Broadband Recommendations

Skyliner33

VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Thinking about trying to get a better deal for my broadband.

I currently have a package deal from Virgin Media. (Broadband, Tv and Phone.)

However I hardly ever use the landline phone or the TV box.

I'm thinking therefore of (binning off the TV box and landline) getting a broadband only deal and looking into IPTV.

Anyone else done this and got any recommendations / advice.

I dont want to sign up to a 12 or 18 month contract and find its rubbish.

You will be more likely restricted by who offers what in your area.

I currently have BT Business broadband but Gigaclear are planning to drop in fibre to the premises this year(was this quarter) and I'll swap to that and drop the compulsory BT landline at that time.

i looked at binning off my landline last time around...(i don't have a phone plugged in to it, the only thing that used to use it was my alarm (for sending texts) but i upgraded that last year so now thats done over the internet). dropping the landline either limited providers (all the ADSL/FTTC) or in virgins case, didn't make it any cheaper not to have it. there are the 'mobile' providers offering 4g/5g options however that would largely depend on your usage/area/required speed.

Here is a good start point to see whats available if you didn't know already - Compare Best Broadband Deals: MoneySavingExpert

Once FTTP becomes more mainstream, i expect a lot of people will bin off the landline. if you like the idea of having a home phone/local number line you can get a sip number for free and use it for incoming calls/VMs..I've been doing this for years...in fact I've got several, one specific one i use for telemarketers which goes directly to VM!

I'm with Virgin and although the Tivo box gets no use whatsoever (Landline vry little) in my exprience is cheaper to bundle and have them sat there than without £31pm 100MB/Anytime Calls/Mix TV

Virgin have just rolled out their fibre in our area and im currently with sky. Was wondering if anyone on virgin can recommend them?.

Virgin have just rolled out their fibre in our area and I'm currently with sky. Was wondering if anyone on virgin can recommend them?.

Only if you get a decent deal, like I did or are prepared to haggle after your introductory offer ends. Service wise,can't complain broadband reliable and speeds consistent (lowest 89 on a 100 line) if speed is your thing

They did get my contract wrong (twice) which took 2 days on the phone to sort out, and I've never had to log a fault so YMMV

I'm with Virgin and although the Tivo box gets no use whatsoever (Landline vry little) in my exprience is cheaper to bundle and have them sat there than without £31pm 100MB/Anytime Calls/Mix TV
How did you manage to get that deal?

I was on the phone and they said the best they can do on my current package is £49. Thats 100MB / Talk weekend/ lowest tv package. Hmmm

Luck of the draw. Went the thinking of leaving us route (from memory it was option 1 then 5) Got straight to a England/Scotland call centre (so no doubt another thing in my favour) and quoted there intro offer for new customers (£40ish quid) at the time, then a deal from PlusNet (broadband 70MB and anytime calls) which was £36.99PM

Honestly not holding out for that deal to be repeated again come contract renewal

Running down our road is BT and virgin.

Currently we are with BT and as an existing customer I think we are being ripped off

All we need is broadband and a phone line - so no TV , no sport

Last time I looked it appeared a cartel was in operation ......

Out of interest I've just tried using:

Broadband Deals - Compare Best March 2020 Broadband Packages | Uswitch.com

For our address and our current provider is so far down the list

Bye bye BT when our agreement ends ......
I have already checked that. If I say I dont have broadband at the moment, the Virgin Media package, BB with Tv and weekends landline is pretty much at the top of the list, but for £29 - £20 less than I've been offered as an existing customer. Damn rip off. :devil::devil::devil::devil:

I have already checked that. If I say I dont have broadband at the moment, the Virgin Media package, BB with Tv and weekends landline is pretty much at the top of the list, but for £29 - £20 less than I've been offered as an existing customer. Damn rip off. :devil::devil::devil::devil:

Maybe tell them you ARE leaving ............. and see what happens to the price then .............

Virgin have just rolled out their fibre in our area and im currently with sky. Was wondering if anyone on virgin can recommend them?.
Hi @fezza68 ...we had BT by default (cable issues with virgin ) the speed that BT promised never got close and the the drop out on some days was very frustrating.....lots of calls made and lots of porky pies given...
But we kept pushing Virgin ...finally got it ...package is M200 (no tv ) + landline...Every Service provider has good/bad points...
We choose Virgin because with higher speeds you get better live streaming and things like Apple FaceTime work so much better..but a lot depends what your requirements are......but I live in an area that’s not yet got Openreach (BT) superdooper fibre...my way of thinking is don’t get sucked into a long contract as it allows you to haggle more on price at the end or change providers:thumbsup:

We have Virgin in the pavement outside.

What really hacks me off is that "other providers" who use the BT network are so much cheaper than BT .................

We get about 26-28 download on our BT which is good enough for our needs (not what my son says but he's not paying the bills!)

Are you happy with the new price?
Not really, I told them I would have a look round and come back to cancel when I found something. Cant be happy paying £49 when a new customer pays £29 for the same thing. Whatever happened to rewarding loyalty :devil:

Why not cancel it and work off a 4g modem and then resign up as a new customer at that cheaper rate.

been with bt for 10 years, alwyas been very reliable compared to those i know with virgin. tv not the best offering but IPTV takes care of that for me.

Back