s definitely less info/support on using it. Having said that, it’s fairly intuitive, all the coding info on this forum is the same obviously and there is a backup feature by module as a fallback.

ah ok - I've just changed to an android! cool.

thanks, i may well be back in a few weeks to ask some questions....!

@zebra

Do you know what setup would have this already done like yours? just trying to plan ahead so im not left with it all undone and i need to source a wire...(what rating would this need?) And how would i do this? piggy back? sorry im mechanical not electrical..!

thanks in advance!

I’ll have to look it up later, but from what I can remember SC12 was a 15A fuse and was labelled RFL_NSW which means reverse light and fog lamps(front). The cross section of the wire is listed as 1.0/1.5mm2 depending on equipment and on DSG diagrams it’s always 1.5mm2. I’ll dig it out later, what van have you got?

ah ok! we've a T6 Transporter 2015 build, lwb 2l 150hp. startline model..

So I had a look at this and I think you should have the wire in place. As far as I can tell it's cross section that varies, the cable is labelled 12A but pre 2016 the SC12 fuse was 20A, after that it was 15A. Best way to check of course is to have a look, taking the lower dash off is pretty quick and easy to have a look at the BCM plug. Check the fusebox for SC12, there's a layout in the downloads section.

Ignore the 12A
All the wiring diagrams say xxA where xx is the fuse number
It’s weird because it looks like a current rating but it’s not, haven’t figured out why they do it ?

ok thanks guys i'll take a look at this tomorrow night. The lower dash is still off from the last mod i did so i can check easily.

just need to buy the bumpers (@Pauly they should come with the fog lights and wire harnesses...i'll let you know if i need sth!)

@zebra @Pauly just had an email from the guy who has the bumpers (the front one has the foglights in..). He said to check that the bcm will accept fog lights..? is it possible that it wont? im thinking that obviously there is a chance the cabling isnt there but..?

and - the bumper in question has holes & fixings for pdc sensors...but i dont have these at the front.. Can i buy blanking plugs anywhere? i wasnt going to add the sensors at the front..(pauly - i have a pioneer aftermarket radio, and sensors at the rear that work great. what would it cost to have the front sensors (4?) and the cables and beeper? would this work?)

thanks in advance!

Last edited:
im guessing to look at the bcm i need to disconnect the battery as the bcm has to come out right?

Back