Thinking of moving to Sky Glass?

Tourershine

Senior Citizen.
VIP Member
T6 Master
I recently moved into a bungalow that I've spent months renovating. We decided early on, that we didn't want a dish on the outside of the house, so Sky Glass was the perfect answer for me, being a long term Sky customer. The idea of everything in one unit really appealed, and even though I'd had the sparks put three double plugs where the TV was going, to plug in all the tech I had at the old house, I was still content with this one single plug option. For those that aren't aware of Sky Glass, it's apparently the way all TV's will be going, housing everything from the surround sound, to the Wifi inside the TV and all Chanels will be streamed, so no need for a dish or even a phone line if you do things the way I have. This reduced my monthly outgoing to Sky by half and included a new 55" TV. What's not to love?

I did my due diligence and spent ages watching Youtube reviews on the new Sky Glass and the performance of the TV and all I can say is although the TV is lovely and feels great quality, the people reviewing this product must of been either tone deaf or working for Sky's social media department, because this thing is little more than an over engineered box of glitches.
The sound quality is certainly better than a standard TV with no extra soundbar or surround system, but does it compete with these systems or even match it? No it doesn't one bit.
However, this isn't the main fail with this system. The main problem with Sky Glass is the software. If you are used to Sky Q, then you'd imagine this would just be a better version of Q, it's not, not by a long mile. It's complicated, and about as intuitive as a 1990s calculator. Not a day goes past where we don't have to switch it off at the plug and re-start it. It's slow to respond to anything you input. Live TV freezes constantly and by constantly, I mean literally every few minutes at certain times of the day. So much so, that no one in my house actually watches TV anymore (maybe that was their plan) they just watch Netflix or Amazon, which by the way, work faultlessly and never glitch or freeze, even though they are streamed through the Sky TV.
My first issue was a vibrating speaker a day after delivery, but to be fair to Sky, they sent a new replacement TV out next day, but that's as far as they've been helpful. I've spoken to Sky on several occasions, but they either don't really know what to do, other than reset the TV or they say it's my Wifi, which is actually 3x faster than it was as the old house and never lets us down on any other device. We also have a Sky puck, which is basically a mini Sky box for another room and weirdly, this never freezes or glitches.

I've done all the Googling and read all the Sky forum Q&A's which are mainly about the exact same issues I'm having and tried all the different suggestions with no improvement, so currently I'm just putting up with it on the hopes that Sky will release a software update that fixes these well reported problems. Don't get me wrong, it's a fantastic idea, but it's been released to the public way way way before it's ready to use without problems. The annoying thing is my Mother signed up to Glass after I told her about it, and her's has been faultless, as is many other peoples.

All I can say is if you are thinking about moving from Sky Q to Sky Glass, then maybe wait a little longer or at the least, have a quick read on Trustpilot about Glass. Something I wish I'd of done before committing.

Ah, that’s where you’ve been. Hope the new place is working out well.

I don’t know what it is with smart televisions but I hear you about the tech - our new Samsung can wobble and crash if you try to do too much. It’s odd when you consider the Apple TV or Amazon Firestick modules just work.

Talking of three plugs - one thing about new TV’s I do like though is the remote ‘ECU’ they have, meaning I mounted my TV on the wall and only had to hide one 6mm cable, it running to the control box that sits 3 metres away with all the HDMI and power leads running in to that. Absolute genius of an idea.

I pay a small fortune into Sky's coffers every month. I have their phone package, unlimited FTC broadband, Sky Q (including Sports and Films) and 2 mini boxes - they're well & truly embedded in my set-up and have been for over 20 years. Like you, I considered Sky Glass in order to reduce the monthly bills, but I wasn't convinced they could match the picture and sound quality of my lounge set-up, let alone that of my cinema set-up, so I decided to stay with what I have.

Over the years I've had various problems with each iteration of Sky product and the only way I've ever had resolution is when I've threatened to leave - almost certainly an empty threat on my part, but nonetheless an effective one. The guys in the cancellation department have a lot more authority to be flexible and they can put you in touch with internal technical departments that can be persuaded to work with you to resolve issues (typical techies!)

So that's my recommendation - threaten to leave. It cuts out the call-centre bods who are only authorised to follow their scripts and can open the door to their technicians.

:slow rofl:
This so reminds of swimbo every time the contracts up put me through to the cancellation department! She always gets a cracking deal come the end of the phone call! To be fair was looking at the sky glass but I’ve gone through so much destruction and construction to hide all wires ( my pet hate ) in bedrooms and built fake chimney breast to hide sky Q box in living room I think is it worth it

:slow rofl:
This so reminds of swimbo every time the contracts up put me through to the cancellation department! She always gets a cracking deal come the end of the phone call! To be fair was looking at the sky glass but I’ve gone through so much destruction and construction to hide all wires ( my pet hate ) in bedrooms and built fake chimney breast to hide sky Q box in living room I think is it worth it
Cables are just sooo passé darling :rofl:

… and according to tonight’s MSE Sky are hiking their prices by £67

You say “Sky” yet I hear “Amatrad” - that’s where Sky Glass is as the moment! Correct direction of travel, just a pants product

Back