Broadband Recommendations

been with bt for 10 years, alwyas been very reliable compared to those i know with virgin. tv not the best offering but IPTV takes care of that for me.
Maybe we need a thread on how to set up IPTV for dummies ;)

Why not cancel it and work off a 4g modem and then resign up as a new customer at that cheaper rate.
I did think of that but I think you have to leave for quite a long time. :/

You can get an idea of what people are actually paying for the various providers' services at www.ismybillfair.com. I'm with Virgin. As was said before, trying to remove the landline element probably won't make much difference, but if you find out what other people are paying on ismybillfair you should then ring Virgin and tell them them you are changing to whoever you can find is cheapest, and quote their figure. This gets you put through to the department that is able to make lower offers to you. I saved about £25/month recently and got my broadband upgraded from 70 to 150+ Mbs. Sometimes I get 280Mb/s which at least means everyone in the household can run everything like Xboxes and Zoom calls simultaneously.

Thanks @Mccoatup ..just tried ur link ...I’ll get some use out of that....I can feel some savings come on ;)

I’m binning BT after 18 years. I’m paying £46 a month for broad band and phone. Don’t even have a phone plugged in.

Going to go for three home broadband for £22 a month, unlimited 4g internet. No line as it uses the mobile network.

If you order online you get next day delivery and a cooling off period if the service is no good.

You can also plug in an external aerial to improve reception and I believe it runs off 12v so it’ll work when away in the van.

I’m binning BT after 18 years. I’m paying £46 a month for broad band and phone. Don’t even have a phone plugged in.

Going to go for three home broadband for £22 a month, unlimited 4g internet. No line as it uses the mobile network.

If you order online you get next day delivery and a cooling off period if the service is no good.

You can also plug in an external aerial to improve reception and I believe it runs off 12v so it’ll work when away in the van.

That sounds interesting and worth having a look at. What speeds are they getting?

A mate of mine picked one up a couple of months back.

With an external aerial he peaked at 111Mbps but it was slower on the built in aerial.

Last edited:
Has anyone tried CityFibre yet? I see Voda are hosting it in my area and, for £25 for a landline + 200Mbps internet, am tempted to leave Virgin Media for it

I think all providers have some haggling allowance, Sky definitely do if you’re stubborn and persistent.
I had a lightning strike take out the router, because I was out of contract they wanted to charge for an engineer to fault find and then charge for a new router. It took a few calls but I managed to get both free and get a much better priced contract than first one they offered.

Back